04-13-08 08:50 PM
48 12
tools
    I will be upgrading on Verizon soon and can't tell which Blackberry I should really get.

In order of importance to me:
    - Phone
    - Internet
    - e-mail (only 5-10 per day....at least that I respond to)
    - text (5-10 per day)

Not sure if I see the need to have the full Keyboard, and the 8830 doesn't have a camera which is a drag.
    03-13-08 05:09 PM
    i have a peral 8100 and i love it..its small enough to fit in my pocket...but can do so much!..i love it!..and the pics come out great
    03-13-08 05:10 PM
    If you're upgrading soon... then that rules out the Curve altogether.
    It's not available yet, and there's no hard evidence of if/when it might be released.

I'd say go for the Pearl, since it seems you'd like to have a Camera.
    03-13-08 05:11 PM
    Go with the Pearl then. The draw with Curves over the Pearl is the full keyboard so you dont accidentally type "duck" instead of another word, LOL.
    03-13-08 05:13 PM
    Hi,

I too have Verizon, and here is my experience so far:

My previous 2-year contract with my "V" was up in February, and I purchased the red 8830 World Edition when it came out February 15th. I fell so in love with it. I did not know that I wasn't going to be able to receive instant picture messages though. (They did not bother to tell me this at the store either) I knew it didn't have a camera, and I wasn't all that bothered by not being able to send media messages, but not being able to receive them drove me insane every single day.

For me, I live in Vegas, and my entire family is back home on the East Coast, where I'm originally from, along with some of my lifelong friends. So, we text and send pix back and forth like crazy. All my friends and family told me they hated my new 8830, and they were all really sad about what I was losing out on, with the media messages. And yes, you can get pix on the Verizon site via your BlackBerry, but it is a serious pain in the ****, and took forever to connect...if it ever did connect at all. I complained every single day about it, but I really loved everything else, especially the red color.

Well, two weeks later I finally couldn't take it anymore, and exchanged it for the Pearl. I really don't like this device compared to the 8830. It's too small, the Sure-type is a MAJOR pain (and takes a good week to really get used to), and my fingers will slide right off the keys because there's like no grip on the buttons like the 8830 had. It was just SO MUCH easier to do everything on the 8830. But, I love being able to send and receive media messages again, and my family and friends are really happy now too, so the Pearl was a good exchange for me because the Curve was not available, and I had to do the exchange within 30 days of my original purchase.

So, I would say that if you can wait, then wait for the Curve to come out, before you buy. Because, even if you get the Pearl, if you don't like it, you could then exchange it for the Curve if you wait. It will have the ease of use like the 8830, plus the camera, and be able to send and receive instant media messages. The size of the 8830 fit so perfect in my hand, and typing was quick and easy, and I could do it while not looking. With the Pearl, I can't type on the fly, and I always have to be looking at it, and I totally miss the big screen. I wish I would have just waited completely for the Curve, but I didn't know they'd be getting it. And, I'm so impatient anyway, and I wanted my BlackBerry the instant my contract was up on the "V".
    03-13-08 05:55 PM
    I will be upgrading on Verizon soon and can't tell which Blackberry I should really get.

In order of importance to me:
    - Phone
    - Internet
    - e-mail (only 5-10 per day....at least that I respond to)
    - text (5-10 per day)

Not sure if I see the need to have the full Keyboard, and the 8830 doesn't have a camera which is a drag.

If you are doing that few of messages I would strongly vote for the Pearl. The form factor is great and you get a camera!!
    03-13-08 05:57 PM
    im in the same situation im trying to wait for the curve but its so hard living withouta a phone lol
    03-13-08 06:04 PM
    I would buy and return the pearl every 28 days until the curve comes out.
    03-13-08 06:07 PM
    I have a Curve and love it. However, the Curve and Pearl are quite similar. The main difference is size and the qwerty keyboard. Because the Pearl doesn't have the qwerty keyboard it uses SureType. Most people like the SureType after a week or so of using it.
    03-13-08 06:10 PM
    Another thought....if you are able to upgrade a phone with Verizon, that means your contract is about up. If you rather have a Curve and Verizon doesn't have it when your time comes, you can always switch to another carrier that does carry the Curve
    03-13-08 06:12 PM
    Go to an AT&T store and check them out side by side. I personally love my pearl, but it may be worth the wait for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 07:34 PM
    Let's hope you are not holding your breath waiting for the Curve, if so, then you're gonna be Blue in the face. That leaves you only 2 options, CURVE or PEARL. The choice is yours.

03-13-08 08:00 PM
    Since my primary function will still be phone usage along with Internet doesn't sound like SureType will be too much of a hassle.

Does the benefit of a larger screen make that much of a difference?

I'm also one of those guys who likes to keep my phone clipped onto my front pants pocket!!! Seems like the 8830 or the Curve (if it ever comes out) would be too large for this nerdy habit.
    03-13-08 08:19 PM
    I would wait for the curve. You will love it
    03-13-08 08:36 PM
    I'd wait for the Curve...that's at least what I'm doing.
    03-13-08 09:07 PM
    Since my primary function will still be phone usage along with Internet doesn't sound like SureType will be too much of a hassle.

Does the benefit of a larger screen make that much of a difference?

I'm also one of those guys who likes to keep my phone clipped onto my front pants pocket!!! Seems like the 8830 or the Curve (if it ever comes out) would be too large for this nerdy habit.
    Do a side by side at an AT&T. The curve is a 1/2" wider than the pearl.

Clipped to your pocket, if you get the curve, make sure you get insurance.

I have old eyes and can sit through an hour long show with no problem on my pearl.
    03-13-08 09:23 PM
    As I former Verizon and 8830 user, do not get the 8830. Either get the pearl or switch carriers and get the curve. I hated the 8830, the lack of camera didn't really bother me, but not being able to send or receive picture messages drove me nuts and the low ringer volume caused me to miss numerous calls. So I'd say either switch carriers and get the curve or stay with Verizon and get the Pearl.
    03-14-08 09:28 AM
    Well, the Pearl may actually suit you then. I was spoiled by first getting the 8830, so I definitely miss the large screen it had. But, if I would have started out with the Pearl, I might not feel the same, because that screen is still larger than my original cell, which was the "V". I use the web on it a lot, and love to play games, so that's why I liked the larger screen. The nice thing though is the display is very bright, and the image quality is so clear and defined on both the 8830 and the Pearl, and I was really impressed with how easy it is to read the smallest font setting, which I have my Pearl set on. I'd recommend the insurance regardless of where you keep it though. Someone told me that once I got it, I'd be addicted to it so bad, and might likely wear something out, which the insurance would cover. So far, they've been right about the addiction!!!
    03-14-08 02:27 PM
    i just got the pearl in november, but i'll be getting the curve as soon as it arrives...

aka may :]
    03-15-08 03:40 AM
    the insurance is really worth it. I dropped my 8703 on cement and cracked the screen. insurance sent me a new one the next day.
    03-15-08 09:29 AM
    I switched to ATT so I could get the curve. niether the 8830 or the 8130 fit my needs.
    03-17-08 10:33 AM
    I would buy and return the pearl every 28 days until the curve comes out.
    My read of the Verizon return policy is that you can only use the 30-day exchange for a new phone once. There is a different grace period for canceling your service without an early termination fee, and if you do that you'll get hit with activation fees and such that make the prospect unattractive (not to mention having your phone number change each time, which may be a problem if you want to be reachable).

Not saying you can't use the return/exchange strategy, just pointing out that Verizon is smart enough to make it difficult. I'm personally on day 29 of my Pearl, which I like quite a bit. If the Curve with wifi comes out tomorrow I'll return my Pearl and get the Curve. Otherwise, it's a Pearl for me. But wifi is the only feature I lack for my usage pattern (and I refuse to go with a Windows Mobile device).
    03-18-08 03:20 PM
    If you wait for the Curve, you may be waiting for quite awhile.
    03-18-08 03:55 PM
    If you wait for the Curve, you may be waiting for quite awhile.
    better to use an older phone that you're used to than settle for a new one you're not completely happy with though, no? Especially when you know you're locked in for 2 years with it.
    03-18-08 10:38 PM
    Naw, it's only a year if you have an online vzw account. I kinda had the same strategy, get a pearl now, switch if the curve came out within my 30. Especially after qwerty on my env, but after 3 weeks with the pearl and seeing a curve in person, I wouldn't change.

03-18-08 11:00 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD