Just thought of a question. The palm pre is an ev-do phone, right? After its released, if I was able to get an unlocked pre, would verizon allow me to activate it or do they not have a choice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 02:45 AM
    Just thought of a question. The palm pre is an ev-do phone, right? After its released, if I was able to get an unlocked pre, would verizon allow me to activate it or do they not have a choice?

I dont think you can.. People unlock phones for gsm/edge networks using sim cards but im not sure if verizon would aprove a pre on there network. However I don't want to tell you that you cant either..
    05-12-09 03:31 AM
    Verizon would need to be willing to activate it. And I don't think they've enacted the "Any app any phone" policy yet.

05-12-09 07:40 AM
    Probably would not work. You would need to get Verizon to add the ESN (or IMEI) to their database and they would most likely not be willing to do that.
    05-12-09 08:00 AM
    While it is technically possible, VZW policy will not allow it.

05-12-09 08:43 AM
    You might be able to get away with it, but since it's a smartphone, Verizon now requires data plans on all smartphones. It used to be just on BBs but now it's all WinMo and any other smartphone out there.
    05-12-09 08:46 AM
    I'm surprised they won't. I'd think Sprint would be the driving factor not to allow it since they want the Pre exclusive to their network. For VZW, why not? It's another subscriber paying them. Oh well, just my thoughts on it.
    05-12-09 09:31 AM
    I'm surprised they won't. I'd think Sprint would be the driving factor not to allow it since they want the Pre exclusive to their network. For VZW, why not? It's another subscriber paying them. Oh well, just my thoughts on it.
    If they allow it on their network, they have to support it. If you get it on their network without their knowledge, they don't have to support it.
    05-12-09 09:59 AM
    If we (VZW) really wanted to CRUSH Sprint we would actually start allowing their devices to be used on our network. But instead we can't figure out how to certify a Storm OS or actually release a BlackBerry every other carrier has within a reasonable amount of time (Pearl Flip.)
    05-12-09 10:33 AM
    I agree fully - this is an issue I have with VZW - I can understand why they do it, though. They want control of the full customer experience, itself a good thing. They also want to make sure nothing is detrimental to their network, another good thing, but one they've taken too far.

I can see limiting devices on a network. We don't want enterprise servers on it, for example. But prohibiting devices like the Pre or any that any other CDMA carrier offers is silly, as these devices already roam onto VZW's network.

The semi-official tone from VZW is that the devices have not been tested - a ludicrous stand, since they are made by existing manufacturers whose devices are already on VZW. Another point VZW raises is that these phones don't have VZW software, so all features may not work as VZW promises. A simple fix would be that if you bring your own phone, its your baby. Make it to where the phone must be sold/approved by an existing North American carrier & have FCC certification & go with it.

I think one of the ulterior motives is simple. Carriers want you on a contract - makes it more difficult to leave. If you bring your own phone, they have nothing to subsidize & no contract is usually required.

But as we speak, VZW says they will be opening their network - it just hasn't happened yet.

05-12-09 10:37 AM
    All you have to do is send it in for certification.

05-12-09 11:01 AM
    If they allow it on their network, they have to support it. If you get it on their network without their knowledge, they don't have to support it.
    seems like a signed waiver is simple enough... plus, they get more business
    05-12-09 12:40 PM
    seems like a signed waiver is simple enough... plus, they get more business

I kind agree with a previous post if they aloud other carriers phones on there network they would be going against the professional standard for business in the united states it would probably lower sprint even farther.
    05-12-09 08:23 PM
    I e-mailed customer support with this same question. They informed me that I would need to purchase the phone and have it activated through verizon and then do the *228 thing to see if it would "accept" the programming. As far as allowing other phones on the network, the have to; That was actually mandated about a year or so ago. The catch 22 is the phone must the "compatible".

I also checked with Sprint about aquiring the phone and they have some stipulations such as having the phone active on Sprint for 'x' amount of months prior to cancelling or having to pay full price for the phone, which will be some ungodly amount.

After all that, here is the tech support answer broken down into layman's terms: maybe.
    05-13-09 02:16 PM
    As far as allowing other phones on the network, the have to; That was actually mandated about a year or so ago. The catch 22 is the phone must the "compatible"
    Sorry, but no mandate on this for existing networks. It was a condition for the 700MHz auction, but some legal experts are now saying that isn't binding either - but VZW has said they will open their LTE network, with some conditions. Then again, VZW announced several years ago that they would open their network - we've not seen it yet.

We will have to see what really happens, but as of today, and probably for the foreseeable future, you will not get a Pre on VZW.

05-13-09 03:15 PM
    it depends on the rep if he is willing to have it reflashed on their network
    05-13-09 03:45 PM
    it depends on the rep if he is willing to have it reflashed on their network
    Attention VZW reps - I have a Pre here, along with an Ocean. I am not only asking if you will 'reflash' them to use on VZW, but CAN YOU?

05-13-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD