Dear VZW,

I have been on the big red V since way before you had the V. From Bell to Bell atlantic to nynex to you, I have stuck with you through thick and thin.

You do cost a bit more, and I am willing to pay for it. You have excellent CS and a great network. Even your stock price is holding through this economy. This is all good, and I understand that it may cost a bit more.

You don't get the newest phones first, you make us wait and wait, nothing leaks out, but that is OK, since from what I understand, the testing is supposedly better than your competitors. And again, this is good, since I want my phone to work at 5 9s level. (Though maybe the storm did get out a bit before the SW;-)

Here is what I don't understand. All the new smartphones have a GPS chip in them. (heck, even the other phones do as well). I can understand that you want to make $ on the VZW feature that you have. I don't mind paying to have that.

However, there are other uses for GPS other than your VZnav. I just saw a great new program. Trapster. It has a database of red light cameras, speed traps, you can even enter in live police locations. As you drive, your smartphone, if GPS enabled, tells you, 'police car, 100 yrs ahead', or speed trap, 500 ft'. Amazingly! This program works on the Storm, but no other BBery on vzw! Or Winmo (unless you have a cooked rom enabling the gps). There are other programs I want to use for gps. I have a boat. Why should I need to carry a seperate gps when my phone not only has one, but also there is a charting app written for my phone!

I WOULDN'T MIND PAYING YOU THE $10/MONTH THAT YOU ASK FOR VZNAV IF YOU WOULD JUST UNLOCK THE FRIGGIN GPS! Seriously. Why do you care if the gps is turned on and not using vznav? You would be getting the monthly fee. I mean, I don't think I should have to pay you just to turn it on, but I would be willing to do so to get the features.

But this issue is just about driving me over the edge and considering going to the dark side. I know I can't be the only person this close to the edge. So can you seriously consider this? Please? Or at least give us a reason as to why not. Because I can't see any reason if I give you the $$, not to get the functionality, and let me do with it as I please.

A very loyal , but extremely frustrated client!
    01-14-09 02:07 PM
    I feel ur frustration my friend! And the sad thing is that there's "actual" ppl on here that support this practice and defend it tooth and nail! Why??? Who the **** knows!
    01-14-09 02:32 PM
    Where have you two been? Verizon unlocked GPS on BBs a while back. It seemed to only work on Blackberry Maps for a while, but apparently it works on other 3rd party apps like weatherbug with gps, Garmin, telenav, Nav4all, Blip, and a few others...now (I believe - I haven't tested them myself). Google Maps not working is a Google issue.

Do you have OS 4.5? You need it for all of this to work.
    01-14-09 03:22 PM
    the only program that works on the 8330 is BB Maps. no other 3rd party GPS apps works.

i've tried weatherbug, live search, garmin, travel channel go... so his letter is valid.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-14-09 at 03:27 PM.
    01-14-09 03:24 PM
    yes i am on 4.5. I have tried trapster and it does not lock. I went to bb maps, got a lock, then tried trapster. No luck. As chrisy says, no other 3d party works. What is wierd is that trapster does work on the storm! So the unlock they did there is different than the unlock on the curve!
    01-14-09 03:30 PM
    right. the storm's GPS is unlocked. i thought that once the storm was releaed that the 8330 and 8830 would be unlocked as well. maybe with the next OS update?
    01-14-09 03:34 PM
    the only program that works on the 8330 is BB Maps. no other 3rd party GPS apps works.

i've tried weatherbug, live search, garmin, travel channel go... so his letter is valid.
    Hmmm...I wonder what is going on then...odd. I thought otherwise.

Are these 3rd party apps only working on the Storm?
    Last edited by wils0646; 01-14-09 at 03:52 PM.
    01-14-09 03:36 PM
    Seems Big Red wants people purchasing their new phone.
    01-14-09 05:02 PM
    yes.........
    01-14-09 05:04 PM
    LOL you couldn't pay me $9.99 a month to use a storm!

i use, and am thrilled with, VZ Nav and BB Maps. however i do want the GPS unlocked for other apps...
    01-14-09 05:06 PM
    I loved VZ Nav when I had the free trial. Not worth the money, though. However, I would have no problem paying the money for unlocked GPS to use as I please on any/all apps.
    01-14-09 05:10 PM
    $10 seems to much for something that's built into the device. I would pay $1 to get the assisted part of the GPS; A-GPS.

Other than that, I like that the storm's GPS is unlocked. Leave it as is. I think they are saving the unlocked GPS for the next iteration off BB handsets like the cdma Bold(codename: Niagara), the cdma 2nd gen Curve (codename: Javelin), cdma Pearl (codename: Apex) to make it a worthy upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 08:19 PM
    would you like some cheese with your whine?

If you are going to write a letter and expect a company to respond to it, lets try to make it sound professional.
    01-14-09 08:27 PM
    I think that the goal for verizon may be to force ppl to buy the storm out of frustration with locked GPS?

Large screen, utilization of multiple 3rd party GPS based apps... sounds lucrative and I think that before they unlock it for the rest of us, they're trying to up their sales quota first and make it seem like the storm can do things that other blackberries just cannot do!

Which is all criminal tactics if you ask me! U put out a product, let it be a success on its own! Don't twist our arms backwards in order to make something "LOOK LIKE" a success...

I'm not saying the storm flopped in any way! I actually think its a cool phone and it serves a certain population well. But theres also business ethics involved here! And these tactics do not serve verizon well in the long run if you ask me. Honesty and a good marketing practice goes a long way in reassuring that your doing things right and for the benefit of the customer! Ur still getting paid, things are still more expensive even without GPS issues in mind, and in return, the network and CS is better for that expense. But this right here is simply greed on their part! And it looks sooo bad to me that I use the word "CRIMINAL" very loosly here!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-15-09 at 08:14 AM.
    01-15-09 08:10 AM
    In the end, it's about MONEY.
    01-15-09 09:07 AM
    I wonder if there's a misguided view on their part about all this. Is VZ Nav that much of a money maker for them to go through these means?
    01-15-09 10:34 AM
    I WOULDN'T MIND PAYING YOU THE $10/MONTH THAT YOU ASK FOR VZNAV IF YOU WOULD JUST UNLOCK THE FRIGGIN GPS! Seriously. Why do you care if the gps is turned on and not using vznav? You would be getting the monthly fee. I mean, I don't think I should have to pay you just to turn it on, but I would be willing to do so to get the features.
    And when they get to this segment, the letter goes in the trash.

01-15-09 10:48 AM
    I would be willing to do so (pay) to get the features.
    And as soon as they allow this people will say "other carriers don't make you pay for this, we shouldn't have to. Let's start a class action lawsuit."

01-15-09 10:53 AM
    In other threads on this subject the most often given reason Verizon have given for locking the GPS is to protect its users (i.e. us) from security issues when using third party applications. If as stated in other replies there are no restrictions to the GPS on the Storm is that argument now defunt? If it is safe to use these apps on the Storm then why not on other Blackberrys?
    01-15-09 04:00 PM
    And when they get to this segment, the letter goes in the trash.

Why is that?
    01-15-09 04:29 PM
    And as soon as they allow this people will say "other carriers don't make you pay for this, we shouldn't have to. Let's start a class action lawsuit."

that may be so... but that just shows u the messures ppl will go through to get these services. In the end, it should all be free! But make no mistake, it WILL be a better value if u were paying $9.99 a month for unlocking the entire GPS. Somehow I dont see them doing that tho because it will explose very clearly what they are trying to do. Plus, they cant charge for a chip that RIM placed into the phone for free to begin with. BUT... They can lock it malitiously and then say hey, we're making u pay for the software, not the chip!
    01-15-09 04:31 PM
    VZW phones dont have GPS. its LBS. you CAN purchase a GPS unit and connect it and use that for whatever application you want.
    01-15-09 09:46 PM
    This is flat out false!
    01-15-09 10:10 PM
    verizon cdma phones have GPS as well as LBS. VZ nav and BB maps utilizes "GPS" under software verizon 4.5 (unlocked GPS) for blackberry curves.

All 3rd party apps are locked out from using the GPS
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-15-09 at 10:16 PM.
    01-15-09 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD