Forgive my ignorance as I'm still a n00b. *hangs head*. But with VZW how exactly would I go about installing the OS update when it's released? Is there an official link to go to with my Pearl's browser? Or do you have to go into a store and have them update it for you?
    02-04-08 09:58 AM
    The easiest thing to do is just stay tuned to CB, HoFo, or Pinstack. OS updates are almost always announced by somoene on these forums (usually in multiple locations). You'll also alway find intructions. Honestly, I think the forums are a better source for information than any of the carriers or even RIM.
    02-04-08 10:22 AM
    Since your on VZW, you might be lucky to get it within a year after the other carriers since they will need time to go through it and cripple as much as they can on it.
    02-04-08 12:25 PM
    Since your on VZW, you might be lucky to get it within a year after the other carriers since they will need time to go through it and cripple as much as they can on it.
    Actually, since you are on VZW, you can just install the OS from Sprint/Alltel/U.S. Cellular/Any other CDMA service provider who makes it available. That's one of the nice things about having a BlackBerry instead of some other smartphone on VZW. You get Verizon's network and BlackBerry's OS.
    02-04-08 12:50 PM
    Actually, since you are on VZW, you can just install the OS from Sprint/Alltel/U.S. Cellular/Any other CDMA service provider who makes it available. That's one of the nice things about having a BlackBerry instead of some other smartphone on VZW. You get Verizon's network and BlackBerry's OS.
    Exactly. VZW can cripple all they want. I am with them for their network. I have used other carriers OS recently and like you, feel it's the best of both worlds; latest OS and VZW network.
    02-04-08 01:25 PM
    If you can install other carrier's OS, can you then activate the GPS function on the VZW network by doing so?
    02-04-08 04:45 PM
    If you can install other carrier's OS, can you then activate the GPS function on the VZW network by doing so?
    Nope, I'm on Verizon running Alltels OS and no GPS. I think it's the service books (which are sent from the carrier you are on to your phone) which determine the phone's capabilities.
    02-04-08 08:09 PM
    I really wish someone could get a copy of those GPS service books...
    02-05-08 08:05 AM
    by reading this I'm guessing their must be a difference in the OS how do i find out what they are and why would i want to switch? BTW i have the 8830
    02-05-08 12:45 PM
    I really wish someone could get a copy of those GPS service books...
    IIRC, the GPS is disabled on the software level in one of the .cod files.
    02-05-08 01:53 PM
    by reading this I'm guessing their must be a difference in the OS how do i find out what they are and why would i want to switch? BTW i have the 8830
    Personally, I simply prefer to have the most up-to-date releases of my software. You will find that with the software revisions come bug fixes, enhanced memory management, etc. You really won't find any major improvements until the next version (e.g. 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.2).

IIRC, the GPS is disabled on the software level in one of the .cod files.
    If it was in one of the .cod files, the lock would be fixed whenever the OS was updated.
    02-05-08 02:20 PM
    Let's Keep this going for a quick sec. I too am awaiting 4.5 or whatever comes after VZW's 4.2. If you can upgrade from another carrier's OS, who has the must current? And how do you download it? Same way you would off Verizon's update page? Notes on this wonderful trick would be great. Has it helped the ringtone volume issue others have had on the 8830?

All help appreciated!!
    02-05-08 06:55 PM
    Verizon and Aliant Mobility have the same version at the moment... i.e. the latest. It's been like this for about a month and sadly... you know where the ringer issue resolution is. Non-existant.
    02-05-08 09:42 PM
    TeeJay: There are multiple threads on updating one's OS. Search around the forums here, at howardforums, and at pinstack.
    02-05-08 10:42 PM
    I was on Alltel's 4.3.0.81 and recently switched to U.S. Cellular's 4.3.0.97, but I can't see any real difference between the two. I've seen in some places that 81 will allow you to stream through Orb but 97 doesn't but I haven't tested that. I'm on an 8130 Pearl.
    02-08-08 11:57 AM
    You won't always see the changes made in minor revisions.
    02-10-08 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD