So my pearl has been having some trouble and I have it under the warranty where if anything goes wrong I can get a new one. But I really want to get a curve...does anyone know if its possible, to instead of getting a pearl, to replace it with a curve?

Thanks In Advance
    Justin
    11-08-08 08:10 PM
    I doubt they will do this unless you are available for some type upgrade.
    11-08-08 08:13 PM
    I'm on my 3rd BB Pearl. I asked if I could get a Curve instead and I was told That I would have to pay full price for it.
    11-08-08 08:14 PM
    What is happening with all your pearls
    11-08-08 08:17 PM
    Pearls just are not as solid as a curve. I was using my friends curve today and it just felt so much better then this damn pearl.
    11-08-08 08:18 PM
    how long have you had the pearl?
    11-08-08 08:22 PM
    About a month
    11-08-08 08:53 PM
    Year or two year? Usually with in 30 days of an upgrade if you really ask nicely, it can be arranged.
    11-08-08 09:04 PM
    True, I'm at college and the Verizon store is pretty run by college students so they might be really cool about it...Idk?
    11-08-08 10:54 PM
    If not, let them know it would be a lot cheaper for you to pay the cancellation fee than pay full for a new BlackBerry curve. After a X amount of replacements you actually can get the newer version of whatever phone you have. I am not 100% sure though, I think it would have to be the newer version of the Perl. All I know is that they did this with one of the LG Chocolates we have on our family share plan.
    11-08-08 11:16 PM
    Are you having instability issues and stuff deleting? Maybe you should just watch your memory better? The Pearl doesn't really feel fragile. I had one before I switched to a Curve for full keyboard.
    11-08-08 11:19 PM
    After my Pearl was replaced twice, I inquired with customer service via the 800 # about the Curve. They swapped it for me, no charge, after I even offered to pay 1yr contract price. I just had to send the Pearl back. It probably depends on the CSR you talk to, your account standing, etc. I don't know if having a corporate discount made a difference, or if it was being a long time, pay on time customer. Maybe I just got lucky. I also spouted off a bunch of BB knowledge of memory leaks, etc. I was polite but educated. Worth a shot, worse they can say is no. Good luck.

You could always buy a Curve and send your Pearl in via the BlackBerry Trade Up Program too...help offset the cost. Or sell the Pearl on eBay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 11:21 PM
    Thats true, Ill wait until my cord comes so I can backup my contacts and then I'll see what my Verizon store can do for me
    11-09-08 01:34 PM
    It depends on the problems you are having with the Pearl. If the problems are related to damage or just user error then they aren't going to swap it out.

I've seen a lot of people with blackberrys that think they are having a problem, but it turns out to be user error. Once I educate them, they are usually good to go. I'm not saying that is what is happening with you, but I'm just giving you an insiders point of view. For a customer to have problems with the same phone over and over, then it's usually user error. Not always, but usually.

Having said that, if it is indeed a manufacture defect, then you can be moved to a Curve no problem if it's less than 30 days..assuming you haven't already used your WFG to move to the Pearl. If it's after the 30 days, then u really need to contact the WDTS team at 1-800-922-0204 option 3 and make your case. They are the ones that are supposed to make the decision to swap you to another model since you have a smartphone. Be prepared though, the will make you do the troubleshooting steps before they will even consider moving you to a curve.

To make the troubleshooting as easy as possible, I recommend backing up your information before calling them in case they want to do a hard reset. It also wouldn't hurt to do a soft reset before calling them too. A soft reset is taking the battery out of the phone while the power is still turned on. When I have assisted customers with contacting WDTS in stores, the back-up and the soft reset are things they almost always ask about.
    11-09-08 04:07 PM
    Just and FYI good info but WDTS does not exist anymore. Hard habbit to break. I use to be there.
    11-09-08 04:11 PM
    Just and FYI good info but WDTS does not exist anymore. Hard habbit to break. I use to be there.
    True, but that's what we still call it in store...either that or tech support. Actually, now that I think about it, we call it tech support more since it's easier for customers to remember.

Kinda like FRUs...we still say FRU in store when talking to each other, but call them certified like new replacements when speaking officially.
    11-09-08 04:14 PM
    HAHAHA same here. Sell lots
    11-09-08 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD