I was just wondering if anyone heard any news about Verizon opening up their network. This was announced about 2 years ago and they said it would happen in December 2008, which is almost here and I have heard nothing new.

This is the only thing I could find, that isn't from over 6 months old.

They claimed they would let any devices with the technology capable of working with their towers. So does this mean a Sprint BB will work so we can finally have a GPS?

Any info on this is appreciated.
    11-28-08 11:48 PM
    I have not been at work since last friday. Since then no updates. Keep in mind it will not all devices will not be approved

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 09:33 AM
    As far as I know this is already in place. The catch is that if you are the first one with a particular device, you have to be willing to send it to them so that they can "certify" it.
    11-29-08 11:51 AM
    There is a short list of approved devices, Kyocera mostly.
    11-29-08 02:56 PM
    how come the phones from Sprint do not work/are not certified yet? Or do they?
    11-30-08 12:40 AM
    and if so, what is involved to get them to work? Do they have to be individually certified, or have they already certified Sprint's curve for example?

If this works with the sprint curve, will all the features still work like normal? and will you be able to then get the GPS?
    11-30-08 12:52 AM
    how come the phones from Sprint do not work/are not certified yet? Or do they? This is my understanding:

Each carrier has their own encryption for both data and voice and the phones have to match to work.

and if so, what is involved to get them to work? Do they have to be individually certified, or have they already certified Sprint's curve for example?
    there are phones that have been certified, its a short list. If you want a specific phone you have to send it in, and VZW may/may not cert it.

If this works with the sprint curve, will all the features still work like normal? and will you be able to then get the GPS?
    i believe its voice only, no data
    11-30-08 04:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD