View Poll Results: Would u use chaperphone to track the where abouts of your child

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 76.60%
  • No

11 23.40%
04-09-09 09:43 AM
33 12
tools
    Ok everyone; lets see if I can word this just right.
    VZW has this new gadget where u can connect it
    to you wireless and it will act as a land line home phone.
    Now all here more or less are digit heads.
    The unit itself does have chaperphone.
    My quesion is would u get chaperphone to
    monitor the where abouts of your teenager.
    I am trying to disconnect needs from wants.
    Also if not used to track constantly what about
    in case of emergency. So there.....
    Also if I remember correctly u can use
    your pc to track chaperphone on your child as well.
    Thanks
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 03-01-09 at 06:38 PM.
    03-01-09 06:36 PM
    IF youhave the need for this service, then it great to have the option. Remeber though even though the hub has chaperone, the childs phone still needs the feature as well.
    03-01-09 07:06 PM
    Thanks; he does need a new phone. Gave him my old xv6800. He in my opinion needs a more sturdy phone. Thanks very much. Some people say trust yes thats true; but ok remove trust. What about safety knowing the where abouts of your teenager when he or she is out.
    Again thanks; and my son does like to push the envelope so to speak.
    He is not out there but it would be a governor so to speak
    03-01-09 07:37 PM
    I think it could be useful in the event of an emergency when you couldn't contact him. But I would never use it other than that.
    03-01-09 07:40 PM
    I would if you if think the kid is not where they are suppose to be. Part of being a good parent. I do not take well to lying. Now not all kids are this way, then there are the ones that cause concern and need to be watched.
    03-01-09 07:44 PM
    I wouldn't let the child know the phone can be tracked. They could leave the phone at his friends house and sneak out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 10:12 PM
    Thank u all for your input; leave it at a friends house. Nooo his cell is to
    important.
    I am a single parent; basically it is just me myself and I. So every little bit would help. It is a nice option to have.....
    03-01-09 11:37 PM
    Not only would I use it to track my teen, I will be tracking my pre-teen as soon as the need arises. Unfortunately the days of old where the neighborhood and beyond would look out for the youth is gone. You have technology use it but be wise. If in doubt track.

03-02-09 08:05 AM
    I am going to 100% use this with all 3 kids. I have a 15,13,9 year old and I agree with Reesekups the old days are gone.

I remember the day when I could get away with nothing in my neighborhood without my mom knowing.

03-02-09 08:26 AM
    I have it and use it. We live in strange times and I always know where my daughter is.
    03-02-09 08:47 AM
    I specifically chose the phones to have features that they liked, but also that were Chaparone compatible. So I could find them. I am also a single parent of 2 young girls, and would like to know where they are if I had to.
    03-02-09 09:02 AM
    A child who doesn't own the pink slip on their life yet really has no reasonable expectation of "privacy" when it comes to their whereabouts. If you are responsible for them, you have a right to know where they are. If they don't want to abide by your rules, PRIVILEGES are subject to revocation and/or restriction. And as a minor, personal freedom IS a privilege. Rights come with responsibility, make sure they understand the difference.

Yes, kids will rebel some, but I make it clear that I'm not their buddy, I'm Dad.

03-02-09 10:44 AM
    And as a minor, personal freedom IS a privilege. Rights come with responsibility, make sure they understand the difference.

Yes, kids will rebel some, but I make it clear that I'm not their buddy, I'm Dad.
    Bravo. If more parents thought this way, we'd have far fewer dysfuntional kids & young adults.

Personal responsibility is key. If you feel your offspring need privacy, and are responsible enough to not need monitoring and parenting, emancipate them & send them out into the world.

For me, I will fully grant them that at age 35.

03-02-09 12:51 PM
    Also amounts to whether or not you are willing to pay another $3, $4 hit per month on your phone bill.
    03-02-09 03:10 PM
    I wouldn't let the child know the phone can be tracked. They could leave the phone at his friends house and sneak out.

Chaperone does not work that way. When you track the device it will let then know.
    03-02-09 05:11 PM
    Also amounts to whether or not you are willing to pay another $3, $4 hit per month on your phone bill.
    Which could be considered cheap insurance, especially considering the costs of leg irons & chastity belts.

03-02-09 05:13 PM
    Just to let you all know -- It sends them a text message and lets them know they've been located. I'm so glad when I was younger phones were just starting to get text messaging.
    03-02-09 05:23 PM
    Yeah, TX2, it was tough, but has it's rewards. My oldest stepdaughter asked me to give her away last year, told the DNA donor he wasn't welcome, and honored me when named my grandson.

She tells everyone how much she appreciates her change in upbringing, and that is a great reward.

03-02-09 05:53 PM
    Hey all an update...........
    I bought my son the LG EnV.
    I told him that I will activate
    the tracking on it.
    Hey he is happy with it because
    it has the qwerty keyboard; and it is
    an mp3 player as well.
    So I actually solved all issues in one fel swoop.
    He has his ipod so to speak. I will activate
    chaperphone. So we are both happy and thanks
    again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    03-02-09 09:49 PM
    I just got my daughter a cell phone and I made sure it was Chaperone compatible. It isn't that I don't trust her, I don't trust others. Times have changed and I want to know that she makes it to school safely and home safely. I think for kids, having a cell phone is both a responsibility and a privilege. If she shows me SHE can't be trusted, there goes the cell phone AND her extra activities.

I do like the Child Zones feature though. I wish I could get the Chaperone app to work on my Storm. All I get is the text message.
    04-03-09 01:39 PM
    I just got my daughter a cell phone and I made sure it was Chaperone compatible. It isn't that I don't trust her, I don't trust others. Times have changed and I want to know that she makes it to school safely and home safely. I think for kids, having a cell phone is both a responsibility and a privilege. If she shows me SHE can't be trusted, there goes the cell phone AND her extra activities.

I do like the Child Zones feature though. I wish I could get the Chaperone app to work on my Storm. All I get is the text message.
    I get that, but I feel like if someone else was responsible for something happening, the phone would be broken/disabled immediately.

Do you guys follow your kid around with this thing?
    04-04-09 05:21 PM
    Yes this can happen, G_D forbid it does not. THis can be used to makre sure the child is where they say are going to be. Like going to friends house for movie, you track and they are at a location that is actually a rave party. Fun huh?
    04-04-09 06:49 PM
    If your kid really wanted to lie to you they could just disable chaperone on their phone when they go somewhere.

Side note: why can't people type out the word god? Weird.

04-04-09 07:37 PM
    If your kid really wanted to lie to you they could just disable chaperone on their phone when they go somewhere.

1. if the kid disables a function if this nature, they lose the phone or some type of punishment that would make them think twice.

2. I spell GOD like G_D, as some folks are religous and find it offensive, just the way I was brought up as a whole. It is called respect for others which I do most of the time, unless one pisses me off. For the most part, I hate the PC of today, but this is whole other story.
    04-04-09 09:29 PM

In some religions, Jewish, for example, it is rude ti spell it out (might even be a sin, I don't know), so they write it as G-d.

Anyway, as for the origional question, when my son was going through his "difficult" period, I'd have loved to have something on his phone I could follow him with, as well as safety, but he'd have figured a way around it.
    04-04-09 09:54 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD