05-05-08 03:30 AM
36 12
tools
    Hey gang,
    Need to get some opinions on what do with my 8130. VZW has sent me 4 8130's and now the 4th one is malfunctioning. VZW keeps offering to send me new ones, but I am starting to give up on the 8130 as a whole (Spoke to RIM today and they cant even resolve the issue) My question to everyone is this, should I get a 5th Pearl and give it a try or try to bargain for a Curve when they are released in trade for this 8130. The 2nd part of my question is, should I even give VZW another shot at giving me a phone that works properly or jump over to a new carrier, say, AT&T? Ive been a VZW customer for 9 years and love the coverage, service etc, but 4 new phones in 60 days is a little annoying.....any advice would be appreciated!
    04-17-08 09:22 PM
    switch to t mobile lol
    04-17-08 09:25 PM
    What's wrong with them? Bargain for the curve
    04-17-08 09:28 PM
    What's wrong with them? Bargain for the curve
    Well all 4 of the 8130's have the same issue. The "ABC" that appears in the top right hand corner when typing an e-mail will not go away, even on my home screen. The "ABC" covers my battery indicator on the home screen. I use multitap vs suretype. We have tried suretype and it still does it. Hard resets, updating the OS, new phones, nothing has fixed this issue. My girlfriend has a Pink 8130, no problems. Same phone internally according to RIM, not the same phone IMO. It's the little things that really annoy me, otherwise phone works great.

And NO Im not getting a Pink 8130!

Bart
    04-17-08 09:47 PM
    I'm not an expert on operating a Pearl, but it would seem logical, that if you've had 4 phones, all with the issue, then perhaps you are not operating the phone correctly.
    04-17-08 10:02 PM
    I'm not an expert on operating a Pearl, but it would seem logical, that if you've had 4 phones, all with the issue, then perhaps you are not operating the phone correctly.

We have eliminated that possibility, I took the Pink pearl and used it the same way for several days, no problems..... who knows what is causing this....
    04-17-08 10:08 PM
    Dude, go here.... 101 Demonstrator for the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Smartphone. Verizon

Go to Basics and Typing Basics in the Tutorial. ABC is the indicator for Multi-Tap, which is what you're using. If you're in Multi-tap mode, the ABC indicator will BE ON. It's normal for a BB to indicate this. Even T-Mobile 8100s do this. Non-QWERTY BBs all do this.
    04-17-08 10:31 PM
    We have eliminated that possibility, I took the Pink pearl and used it the same way for several days, no problems..... who knows what is causing this....
    I don't see how that eliminates the possibility. If the problem is you not know how to use the pearl, then what difference does it make if its pink or whatever. A pearl is a pearl.
    04-17-08 10:32 PM
    I understand the ABC is for multitap, but it should not be showing up on the home screen when no text input is possible, even VZW and RIM agree on this. I am going to either get a new pearl or switch back to my Razor. VZW is supposed to call me back today with an answer. Thanks for all your responses.
    Last edited by fuente1; 04-18-08 at 08:51 AM.
    04-18-08 08:45 AM
    I'd bargain for the Curve personally. Say your thinking of switching and see what they offer ya.
    04-18-08 11:25 AM
    I have had the 8130 with VZW since December and haven't had any problems. My experience throughout my history of owning cell phones has been that the same problems or issues people have with a particular model I never seem to have. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't always the phone but the way something may be set. How else can you explain someone having the same problem with every replacement. That being said, I would try to get Curve if you can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-08 12:00 PM
    I have had the 8130 with VZW since December and haven't had any problems. My experience throughout my history of owning cell phones has been that the same problems or issues people have with a particular model I never seem to have. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't always the phone but the way something may be set. How else can you explain someone having the same problem with every replacement. That being said, I would try to get Curve if you can.

A setting may be the issue, if anyone knows of a way to change a setting that would cause this please let me know, RIM nor VZW have a clue how to resolve.
    04-18-08 01:25 PM
    As long as Multi-Tap is turned on, the ABC will remain on the screen... doesn't matter if it's the home screen or not. This is how every Pearl I've held has behaved regardless of what carrier it came from.
    04-18-08 04:26 PM
    Civic don't know where you got idea but that's incorrect. It isn't normal. I would either find the setting causing it or hold out for the curve.

04-18-08 06:05 PM
    Civic don't know where you got idea but that's incorrect. It isn't normal. I would either find the setting causing it or hold out for the curve.

You are correct, home screen should not have the "ABC" displayed, every other screen it is supposed to be present. After about 45 calls to VZW and speaking to someone in management (Not Customer Service) they have agreed to give me a deal on the Curve when it comes out, or loose a 9 year customer with multiple VZW accounts. Persistence pays off eventually. Whenever the Curve is released they are supposed to give me a call for an exchange. Til then I shall live in Alphabet land with my battery indicator covered. What is really sad here is RIM cant even come up with a solution for the devices they build. Pretty sorry if you ask me, but tis the state of customer service in general these days..... Thanks for all of your feedback everyone!
    Last edited by fuente1; 04-18-08 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something.....
    04-18-08 06:25 PM

Nope, don't agree, and I've seen quite a few (hundreds) of Pearls. The chance of them all being defective is pretty slim. Now, the ABC tag might be theme driven in some cases, but I don't think so. All the ones I've seen have been using the regular Zen theme from RIM.

BTW fuente, it's ok to just say you really would rather have a Curve then a Pearl. There's no need to make up this elaborate story. We won't blame you, the Curve is a nicer BB.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-18-08 at 08:36 PM.
    04-18-08 08:33 PM
    Nope, don't agree, and I've seen quite a few (hundreds) of Pearls. The chance of them all being defective is pretty slim. Now, the ABC tag might be theme driven in some cases, but I don't think so. All the ones I've seen have been using the regular Zen theme from RIM.

BTW fuente, it's ok to just say you really would rather have a Curve then a Pearl. There's no need to make up this elaborate story. We won't blame you, the Curve is a nicer BB.
    Civic,
    The Curve is a nice phone, as is the Pearl, I just hope the Curve dosent have the ABC problem like the Pearl Ive tried different themes and still not luck so its some type of glitch IMO. VZW even admitted today that its not supposed to have the ABC on the home screen. Oh well, its being returned to VZW, who will return it to RIM and they can play with it, and I will enjoy my new phone, so long as they dont change their mind
    04-18-08 09:16 PM
    Hey, at least you'll have a phone where it's always QWERTY. No more having to worry about Multitap or SureType on.
    04-19-08 01:02 AM
    i use multitap and i have had a couple of instances where the ABC will stay showing on the home screen, if i went back into where i was typing to begin with and closed out it always went away, like i said it has only happened to me a couple of times......
    04-19-08 01:49 AM
    i use multitap and i have had a couple of instances where the ABC will stay showing on the home screen, if i went back into where i was typing to begin with and closed out it always went away, like i said it has only happened to me a couple of times......
    Actually, that's a very good point that I never thought about.

Fuente, make sure you close out of all your apps and back out of them instead of leaving them open in the background. It could be that you have something left open that's text entry based and that could be the cause. Also, all QWERY (full keyboard) BBs don't have the ABC indicator because they don't use or have multi-tap.
    04-19-08 12:10 PM
    wow, im very suprised they said they will replace it with a curve for you, just hope that when you get to the store, the manager doesnt ask for the cost difference, cuz that has happened to me,

id personally stick with the pearl til the kinks get worked out of the 8330.

sure other networks have the curve, but none of them are CDMA, so this is first gen, and you know how first gen things are.

well thats just my $.02 atleast.
    04-19-08 10:01 PM
    My experience also, though it has happened more than a couple of times. Most annoying when trying to enter password to unlock device. Good luck!
    04-20-08 04:37 PM
    Well VZW just called me and we are going with the 8830 WE instead of the Curve. Free upgrade, all I have to do is send in the 8130 once the 8830 arrives on Tuesday! No more ABC! WooHoo!
    04-20-08 04:49 PM
    Why did they change their mind? Did they want money for it?
    Hit me up on bbm. pin:319172d2

04-20-08 05:51 PM
    8830 has less value than a Curve. Especially for CDMA carriers that just got the Curve this month.
    04-20-08 06:04 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD