12-08-08 11:46 AM
34 12
tools
    Hi all,

Friend of mine has Verizon, wants to get a Pearl because it's free and he likes it, but doesn't want the data/broadband access - just wants to call and text. Verizon is telling him he has to get a broadband plan.

Is this correct? If he gets a Pearl with Verizon, does he HAVE to add the data/broadband plan?

(I'm a T-Mobile user and I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could just have a calling/minutes plan and no data).

Thanks in advance for your help!

B346
    11-14-08 08:33 AM
    in order to activate a blackberry on verizon's network, data plan is required, or else its not possible
    11-14-08 08:43 AM
    This is provider specific, different networks are configured differently, I have heard of providers that do not have the requirement of a data plan.
    11-14-08 08:45 AM
    Verizon requires it, HOWEVER, my cousins both have berry's with no data plan. You can either call CS beforehand and have them do it (which is what they did, after lots of aruging/begging/pleading they finally did it) or i've heard you can buy it activate data and then call CS and cancel afterwards, but that's too risky for me
    11-14-08 09:08 AM
    Verizon requires it, HOWEVER, my cousins both have berry's with no data plan. You can either call CS beforehand and have them do it (which is what they did, after lots of aruging/begging/pleading they finally did it) or i've heard you can buy it activate data and then call CS and cancel afterwards, but that's too risky for me
    not really your best bet, because you risk getting locked into a 2 year contract. so i wouldn't recommend banking on pleading for the OP
    11-14-08 09:19 AM
    My understanding is it must have a data plan. I think there are different price points depending on the usage but don't know for sure. For me having internet on the go is part what makes a Berry a Berry. Nice to google ANYTHING on the go and get an answer from IMDB questions, to restaraunt address's & numbers and all that. That's just me though 8-)
    11-14-08 09:19 AM
    not really your best bet, because you risk getting locked into a 2 year contract. so i wouldn't recommend banking on pleading for the OP

You'd have to get into the 2 year contract anyways, even if you did sign up for data, so why not call CS and try to get them to not sign you up for it?
    11-14-08 12:41 PM
    Blackberrys will not take programing without a data plan.
    11-25-08 08:41 AM

this is true... one rep tried to cancel not knowing full well it was required. I did a future price plan change with opting out on data. Come the next bill cycle the plan never changed at all. When I spoke to a new rep, they said the system just didn;t take it and that is why the entire plan change that I did never went through.

They did fix the plan for me later since that was my original intent but I still had to hold on to the data plan as well
    11-25-08 08:59 AM
    This it not true with all devices on all carriers. Vzw is one of the very small number of carriers who require that a data plan be active.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 09:04 AM
    Verizon will put the data plan on automatically.. but if you call and fight with verizon CS enough you might be able to take it off.. good luck!
    12-02-08 09:11 AM
    verizon strikes again with its nickle n diming tactics and backdoor deals that always make you pay MORE and MORE!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-02-08 at 09:21 AM.
    12-02-08 09:16 AM
    verizon strikes again with its nickle n diming tactics and backdoor deals that always make you pay MORE and MORE!
    Hmm. Explain how a required data plan, which vzw let's you know about up front, is a "backdoor" tactic by which they nickle and dime you? Really. I'd like to know.

12-02-08 09:23 AM
    Don't get him started. He has Verizon, yet very rarely has anything complimentary to say about the service. Check out some of the other posts.

12-02-08 01:57 PM
    Hmm. Explain how a required data plan, which vzw let's you know about up front, is a "backdoor" tactic by which they nickle and dime you? Really. I'd like to know.

because they intentionally eliminated wifi from devices that support in other companies, and then they require u to have a data plan on top of that while others do not! Dude, u dont need to be a detective to figure it out! Its common sense

I have verizon for a long time, I dont hate them, but be real as to what it does bad, I'm real as to what they do good.
    12-02-08 04:42 PM
    because they intentionally eliminated wifi from devices that support in other companies, and then they require u to have a data plan on top of that while others do not! Dude, u dont need to be a detective to figure it out! Its common sense

I have verizon for a long time, I dont hate them, but be real as to what it does bad, I'm real as to what they do good.
    I will let you believe that VZW is nickle and diming if that's what you want to do, but you can hardly say VZW uses "backdoor" tactics since you knew the device had no wifi and required a data pkg when you purchased it.

Sometimes, you just need to take personally responsibility for your actions...actually, most of the time you need to do that. If you bought a device that required a data pkg and had no wifi, then that's a decision you have to live with. Changing your mind after the fact doesn't mean that VZW used "backdoor" tactics.
    12-03-08 10:39 AM
    I dont know what to tell ya! You believe ompanies can do whatever they want as long as customers are willing to put up with it! Lets agree to disagree because very good counter arguments to what u have said have been exhausted before. You just chose to ignore them
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-03-08 at 04:03 PM.
    12-03-08 12:16 PM
    I dont know what to tell ya! You believe ompanies can do whatever they want as long as customers are willing to put up with it! Lets agree to disagree because very good counter arguments to what u have said have been exhausted before. You just chose to ignore them
    I will not ignore them once I hear a good counter argument.
    12-03-08 11:12 PM
    I will not ignore them once I hear a good counter argument.
    indesputable counter argument:

verizon wireless monopolizes on its VZ Nav in the exact same way microsoft was found guilty of monopilzing its practice not allowing 3rd party apps in its operating system (firefox, safari, chrome, etc). In your way of thinking, you would say that if you agree to purchase it knowing full well what microsoft has done, then you have to accept the concequences or switch to Mac.

