Alright so I need the experts on this one!!

Alright well anyways my mom got a palm preo and treo from my uncle. They were used phones and there ((sprint phones)). & my mom me asked me, if there's anyway she can convert the palm preo & treo that she got to are ((verizon)) network. So what I'm asking you guys is there anyway this is possible? Can we unlock them or get them to work on are verizon network in anyway? Thanks for your time any answers are appreciated =] =].

Thx

-L0VEx
    03-21-09 01:33 PM
    Very difficult to do if not impossible. It's not easy like GSM carriers.
    03-21-09 01:36 PM
    I doubt vzw will allow a sprint device on their network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 02:28 PM
    I doubt vzw will allow a sprint device on their network

Yea but do I have to call & tell them I'm trying. Or can I figure it out without doing something like calling verizon. What about unlocking it is that possible?
    03-21-09 03:13 PM
    Do you have current service with VZW and have the phones' ESNs been released by Sprint?

03-21-09 03:22 PM
    Do you have current service with VZW and have the phones' ESNs been released by Sprint?

Yes I'm currently with verizon. And yea I have the ESN.
    03-21-09 04:17 PM
    If you want to use a Sprint phone you're gonna have to get Sprint service. The ESNs aren't in Verizon's pool and they won't activate on the network.

03-21-09 05:15 PM
    Yea but do I have to call & tell them I'm trying. Or can I figure it out without doing something like calling verizon. What about unlocking it is that possible?
    Nope, Sorry to say VZW would have to approve the device.
    03-21-09 05:22 PM

Yea that's what I was thinking in the long run, I kinda figured that. Well it really doesn't effect me in anyway I got the storm. But ill have to break the bad news to my mom. Thanks for the info man.
    03-21-09 06:34 PM
    True, true - but I have heard of people getting VZW service online, then activating a Sprint phone. Don't know if VZW might catch it later, but it might be worth a try.

Personally, since we're talking Pre & Treo here, I'd probably eBay the things & get real smartphones.

03-21-09 06:43 PM
    Theoretically, it's possible... But you basically have to know someone on the inside who's willing to risk their job and add the ESN to the pool...

03-21-09 07:21 PM
    Theoretically, it's possible... But you basically have to know someone on the inside who's willing to risk their job and add the ESN to the pool...
    In reality, nothing theoretical about it. It would be a simple thing and in keeping with VZW's promise a few years ago to open their network.

I could see keeping out some of the foreign models, but come on - they took Qwest phones, and now Alltel phones. There is literally no hardware differences between VZW phones & like models on Sprint or USCellular or even the Canadian CDMA carriers.

Mind you, I am venting on this and have no qualms with what any of you are saying - I just think this is one of those rare instances where VZW is really being stupid.

Let's see here - exact phone with minor software differences & maybe a case color variation. No subsidy to cover, but a happy customer gained. And who knows? In a short period, these same customers will be buying a VZW branded device anyway. Make them load VZW software & let them keep their device.

03-21-09 08:26 PM
    Funny

We spoke about this very issue the other day at work with a high ranking VZW person. Currently there is small list of devices that VZW will allow on the network, where this list is I do not know. In order to make this happen there is testing of each type of device that has be run.

Now with that mind, yes technology is the same, but it might be suttle differences that make the device a resource hog on the VZW netwrok, or securoty issue for the network. This is company line, wether it is true or not, I have no idea.

There is also open development that will allow outside developers to design and get there devices on the network. The only info I have on this can be found here.

https://www22.verizon.com/opendev/
    03-21-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD