The supported bands 2,4, and 13 are in the Passport. Has anyone tried to to see if it works?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 05:07 PM
    There is no CDMA radio support, and from what I understand Verizon will not handle VoLTE, so data will probably come up but you won't be able to make a call.
    01-16-15 05:10 PM
    I think Verizon's new HD voice is over LTE. They likely will not activate device though.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 08:25 PM
    Though it supports those bands, it will not work because Verizon won't recognize the IMED number.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-09-15 10:53 AM
    I think Verizon's new HD voice is over LTE. They likely will not activate device though.

Posted via CB10
    VoLTE isn't in widespread usage yet. As you say, they won't activate a Passport for use on their network. Apparently there are people who have experimented with activating a SIM in a different device and then trying to put that SIM into an unlocked Passport.

I don't think they've met with much success.
    lift likes this.
    02-11-15 04:09 AM
    True, true...but: voLTE should be nationwide by end of 2015 and the Passport will run on the correct bands. I had one to test that stunk on AT&T and T-Mo in my home but worked only for data on VZW SIM. That said, if VZW has the choice of activating versus losing a customer why wouldn't they activate once the technology allows it. You make money off contracts not phones anyway.

Q10 on VZW for now?
    02-15-15 05:59 PM
    This has come up a million times on this forum. Verizon will ONLY allow Verizon phones on their network. Period.
    raino likes this.
    02-15-15 09:10 PM
    This has come up a million times on this forum. Verizon will ONLY allow Verizon phones on their network. Period.
    I am in complete agreement with you that as of today they will only activate Verizon phones. But the future could change all that with voLTE. They only stand to gain by allowing other devices to come over as long as people are willing to enter a contract. But that would be the catch. If I owned a Passport outright and was off contract with AT&T, why would I go to Verizon if I had to sign a contract. There is a lot to hammer out at Verizon as their network advance and more devices become compatible.
    02-15-15 09:46 PM
    I am in complete agreement with you that as of today they will only activate Verizon phones. But the future could change all that with voLTE. They only stand to gain by allowing other devices to come over as long as people are willing to enter a contract. But that would be the catch. If I owned a Passport outright and was off contract with AT&T, why would I go to Verizon if I had to sign a contract. There is a lot to hammer out at Verizon as their network advance and more devices become compatible.
    Verizon is greedy. They don't just want contracts they want to profit off selling phones too. I would really be surprised if they ever start allowing non-Verizon phones on their network. They have a very firm grip on what they allow and I'm not sure they want to change that from what I have read.
    02-16-15 11:24 AM
    True, true...but: voLTE should be nationwide by end of 2015 and the Passport will run on the correct bands. I had one to test that stunk on AT&T and T-Mo in my home but worked only for data on VZW SIM. That said, if VZW has the choice of activating versus losing a customer why wouldn't they activate once the technology allows it. You make money off contracts not phones anyway.
    Wait a minute...you managed to get a Passport working on Verizon??

I thought you said (I think it was you...) that you tried activating a Passport in-store and it didn't work.

Regardless, voLTE going nationwide may not mean much vis a vis being able to use the Passport. The way TMO's doing it, only approved devices can do LTE calls; the Z10 and Q10--phones TMO sold--are not approved. OTOH, the Z30 -3 on Verizon seems to be voLTE-approved.

Buut...Verizon has the band 13 open access obligation too. So would that mean voLTE on band 13 would have to be open access as well?
    02-17-15 05:06 PM
    Wait a minute...you managed to get a Passport working on Verizon??

I thought you said (I think it was you...) that you tried activating a Passport in-store and it didn't work.

Regardless, voLTE going nationwide may not mean much vis a vis being able to use the Passport. The way TMO's doing it, only approved devices can do LTE calls; the Z10 and Q10--phones TMO sold--are not approved. OTOH, the Z30 -3 on Verizon seems to be voLTE-approved.

Buut...Verizon has the band 13 open access obligation too. So would that mean voLTE on band 13 would have to be open access as well?
    I misspoke bud. Just meant that I got data over WiFi that's all. I wasn't really on any network. Wasn't able to make any calls. I don't know the ins and outs other than that voLTE should allow the Passport to work on Verizon. That said, yes as of now under current Verizon guidelines they won't let the approve the Passport for use either way. They may toot a different horn though once voLTE is rolled out. Who knows. I was merely speculating.
    raino likes this.
    02-17-15 09:46 PM
    Verizon is greedy. They don't just want contracts they want to profit off selling phones too. I would really be surprised if they ever start allowing non-Verizon phones on their network. They have a very firm grip on what they allow and I'm not sure they want to change that from what I have read.
    I agree that Verizon is greedy. That said, with each new device purchased...you have a device bought through a different retail channel. Most iPhones are being bought through Apple Stores. A large portion of Samsung devices are rolling through Best Buy and other channels. That coupled with unlocking laws it would really benefit Verizon to loosen that grip.
    02-17-15 09:51 PM
    I had one to test that stunk on AT&T and T-Mo in my home but worked only for data on VZW SIM.
    Wait, You put a Verizon SIM in a Passport and got data? Sorry, I don't believe it. Pic's or it didn't happen. Even though the Passport is unlocked Verizon would reject the IMEI because it is not one of their phones.
    02-17-15 09:52 PM
    Wait, You put a Verizon SIM in a Passport and got data? Sorry, I don't believe it. Pic's or it didn't happen. Even though the Passport is unlocked Verizon would reject the IMEI because it is not one of their phones.
    This was months ago and their was NO SIM in the Passport! I setup the phone on WiFi. Used email, Facebook, CB10, etc on WiFi only just to test the phone out as I was deciding whether to port number over to AT&T or T-Mo. I liked the phone. But the service is terrible here except Verizon so I returned it. This is a misunderstanding. I never had Verizon Data. I was using WiFi only, that's all.
    02-17-15 09:58 PM
    This was months ago and their was NO SIM in the Passport! I setup the phone on WiFi. Used email, Facebook, CB10, etc on WiFi only just to test the phone out as I was deciding whether to port number over to AT&T or T-Mo. I liked the phone. But the service is terrible here except Verizon so I returned it. This is a misunderstanding. I never had Verizon Data. I was using WiFi only, that's all.
    O.K., well you said that you got data with a VZW SIM so I had to jump in here and ask. Glad you clarified that.
    02-17-15 10:04 PM
    O.K., well you said that you got data with a VZW SIM so I had to jump in here and ask. Glad you clarified that.
    No worries. Should have clarified sooner. Happened months ago and was in a discussion with others then that would have known. Shouldn't have assumed someone else would know what I meant. Cheers.
    02-17-15 10:12 PM