With VZ nav, your saying if you sign your contract knowing full well verizon locks its GPS to its own navigation service, you have to accept the concequences or switch to another carrier. The only difference is the magnitude of the violation and therefore, the outcry for government intervention

in a free market, you can't just do whatever you want so long as people signed up and accepted the concequense. That's why its a "regulated" free market!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-04-08 at 07:49 AM.
    12-04-08 07:18 AM
    indesputable counter argument:

verizon wireless monopolizes on its VZ Nav in the exact same way microsoft was found guilty of monopilzing its practice not allowing 3rd party apps in its operating system (firefox, safari, chrome, etc). In your way of thinking, you would say that if you agree to purchase it knowing full well what microsoft has done, then you have to accept the concequences or switch to Mac.

With VZ nav, your saying if you sign your contract knowing full well verizon locks its GPS to its own navigation service, you have to accept the concequences or switch to another carrier. The only difference is the magnitude of the violation and therefore, the outcry for government intervention

in a free market, you can't just do whatever you want so long as people signed up and accepted the concequense. That's why its a "regulated" free market!
    Please try to stay on-topic. You don't win the argument by changing the subject. We were discussing your assertion that VZW "backdoors" it's customers as it relates to wifi and the data package.

To me the term "backdoor" means that VZW changed something after the fact without your knowledge and acceptance.

So, in order for your argument to stand, then you would have had to had purchase a device that in fact had wifi capabilities and didn't require a data pkg and VZW would then, without your knowledge, have disabled or removed the wifi capability and institued a new policy requiring a data packager.

Neither of those things occurred since any Blackberry on VZW has never had wifi capability and for as long as I am aware they have required a data pkg. Since neither of those things occurred and nothing has changed concerning the wifi and data package since you knowingly entered into an agreement with VZW, then you were NOT "backdoored."
    12-04-08 09:02 AM
    I'll play...

I'm not changing the subject by any means. VZ nav is just one issue, wifi is another.

Backdoor is implying that something was done behind the scenes (planning/implimenting) to benefit the company... usually at the table at VZW headquarters right?

OK... so with respect to wifi and data. When they decide, hey, lets take wifi out of a phone that already supports it (to save money on the chip of course), and then "require" a date plan to access the internet (for a fee), then force our computer system to register it that way so not even the techs and reps can change it, thats backdoor planning.

If they placed a wifi chip in their BB devices (which we all know other BB curves have), and then dropped the requirement for data, which is 100% possible as other companies have done, many more people would opt out and verizon will lose money. Difference is that this is money verizon should not have been getting to begin with (hense the backdoor deals or whatever you want to call it that allowed them to get away with this).

This is verizon making you get something the way they want ... of course "the way they want" always means, lock/eliminate, PAY MORE!

Its as simple as that...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-04-08 at 10:09 AM.
    12-04-08 09:25 AM
    To answer the original question:
    As of Novemebr 16th, PDA's cannot be activated without a data plan. If you purchased and activated before that date you are grandfathered in until they change esn's or purchase a new device.
    12-04-08 09:37 AM
    VZW requires a data plan for BB's and other smartphones. If your friend wants a Blackberry without a data plan T-Mobile & AT&T do not require them.
    12-04-08 10:51 AM
    I'll play...

I'm not changing the subject by any means. VZ nav is just one issue, wifi is another.

Backdoor is implying that something was done behind the scenes (planning/implimenting) to benefit the company... usually at the table at VZW headquarters right?

OK... so with respect to wifi and data. When they decide, hey, lets take wifi out of a phone that already supports it (to save money on the chip of course), and then "require" a date plan to access the internet (for a fee), then force our computer system to register it that way so not even the techs and reps can change it, thats backdoor planning.

If they placed a wifi chip in their BB devices (which we all know other BB curves have), and then dropped the requirement for data, which is 100% possible as other companies have done, many more people would opt out and verizon will lose money. Difference is that this is money verizon should not have been getting to begin with (hense the backdoor deals or whatever you want to call it that allowed them to get away with this).

This is verizon making you get something the way they want ... of course "the way they want" always means, lock/eliminate, PAY MORE!

Its as simple as that...
    i have the same retort to everyone who says, "i want wifi in this phone or that phone"

buy one of the following phones
    xv6700
    xv6800
    omnia
    i760
    i730
    and be done with it.

otherwise, quit yer cryin.

not tryin to flame, but this is an argument that goes for months and months with no resolution.

oh, and not all curves have WIFI. the 8310 lacks wifi. as does the 8300

edit: mis-read your post. thought you said all curves have wifi...
    Last edited by vandebe; 12-04-08 at 04:34 PM. Reason: mis-read
    12-04-08 04:32 PM
    I'll play...

Its as simple as that...
    Yet the fact still remains that you bought the phone knowing it did not have wifi and required a capability. I have no problem with you wishing it did have wifi and did not require a data pkg. However, you purchased the device knowing the conditions. You were not backdoored.

If they had taken your wifi capability away and forced you to take a data package after your purchased your device, then you would have a case for "backdoor." That isn't what happened though.
    12-04-08 04:42 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD