Too many people have asked me why I am no longer a BlackBerry fan.

I tell them & they often tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Well, it seems that even Opera agrees with me.

Those who know, can tell you that Opera Mobile is 10 times the browser Opera Mini is. Well, from the Opera Site, I find this...

===============================
    Not using a smartphone?

Check out the Opera Mini 4.2 mobile browser. Opera Minis unique technology gives you a faster, cheaper and full Web experience on any mobile phone. And, it is free.

Ever notice that you can only get Opera Mobile as follows?

Opera Mobile 10 beta for Nokia smartphones

• Fast

Opera Mobile 10 beta is faster at downloading pages, zooming, panning and almost everything else you do with a mobile browser.
    • Intuitive

Combines the best from our desktop browser and mobile browsers to form an advanced and highly intuitive, new interface.
    • Tabs

Why close one Web page to open another? Now, open as many tabs as you like. Read your mail in one window, Facebook in another, Twitter in a third.
    • Speed Dial

Get to your favorite Web pages with just one click, with a set of visual bookmarks that appear when you open a new tab.
    • Free

Opera Mobile 10 beta is free.
    Download Opera Mobile version 10.0 beta for Symbian
    Read more about Opera Mobile 10 beta for Nokia smartphones

Opera Mobile 9.7 beta for Windows Mobile

• Full-featured

Save time with address auto-complete, Password Manager, a pop-up handler and Opera Turbo.
    • Fast

Opera Mobile 9.7 beta is faster at downloading pages, zooming, panning and almost everything else you do with a browser.
    • Adaptive zoom

View the full Web page; then, pan and zoom into your desired content in just one click.
    • Widgets

Use these small, handy Web applications that run locally on your mobile phone, to give you one-click access to your favorite Web services.
    • Free

Opera Mobile 9.7 beta is free.
    Download Opera Mobile version 9.7 beta
    Read more about Opera Mobile 9.7 beta for Windows Mobile.

Hmmmm - no Opera Mobile for BlackBerry - only WM & Symbian. Opera has tried, but only Mini works on BlackBerry. Is it because, as Opera implies, BlackBerry is not a real smartphone?

Okay fine - it is a smartphone. It just isn't a very capable one. And now, even the king of mobile browsers agrees.
    11-05-09 01:55 AM
    Cool! I'll definitely try the Opera browser as soon as it's working right with the new BB 5OS.
    11-05-09 05:02 AM
    The ver 5 opera mini beta looks identical (and same functions) as the 10 beta you posted...?
    Generally I agree with you though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 05:17 AM
    I really miss Opera Mobile from when I had WinMo.
    11-05-09 06:25 AM
    They arent the only ones dissing BB these days. Unless RIM opens up they will soon be left in the dust (some say they already are).

I actually paid for Opera Mobile two years ago when I had my last WINMO device, it was really nice. Seeing web pages on a mobile device the way they were intended to be seen is sweet.
    11-05-09 11:04 AM
    Hmmmm - no Opera Mobile for BlackBerry - only WM & Symbian. Opera has tried, but only Mini works on BlackBerry. Is it because, as Opera implies, BlackBerry is not a real smartphone?
    That's just silly. Why are you trying to speakin behalf of Opera?

Besides, how do you know that Opera Mobile isn't coming for BlackBerry? You don't see an Android version yet, do you? Does that mean that Opera says that Android is not a proper smartphone OS?

Your logic fails to impress. Your silly at putting words in Opera's mouth even more so.
    11-05-09 12:28 PM
    That's just silly. Why are you trying to speakin behalf of Opera?

Besides, how do you know that Opera Mobile isn't coming for BlackBerry? You don't see an Android version yet, do you? Does that mean that Opera says that Android is not a proper smartphone OS?

Your logic fails to impress. Your silly at putting words in Opera's mouth even more so.
    We are in the ninth version of Opera Mobile. Think they will suddenly create a point release that will work on it?

There hasn't been a BlackBerry port because the OS isn't capable of handling it. Skyfire tried & has failed too. Apple has Safari betas for WM, but can't get the features they want working in BlackBerry.

The original post was tongue-in-cheek, but if you want to turn it into a listing of the realities & shortcomings of the ancient BlackBerry model, I would be more than happy to point them out.

Just remember - you are entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts - and the facts are that BlackBerry is now the least capable smartphone platform on the planet.

11-05-09 01:03 PM
    We are in the ninth version of Opera Mobile. Think they will suddenly create a point release that will work on it?

There hasn't been a BlackBerry port because the OS isn't capable of handling it. Skyfire tried & has failed too. Apple has Safari betas for WM, but can't get the features they want working in BlackBerry.

The original post was tongue-in-cheek, but if you want to turn it into a listing of the realities & shortcomings of the ancient BlackBerry model, I would be more than happy to point them out.

Just remember - you are entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts - and the facts are that BlackBerry is now the least capable smartphone platform on the planet.

Looks like I'm late to the game then. You've probably posted it somewhere before, but what is your smartphone preference?
    11-05-09 01:17 PM
    Looks like I'm late to the game then. You've probably posted it somewhere before, but what is your smartphone preference?
    The one not (yet) available on VZW - Linux. That is followed by a rough tie between WM & Symbian - know that I like to heavily customize & tweak devices, which all three of these OS platforms lend themselves to. After these, it is something of a tossup between Android, iPhone & Palm. Last is BlackBerry.

On the hardware front, Nokia, Samsung & HTC are at the top of my list. BlackBerry, Palm & Moto are at the bottom.

This is a big change from just a couple years ago when I recommended BlackBerry for simplicity & WM for the techies, hoping Palm would get their head out of their tail.

By this time next year, if we still have a country to call our own, I think WM7 will be at the top of my list, on par with Linux, and Android may mature enough to reach parity with Symbian - but still with extreme privacy issues. Poor Palm, if still around, will still be saddled with hardware design issues.

Without a complete rewrite, the BlackBerry platform will remain decent, but will not compete with other platforms - and it looks like quality will continue to be a problem. The RIM dynasty has passed - no matter how much the BlackBerry faithful want otherwise.

11-05-09 05:56 PM
    We are in the ninth version of Opera Mobile.
    Nope. Opera Mobile 10 is only the third or so version of Opera Mobile. There was no Opera Mobile 1-7.

Think they will suddenly create a point release that will work on it?
    They "suddenly" created Opera Mini for Android with Opera Mini 4.

Opera Mobile 9 never appeared for Symbian S60, but Opera Mobile 10 is coming for that platform.

the facts are that BlackBerry is now the least capable smartphone platform on the planet.
    Whether that is the case or not, you can't use Opera to "prove" it.
    11-09-09 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD