I know that for $4.99 a month I can block up to 20 phone numbers. But is there any way for me to block 100% of SMS/MMS on one of my regular, non-blackberry cell phones?
    12-31-09 12:56 PM
    Some phones have a security feature (LG 5500 for example) that will allow you to block all incoming sms. Or you can block the feature all together for free just by calling in or going into a store.

Now keep in mind, there are Premium SMS messages, basically those commercials you see that tell you to txt XXXXX now for free ringtones...well you can't block SMS and Premium SMS at the same time. So depending on how many txt's you get and the charge that is associated with it, blocking the Premium SMS could be cheaper..
    12-31-09 01:03 PM
    Options>Security Options>Firewall>check boxes to block SMS and/or MMS.

Sorry. I now see that you are asking about phone other than BlackBerry. You will probably need to call VZW and pay a monthly charge to block SMS/MMS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lak611; 12-31-09 at 01:51 PM.
    12-31-09 01:34 PM
    Just call and ask for text block.

12-31-09 01:43 PM
    Text block is free.
    12-31-09 02:10 PM
    It looks like the usage controls are $4.99/month for each line. https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com...uc/uc_home.jsp
    12-31-09 02:17 PM
    Text block is free.
    All I see is $4.99/month to block 20 numbers. I called CS and they told me the same thing. I upgraded the security options on the phone to block all incoming and outgoing messages. I tested this by send a text to the phone. The text didn't arrive on the phone, but instead I got an email on the email address that VZW has for my account that was exactly the text that I typed. So now what? Am I going to get charged for emails now?
    12-31-09 02:53 PM
    The CS rep you talked to was misinformed. You use usage controls if you don't want to block the entire service, just to specific numbers or for specific periods of time (such as at school). If you want to block all SMS and MMS messages including PSMS messages, just ask for a text block. It's free and can be removed at any time and works on any phone line.
    12-31-09 02:56 PM
    All I see is $4.99/month to block 20 numbers. I called CS and they told me the same thing. I upgraded the security options on the phone to block all incoming and outgoing messages. I tested this by send a text to the phone. The text didn't arrive on the phone, but instead I got an email on the email address that VZW has for my account that was exactly the text that I typed. So now what? Am I going to get charged for emails now?
    You have to call customer care or go into a store to block it completely.

12-31-09 03:18 PM
    Some phones have a security feature (LG 5500 for example) that will allow you to block all incoming sms. Or you can block the feature all together for free just by calling in or going into a store.

Now keep in mind, there are Premium SMS messages, basically those commercials you see that tell you to txt XXXXX now for free ringtones...well you can't block SMS and Premium SMS at the same time. So depending on how many txt's you get and the charge that is associated with it, blocking the Premium SMS could be cheaper..
    Actually the Block Text feature will block both. The class of service used in the SMSC "should" block both. If they aren't receiving/sending text messages to opt into services, then it wouldn't have a chance to charge them from the beginning.
    12-31-09 03:36 PM
    Just call customer service and they will do it for you. If you won't want to get charged for data on the regular phone have them block that too. It will keep whoever from downloading apps or going onto mobile web.
    12-31-09 03:54 PM
    Actually the Block Text feature will block both. The class of service used in the SMSC "should" block both. If they aren't receiving/sending text messages to opt into services, then it wouldn't have a chance to charge them from the beginning.
    True, but there are ways around it, also we don't know the exact situation from the OP..they may already be enrolled in the premium service, and you can also go to the websites (they are there on most commercials) and opt in from there. So even though the SMS is blocked the account would still be charged if either of these things happened or are currently going on.
    12-31-09 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD