Hey Verizon...open up the GPS for us 8330 Curve users. There many applications that would benefit us in our small business start ups. It would seem to me that in these economic times, you would provide for your customers on a better level than you are by holding back features available by other service providers that sell the same product

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 10:21 AM
    That would be fantastic! But this debate has been going on forever now so I'm not holding my breath.

07-23-09 10:47 AM
    Hey Verizon...open up the GPS for us 8330 Curve users. There many applications that would benefit us in our small business start ups. It would seem to me that in these economic times, you would provide for your customers on a better level than you are by holding back features available by other service providers that sell the same product

And WIFI we all know its not gonna happen soon.
    07-23-09 11:57 AM
    I would welcome an unlocked GPS on my 8330.

07-23-09 12:04 PM
    I don't think I could explain it better, so I offer a recent explamation a friend wrote:

That is correct - three types, actually.

---Standalone
    ---aGPS
    ---Standalone with aGPS connectivity

Standalone functions just like those Garmin & TomTom units. It works without assistance from the cellular network. Carriers don't block this type of GPS. Standalone is slow at reaction, as it relies on satellite signals only and can be hampered by buildings, bridges, overpasses or weather disturbances.

aGPS uses cell carrier resources, data & PDE sources to pinpoint your location. This can be network intensive, but is much faster at responding. It reads satellites, but requires the cell network to find those satellites & also uses tower location triangulation todetermine where you are. Carriers do not block aGPS on your phone - instead, they may disallow access to some resources. This is perfectly within reason since you are not paying for those resources. To protect their network & customers, VZW allows access to their network & resources ony to approved software. Their approval testing is pretty simple & includes a killer that many software makers refused to comply with - the software cannot gather information for the profit of the software company - in other words, Google & others' major revenue source would be shut off. It seems like a minor thing, but for you to use free software compromises the privacy everyone on the network within your cell area. So far, only RIM has complied with the privacy issue.

Standalone+aGPS is a hybrid it can function on its own and uses aGPS to cover when there is no sat signal or when first finding satellites. This is dramatically lower in data & resource usage than aGPS all by itself. It also doesn't require open access to the PDE, which means you can use it without affecting me.

For VZW BlackBerrys the Storm & Tour were equipped, by RIM, with Standalone+aGPS. All previous BlackBerry models were equipped only with aGPS.

So it isn't when will VZW unlock anything - if asked, probably 3/4ths or more of customers don't want their info being mined by a developer like Google, so VZW does not allow access by those unapproved software apps. You lose, which is fine with me, because I don't lose. Your desire for a toy should not trump my desire for privacy.
    Opening up agps only phones is not an option. Since the curve isn't capable, get a phone that can do the gps on its own.
    Last edited by DesertDogs; 07-23-09 at 12:44 PM.
    07-23-09 12:26 PM
    Makes sense to me. I don't think its that big of a deal since u can just get a bluetooth gps puck and use third party apps. I would like to have it in the phone so u only have 1 piece of equipment than 2 but, like I said I can live with a puck.

07-23-09 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD