I was at a verizon store yesterday replacing my alltel pearl, and asked the rep about using my grandmas upgrade (on another account) and putting it on mine right away what that would do for handling the warranty through Verizon. he told me that since the data phone plan wouldnt be on her line for more then a few minutes (what he said was less then a day) she would have no charges for that change
    but he told me that although it was a grey area that if they saw on their computer that the swap was done right there right away and there was no suspicion that as long as the phone was instock, they would handle the warranty in the store for a year. i forgot to ask but im sure it still wouldnt allow for me to buy insurance through them?

but then the rep went to tell me i needed a verizon rate plan for a verizon device? i like the 1st thing he said. but how could i go about telling him the alltel data plan i have is fine? calling *611 from in the store?
    Thoughts?
    12-02-09 05:10 PM
    You had data on your pearl so you shouldn't have to make any changes to your plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 07:20 PM
    He's trying to make some money on selling a Verizon plan.
    Just tell him you'll get the device from another rep., by phone or online.
    You can get a Verizon device and keep your Alltel plan, maybe you should tell him to stop lying to you or ask him if he's really that incompetent at doing his job or tell him to quit being a used car salesman.
    What I've found is some Rep. don't know how to activate a device on an Alltel plan or put it in the computer. It took 4 reps. in the store to get a family members Alltel planned phone going.
    12-02-09 07:33 PM
    You can get a Verizon device and keep your Alltel plan, maybe you should tell him to stop lying to you or ask him if he's really that incompetent at doing his job or tell him to quit being a used car salesman.
    What I've found is some Rep. don't know how to activate a device on an Alltel plan or put it in the computer. It took 4 reps. in the store to get a family members Alltel planned phone going.
    YEAH! That's right! Tell him he's a stupid dumbface!!!

I really like your approach, it's very........adult.
    12-02-09 07:36 PM
    +1! I tell customers this everyday they are concerned about upgrading their device to a VZW. Just let them know to not let a sales rep try and talk them into getting a VZW plan if they don't want it, because most of the time it isn't required that they change.

There are a few times where the customer must change their plan to use some features like V Cast TV.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 12-02-09 at 07:42 PM.
    12-02-09 07:37 PM
    YEAH! That's right! Tell him he's a stupid dumbface!!!

I really like your approach, it's very........adult.
    What he is saying is true. A lot of reps do not have a clue about Alltel pricing and features. They will tell customers that texting and data will not work on their VZW phone, because they're on an Alltel rate plan. This isn't just store reps either. After customers are told one thing and then have doubts guess what they do? Call into customer service or tech support to be told otherwise.

Makes the customer mad and we get the heat from it when NPS comes back -100. Trust me, there's a few scores that come back with negative comments regarding the previous reps and positive comments about how I dealt with the customer.

The amount of confusion and misinformation regarding the VZW/Alltel merger is ridiculous. Customers get 100 different answers for 1 question.
    12-02-09 07:41 PM
    What he is saying is true. A lot of reps do not have a clue about Alltel pricing and features. They will tell customers that texting and data will not work on their VZW phone, because they're on an Alltel rate plan. This isn't just store reps either. After customers are told one thing and then have doubts guess what they do? Call into customer service or tech support to be told otherwise.

Makes the customer mad and we get the heat from it when NPS comes back -100. Trust me, there's a few scores that come back with negative comments regarding the previous reps and positive comments about how I dealt with the customer.

The amount of confusion and misinformation regarding the VZW/Alltel merger is ridiculous. Customers get 100 different answers for 1 question.
    And I totally agree with you, the information provided and the information given is completely wrong or contradictory. I was poking fun at his method, to tell the rep he is "incompetent", to "stop lying". That was classic.
    12-02-09 07:47 PM
    I guess supermario28 took me wrong or maybe I gave bad advice.

But I have VERY LITTLE patience with someone trying to sell me something I DO NOT need. And I think anybody would or should have issue with that.
    12-02-09 07:50 PM
    I don't believe that the warranty does carry over from one account to another. I know that when processing an alternate upgrade on the same account, the warranty remains intact, but when you switch to another account entirely, I don't believe the warranty carries over, though I'm not 100% positive on this, and will do a little more research to find out for sure...

Either way, ask the rep to note both accounts thoroughly about the transaction and when the phone was purchased, and that when you purchased the phone, the representative told you that the warranty would carry over... That way, several months down the line, if the phone turns out to be defective, even if the warranty would normally not carry over, the note is there as proof of what the representative indicated...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-03-09 at 12:32 AM.
    12-03-09 12:29 AM
    So even if the rep x months down the road could want to say no go on a warranty I could ask them to document it all on each account sort of as proof? Thanks for the info

12-03-09 01:12 AM
    Yes (usually)...
    For the most part, reps are going to go by the notes over the customer's word. Because there are the dishonest people out there who want something, so they'll call in and say so and so and their local store told him/her that we would give them a new phone for no charge. But when the rep doesn't see that in the notes, they have to make a judgment call...

But if there is a note there stating what another rep had said, even if its wrong information, the rep will usually (still no guarantee), go by the note (unless its something ridiculous).

But really, all the rep has to do is open the account that the phone was purchased on, see the upgrade code and match up the ESN making sure its the same one as your phone, and there is proof of date of purchase and purchase method...

Again, no guarantees, but at least that way everything is documented, and you have leverage if an issue arises...
    12-03-09 01:30 AM
    Okay thank you. Would anyone happen to know if any of this is possible at another store like say bestbuy (do they have fees associated with taking the discounted phone off the line) and would BB maybe allow u to insure the phone thru them on the 2nd line the phone is activated on? I guess the only point to this would be paying a price matched 120 instead of 300 then 100MIR

12-03-09 01:35 AM
    Don't assume that he's lying, he might not have known any better.

12-03-09 01:46 AM
    Don't assume that he's lying, he might not have known any better.

I didn't assume anything which is why I also added incompetent.
    And you can't argue with incompetent if he didn't know any better.
    If you read the full post, and I will not "assume" you didn't, I tried covering the full spectrum of possibilities.
    12-03-09 09:45 AM
    I know we are not talking about CB members, but lets lighten up on the negative talk about others. Not every rep of every company is aware of EVERY policy.
    12-03-09 09:59 AM
    does anyone know if you could do all of that at another store? or strictly verizon
    12-04-09 12:56 PM
    Third party retailers are usually pretty limited in what they can do. Typically I believe they do not have access directly to the billing system, so could not add features that really aren't meant to be added on to an account....

I actually just went back and read your post again, and it seems that you're referring to their service plan... Unfortunately I'm not entirely certain, but I don't believe the PSP is limited by the line that the upgrade was purchased on, though I'm not 100% positive...
    12-04-09 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD