I have had Slacker on my Curve 8330 for a while, but haven't been using it for fear of exceeding my 5GB soft cap. Now that the Pandora app is out, I have a newly-renewed interest in streaming radio, but my fear of data use still lingers.

Does anyone have an estimate as far as how many hours per month I can listen to Pandora/Slacker without exceeding the 5GB soft cap? I currently use my data plan primarily for email and I don't open attachments often. I would estimate that the data I download through surfing is negligible since I don't use it much.
    03-19-09 10:13 PM
    Interesting.....subscribed.
    03-19-09 10:17 PM
    thats a good question, i too am interested in the responses to this. i wouldnt think that a few hours a day would be that bad, but you never know i guess.
    03-19-09 10:20 PM
    i use it a few hrs a day and have never come close to 5g. you can always check online usage on your account page to monitor it for the first month or two to see how it's working.
    03-19-09 10:22 PM
    Even if you hit the soft cap -- they would not bill you. If you got VERY high they might contact you.
    03-19-09 10:28 PM
    Dial #DATA to check your data usage.

In the past 27 days, I've used over 500MB of data. This includes my vacation last week in which I had Slacker streamed non-stop for about 36 hours. Soooooo...if you're worried about streaming Slacker or Pandora you can breathe easy. I'm also on the web at least once an hour for 5-10 min at a time while Im awake. Safe to say I am addicted to my Blackberry.

Keep in mind that your data plan for Blackberry ($29.99 BIS/$44.99 BES) is unlimited data. In the event you go over 5gb of data, you will NOT be charged. Now if somehow you're going over 5GB consistently month after month after month....it could be looked into but you will not get shut down.

If you are considered a data abuser..meaning you're going over 5gb while violating the terms of service (gaming or downloading video) then your speed could be throtteled down or shut down.
    03-19-09 10:38 PM
    I've always wondered what that "soft cap" thing meant since I was paying for "unlimited" service.
    03-19-09 10:40 PM
    ^^ Correct, I've heard the 5GB limit only applies to tethering.
    Weekendbum...you beat me to the punch again! That's it, Im done for the night. Shutting down my laptop and putting my Storm on the charger. I'll try to avoid coming on CB for the rest of the weekend too since Im off til Monday. LOL
    Soft cap means that we won't bill you for overage. If you manage to hit a soft cap, a flag goes off to our IT department and they may look into your usage. It is very hard to hit 5gb on a blackberry..

Hard cap means they will either shut you off at 5gb and/or charge you for every MB over.
    03-19-09 10:42 PM
    Weekendbum...you beat me to the punch again! That's it, Im done for the night. Shutting down my laptop and putting my Storm on the charger. I'll try to avoid coming on CB for the rest of the weekend too since Im off til Monday. LOL
    LOL. Sorry, I have to get you back for duping my thread.
    03-19-09 10:43 PM
    Even if you hit the soft cap -- they would not bill you. If you got VERY high they might contact you.
    And your usage might be analyzed for tethering, if VZW does as AT&T does.

Simple little things like popups or flash content would be a dead giveaway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 10:46 PM
    Or xbox live...

Like someone was bragging about. I talked to a customer today who got shut off because he was illegally tethering. I don't know if my IT will bill him -- he was caught though. His account was shut down (his entire account) and he had to pay ETF's on all the lines.
    03-19-09 10:50 PM
    xbox live!? That's insane!
    03-19-09 10:50 PM
    xbox live!? That's insane!
    It is, but they do try it. Breaking an agreement with a carrier causes them to treat you like you bolted on a $1000 bill AND have bad credit.

Had a guy walk up to one of our people the other day as he was getting out of his truck. It seems he was using Tetherberry and possibly XBox on AT&T - my guy was a little unclear about whether it was XBox or another video console. Anyway, this man wanted to know what carriers we "sold" that wouldn't cut him off for tethering so he could use other devices online.

Our trucks do make reference to connecting your mobile world.

It seems he was discovered & his entire account was disconnected awaiting something in excess of $3600 in overages and a security deposit. I assume his other alternative was paying the ETF and the total bill.

He got mad at my guy when he told this sap we don't sell phones or service.

These Tetherberry & XBox Live kids are living on borrowed time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 11:01 PM
    If your worried about the 5gb, let me break it down. 5gb equals ruffly 5,120MB! That is an insane ammount! So check your data usage and if your under that Im sure you'll be fine. Break it down even further 1024KB=1MB
    Last edited by vzwty; 03-20-09 at 12:41 PM.
    03-20-09 12:37 PM
    eep... I tethered my old phone for work once when I was stranded without internet. Part of working involves streaming a chat all day.

Good to know the 5GB cap is soft, I was intrigued by the streaming apps too, but didn't want to get blasted with fees.
    03-20-09 01:56 PM
    With tethering the 5gb is a HARD cap. With Pandora/Slacker it's soft.. if you're doing it from your handset..
    03-21-09 04:19 AM
    I used slacker a lot last month and my usage was at 111mb so its gotta be tough to reach 5gb
    03-21-09 09:53 AM
    I am a heavy user, slingbox, music, obsessive browsing, and thethering (I pay, NOT tetherberry) and I have just barely broke the Gig mark. Usually I'm just under 1G.
    03-21-09 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD