With Verizon's upcoming open network policy, will we be able to buy a black curve from Sprint and use it on Verizon's network? If so, would that give us the ability to use the built in GPS instead of VZnav? It really bugs me that they charge 15 bucks for GPS which should be free. This would make a nice class action lawsuit, similar to the one with Verizon on crippling bluetooth capabilities.
    04-07-08 10:08 AM
    you might be able to, but verizon has already stated that devices from other carriers would have to go through a test every so often.

word from verizon regarding gps is that they are trying to allow 3rd party gps apps to run on their network by the end of the year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-08 10:14 AM
    so when does this open policy take effect? i love the sprint curve's darker color and it comes out in less than 2 weeks.

and once the policy is in effect, what would i have to do to get it activated on my vzn account (which i already have 4 lines on)??
    04-07-08 10:21 AM
    One thing to noye is that is buying a phone from one carrier and using it with another will also be tied into which network is supported by that carrier. If you buy a phone with GSM, it won't work on a CDMA network (and vice-versa).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-08 11:31 AM
    Buying a Sprint 8830 and using on Verizon's network will not enable the GPS capabilities. Sorry, but that's the truth.
    04-07-08 01:09 PM
    Is the GPS a standalone item based on the device or is it affected by the carrier? I know that Verizon cripples their phones but Sprints phones are pretty much untouched.
    04-07-08 01:12 PM
    Buying a Sprint 8830 and using on Verizon's network will not enable the GPS capabilities. Sorry, but that's the truth.
    i could care less about gps. it sucks on phones anyway. i just want to be able to use the curve on vzn. anybody know when this policy takes effect.
    04-07-08 03:01 PM
    i could care less about gps. it sucks on phones anyway. i just want to be able to use the curve on vzn. anybody know when this policy takes effect.
    The Curve is not out on Sprint yet. The Curve will be available on Verizon's network in May.

You won't be able to use a GSM based Curve on either of those carrier networks.

Next.

As for the GPS, the current incarnation of that on the 8830 is based on PDE access. Once you change carriers, even if the IP remains untouched and in the phone, you won't be able to access the server from another carrier network other then Sprint itself. That's why I said it won't work if you change the phone from one carrier to the other.
    04-07-08 06:56 PM
    The Curve is not out on Sprint yet. The Curve will be available on Verizon's network in May.

You won't be able to use a GSM based Curve on either of those carrier networks.

Next.
    huh? what does that have to do with my question? the sprint curve is a cdma phone and comes out in less than 2 weeks. it is the darker gray color. i want it and want to use it on vzn's "open" network.

does anyone know when this policy takes effect and what one would have to do with a sprint phone to activate it on my existing vzn account?
    04-07-08 07:14 PM
    Whoops JRSCCivic98 misread what you said chip and then I commented oh his comment lol so I edited my response out.
    04-07-08 07:39 PM
    huh? what does that have to do with my question? the sprint curve is a cdma phone and comes out in less than 2 weeks. it is the darker gray color. i want it and want to use it on vzn's "open" network.

does anyone know when this policy takes effect and what one would have to do with a sprint phone to activate it on my existing vzn account?
    Didn't see your other post about the darker Sprint one. Either way, the "Open Network" PR thing that VZW is boasting will initially be available only to devices or apps that have passed VZW's testing. In other words, there will be a large list of what's allowed on their network. If the device or app is on that list, then it'll be allowed (most likely). However, I have a feeling that VZW's Open Network policy is more of a way for them to show the public that they want more developers and manufacturers for their network, but that they still control what runs on it. We'll see where it goes, nothing has been written in stone yet as far as specific anouncements from VZW's people. Honestly, you have a better chance waiting for the grey color to come out of VZW a few months after the silver release before you get a chance to run a Sprint Curve on the VZW network. At least, that's one of the reasons why I'm not holding my breath too much on this whole Open Network policy. If it was open network, you'd be able to run whatever you wanted... but according to already made anoucements, that's not what the policy dictates. Maybe when LTE is the norm, you'll see this ability as LTE will be SIM based much like GSM is now.... so, you could just swap in the SIM and go. We'll see.
    04-07-08 07:57 PM
    ah...that helps alot. thanks.
    04-07-08 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD