Free Advice: Watch the Mail and Opt Out of Verizon Sharing Your Personal Data

read the article and then opt out before your personal calling patterns are transferred to third parties.
    03-09-09 02:35 PM
    Thanx for the info. Jeez, what ever happened to privacy???????
    03-09-09 02:49 PM
    This is probably a scam. Verizon Wireless would not sell or give away your personal data.
    03-09-09 03:12 PM
    I've heard that if you use your blackberry within 10 feet of a grocery sytore UPC scanner that the NSA accesses your address book and emails and the data is extracted from your phone.

However, the Cubans hacked into the feed from grocery store scanners to the NSA and now that data is in the hands of those commies -- we're not safe anywhere - plus they'll know what brand toilet paper and doeorant you're using and can cause major disruptions of civility when they disrupt the supply chains of these essential items --

people, wake up - your data is not private! the commies are stealing your toilet paper!
    03-09-09 03:17 PM
    You can log into your online account and opt out. It's listed under my profile. I opted out this morning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 03:36 PM
    It is a scam & an attempt to get people's panties in a wad.

Remember a few years back when government mandated directory assistance to include cell phones? The chatter was all about VZW giving away your info. In reality, VZW fought to include a provision for customers to opt out of DA. Unlike your local telephone line, non-pub of your cell phone is free.

As for the above claim about the NSA, that is false, as BlackBerrys are basically secure and difficult to track. There was a news story about King Hussein of America not giving up his BlackBerry. The real issue was not really brought up in the mainstream media. The Secret Service monitors all communications to and from the President and they cannot track BlackBerry communications. Bush 43 stopped communicating with his own daughters through email because he didn't want those conversations entered into record. Now we have Obama able to send & receive messages with Hugo Chavez, Bill Ayers, Taliban operatives & more through his BlackBerry with relative impugnity.

What the above poster does have correct is that your private info is not private anymore. We've allowed all sorts of left-wing, big brother legislation into being that takes away your privacy. What VZW has on you is peanuts, compared to your financial institutions, your local utilities and your credit providers have and sell. You may be safe doing business with a local credit union, but MasterCard, Visa, AMEX, credit bureaus and all major banks sell your information and none of these offer a simple way to protect you. VZW is probably better than, or at least no worse than, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, USCellular, Rogers or Telus with regards to privacy issues.

03-09-09 03:58 PM
    @twinsx2dad - preach on brother!

03-09-09 06:07 PM
    @twinsx2dad - preach on brother!
    Heh - at least I was able to avoid visions of commies stealing my used toilet paper.

03-09-09 06:22 PM
    Now, why oh why did you feel the need to throw the word "used" in there?

03-09-09 06:31 PM
    Because I'd fight those commies over the new stuff.

03-09-09 06:48 PM
    Because I'd fight those commies over the new stuff.

gangsta!
    03-09-09 07:55 PM
    I checked out the site mentioned and that mentioned an 800 number. Called that but it said I had a corporate phone (barely) and to call another 800 number which made no mention of this plan.

Maybe Verizon shields "corporate" phones from data sales - I think they would not want to tap into a corporate lawyer.
    03-10-09 12:45 AM
    can you get out of your contract since they are changing the original contract?
    03-12-09 11:25 AM
    What specific term of the contract are you referring to?

03-12-09 11:53 AM
    I checked out the site mentioned and that mentioned an 800 number. Called that but it said I had a corporate phone (barely) and to call another 800 number which made no mention of this plan.

Maybe Verizon shields "corporate" phones from data sales - I think they would not want to tap into a corporate lawyer.
    Nope - corporate info is public record.

And it is probably someone else who agrees to the contract.
    03-12-09 03:56 PM
    can you get out of your contract since they are changing the original contract?
    How are they changing the contract?

You can get out of your contract by paying the ETF.
    03-12-09 05:23 PM
    What kind of CORPORATE info is PUBLIC record?

I would hazard a guess that some corporate info is proprietary and does not belong to verizon to sell.

I merely get a discount through my employment (under terms of an OLD contract, I gather). My employer does not pay the bill and, actually, no longer is involved in this program. They get the snail mail envelope and passing it on to me.

I guess I really need to find out how to sever this remaining oddity.
    03-13-09 12:22 AM
    What kind of CORPORATE info is PUBLIC record?

I would hazard a guess that some corporate info is proprietary and does not belong to verizon to sell.

I merely get a discount through my employment (under terms of an OLD contract, I gather). My employer does not pay the bill and, actually, no longer is involved in this program. They get the snail mail envelope and passing it on to me.

I guess I really need to find out how to sever this remaining oddity.
    Corporations do not have the privacy protections individuals have. From annual/quarterly reports to SEC filings, to directory listings, it is all open to public inspection, because they are corporations. Please don't confuse trade secrets or proprietary information with public record.

Now, since you've further clarified your situation, here is my thought. Your VZW account may be misclassified for whatever past reason. If you're paying for it, the bill is fully in your name, call VZW billing & they should be able to fix it.

Discounts may put you into a different classification.

We have some people here who have chosen to get subaccounts off of the main business account. The bill goes to them, they pay it, but the account responsibility belongs to the company. As such, they can't make major changes to the accounts.

If these folks leave our employ, we have to call our VZW rep & make appropriate responsibility changes.

If this doesn't apply to you, apologies for taking up your time. But remember that corporate phone accounts don't enjoy the same privacy protections that personal ones do.

03-13-09 08:55 AM
    Twinsx2dad:

Thanks for the info. I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone finding out what I can and maybe canNOT do with this account.

It is a gov't account but it appears I can transfer it to my name/address and keep the corporate discount. I have to head to an REAL verizon shop with a paystub (to keep the discount). They could not even find a contact for my "gov't" in their system. So it was/is an older plan.

Hopefully, I will not lose my various discounts but I've never been able to use any of the onlines tools due to lock-outs.
    03-13-09 12:32 PM
    I am hoping you don't lose the discounts either. I just had a feeling that your account was not normal, else you'd have been able to easily make the changes.

Please let us know what happened.
    03-14-09 12:06 AM
    Did not get to a store yet. I may lose SOME discount. I entered my email address and was given info on a 17% discount (odd amount for sure). I believe I have a larger 20% discount and may get some corp bonus minutes or some such. I will have to decide if this is worth it to have access to online info.

Guess what it boils down to (yup, that ol' getting something for nothing mantra) is going into discuss this and finding out what changes are and then seeing if the rep will allow me to stick with the older plan if the newer plan is not advantageous. I also have an older MUCH OLDER minutes plan with 1000 free on weekends, etc. Long discontinued and I don't want to give that up - I am not a heavy phone user (emergencies and long distance free calls)
    03-14-09 10:53 AM
    So what is your current plan costs & peak minutes?

03-14-09 10:07 PM
    America's choice, 300 minutes, $35.00 plus 1,000 weekend minutes "free for life" plus the BIS $30 BB plan. Altho, it also says "Unlimited Night and Weekend mins"

If I read it correctly, I get a 20% feature discount and that might drop to 17% (although I'm not sure the 17 was "feature")

I don't think they have such a cheap base plan anymore???

Well, I just went through the link provided in my work email. Seems that they actually have a basic package with more minutes (450) for less money (the 17% discount). But the end bill would be about $5.00 higher since the 20% discount appears applied to my BIS plan.

Also, seems that they charge extra for DETAILED billing which I gather I now have since I see every gritty detail of my usage/calls now.

Interesting stuff (if that's what one finds interesting!)
    03-15-09 10:29 AM
    Either way, it doesn't seem too bad. With the current, you'd get 450 peak & unlimited nights/weekends for $39.99 + $29.99 BB Data.

I think if you sign up for MyVerizon, the detailed might be free. We'll have to see what the guys say. I don't look at mine that closely.

03-16-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD