11-28-11 05:12 PM
28 12
tools
    Only Verizon can change to tiered pricing and not offer a cheaper plan than what we used to get for $30 which was "unlimited" or 5 GB. Now for $30 we get 2 GB and if we need more they are happy to provide it for an extra price. But don't provide a lower plan if we need less!

If Verizon is going to tiered pricing then be tiered by offering 200MB for $10 500MB for $20 so that customers can at least save some money if they are not using a lot of data which is the supposed reason they are going to tiered. If you have a family of 4 and they all want smart phones the data alone would cost a monthly $120. Family Plan we can share minutes, even text or at least go unlimited for $30, but not data?

I was looking at their data plans they have a $10 plan gives you 75MB!!! AND ONLY can be used on a featured phone!!! That is crazy am I the only one that thinks this is Highway robbery?? I can't believe there is not more of an outcry we just like sending them money.

To be an honest I should be allowed to use a BlackBerry or other Smartphone after my contract is up without a data plan if I want to, I can maybe see is they subsidized the phone but if I am willing to pay full price and just want to use their network for voice and text why can't I? I am willing to "SUFFER" with just using WiFi or old fashion sync with a cable.

Rant over for now, I just wanted to see if I am just crazy and this seems normal to everybody?
    09-23-11 08:39 AM
    yeap Dude, it is unfair and Verizon knows it but hey, as long as people are paying they'll keep charging. Luckily I'm on Sprint and have unlimited data, or at least until iPhone comes out and data hogs are going to force unlimited data out
    09-23-11 09:05 AM
    You make a lot of good points about Verizon's tyranny tiered pricing plans for data plans for new subscribers. Unless the rules change again they state I still get the "unlimited" data plan for $30 as a long time Verizon customer and as long as my plan is not interupted.
    09-23-11 09:18 AM
    Such is why I left Verizon. The data plan changes, or did change, constantly. Their "unlimited" text plan added a la cart on the family plan has fine print, causing it to not be unlimited. I was with AllTel when Verizon bought them out. I loved AllTel, as you could change the plan without adding to the contract. I walked into a Verizon store a few months after AllTel was bought out to ask about making a change for my son. I was assured that I was grandfathered into an AllTel contract, which would allow me to make chance at any time. I made the change I wanted (trying to save money and reduce the data access on my sons phone). This reduced services on one phone line and I was assured that the changes would save money. It increased my bill. I went to change the plan back and was told that I was no longer grandfathered because a Verizon rep had accessed my account. That was just the beginning. I regret ever having given a dime to Verizon. Not to mention, they're very expensive for such a crappy experience. I'm with T-Mobile now. People complain about tmo, but I've been very impressed with them compared to Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 09:19 AM
    You make a lot of good points about Verizon's tyranny tiered pricing plans for data plans for new subscribers. Unless the rules change again they state I still get the "unlimited" data plan for $30 as a long time Verizon customer and as long as my plan is not interupted.
    You will continue to keep the unlimited data as long as you don't downgrade to a dumbphone and back to a smartphone. The tiered data only applies to new customers.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-23-11 10:00 AM
    I was wondering if I was the only one who thought Verizon had lost their greedy minds with their new tiered plan. I expected either 250 MB for $15 or 1 GB for $20. Anything to SAVE money. Instead we get this horrible tiered pricing :/ If I wasn't on contract til April 2013. I would have went to Tmobile that's how disappointed and angry I was. I will probably still make the jump to Tmobile in 2012 once my ETF gets lower. Verizon is ridiculous!!
    Last edited by MissElectronics; 09-24-11 at 04:20 AM.
    09-24-11 04:13 AM
    verizon sucks..point blank. The USA needs more carriers. i am with sprint and very happy but sprint has weak service in other areas so i hear.
    09-24-11 06:52 AM
    They still have the best coverage and that's the bottom line for me and a lot of others. the "unlimited" plans are still unlimited just subject to throttling once 2GB is reached, not 5GB. 2GB is their definition of a heavy user and I think their statement of only 5% of users go over that to be classified in the heavy user category is total CRAP. It doesn't take a genius to understand how long it takes to go thru 2GB when streaming pandora and NFL and the like. What about net flix? Total BS to think only 5% of their millions of data users go over 2GB/month.
    I've been getting throttled every weekday between 3 and 5pm, must be a heavy usage time. It started on the 15th like clockwork and never,never, did it previously. i can tell you .09mb for D/L speed is just awesome. NOT!
    So if you haven't been throttled yet and you use over 2GB a month then throttling is in your future. My data usage this month is 3.2GB with one day left to go.
    They still have the best coverage and I'm not going anywhere, just have to learn to deal with it.

When I called to ask about the crappy speeds I was advised to upgrade to a higher tiered plan to avoid being subject to "network optimization". Or my other option was to upgrade to a 4G device for really fast unthrottled speeds. They really beat around the bush about coming right out and saying the "T" word. I could upgrade to a 5GB per month plan for $70 instead of the $30 I pay now for unlimited. More than twice as much. Great deal. It's all about the $bucks$, might as well get used to it.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-24-11 at 02:42 PM.
    09-24-11 02:35 PM
    verizon sucks..point blank. The USA needs more carriers. i am with sprint and very happy but sprint has weak service in other areas so i hear.
    I wouldn't say that Big Red "sucks", but I agree that some additional competition would be good for the market. That is one of the justifications (the additional competition, not the VZW sucks argument) the FCC used when they blocked the AT&T-TMO deal.
    09-24-11 02:42 PM
    No one is forcing you to use Verizon as your carrier. If you don't like their prices and plans, then go somewhere else.

Seems pretty simple to me...

09-24-11 03:13 PM
    I think the throttling isn't a bad idea as much as they are being greedy about it.

09-26-11 03:30 AM
    Sprint has weak service here. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I don't like having to shell out an additional $25 a month, but for a phone that works, I'll do it.
    09-26-11 09:27 AM
    If network coverage was the same, I would switch to another carrier but unfortunately it isn't. So it really isn't that simple is it.

I don't think it is a reason not to call them out on the pricing schemes that take it to us! If you are going to tier the pricing and blame it on excess use, then have a lower price plan for those who don't use a lot of data. I think it is bull if they are so worried about their data network being over used then allow people who want a smartphone with out data plans have that option and be able to shut off data and use it only on WiFi.
    JR A likes this.
    09-26-11 12:48 PM
    If network coverage was the same, I would switch to another carrier but unfortunately it isn't. So it really isn't that simple is it.

I don't think it is a reason not to call them out on the pricing schemes that take it to us! If you are going to tier the pricing and blame it on excess use, then have a lower price plan for those who don't use a lot of data. I think it is bull if they are so worried about their data network being over used then allow people who want a smartphone with out data plans have that option and be able to shut off data and use it only on WiFi.
    I am pretty sure that you still have the option to choose data on a pay-as-you-go plan. The price is high, but you can then block data usage and pay nothing for zero 3G data. You still technically have data, but since it's blocked, you won't use any. Of course, your BBM and such will work only when you're connected to WiFi. I had data blocked on a smartphone for one of my kids. It meets the requirement and costs nothing.
    09-26-11 12:53 PM
    I was wondering if I was the only one who thought Verizon had lost their greedy minds with their new tiered plan. I expected either 250 MB for $15 or 1 GB for $20. Anything to SAVE money. Instead we get this horrible tiered pricing :/ If I wasn't on contract til April 2013. I would have went to Tmobile that's how disappointed and angry I was. I will probably still make the jump to Tmobile in 2012 once my ETF gets lower. Verizon is ridiculous!!
    Welcome to ATT
    09-28-11 07:43 PM
    95% percent of VZW customers so not go over 2GB - so you are paying the same for 2 as for unlim - so if you never went over 2gb what the big deal? If you we thank you, cause large users caused these changes. Yes the top 5% may even throttled in the near future if not already. If you use less than and think that mb plans should be offered? I can see this, but doubt it will happen. Specially since the BB market has severely dwindled. I myself have gone to android for several reasons, but I still like BB. Even on droid I am using less than two GB per month. Unlimited is nothing more than security blanket.

With this said, I am sure the flames will fly.
    09-28-11 07:51 PM
    95% percent of VZW customers so not go over 2GB - so you are paying the same for 2 as for unlim - so if you never went over 2gb what the big deal? If you we thank you, cause large users caused these changes. Yes the top 5% may even throttled in the near future if not already. If you use less than and think that mb plans should be offered? I can see this, but doubt it will happen. Specially since the BB market has severely dwindled. I myself have gone to android for several reasons, but I still like BB. Even on droid I am using less than two GB per month. Unlimited is nothing more than security blanket.

With this said, I am sure the flames will fly.

No flames here, just a point. The tiered isn't just for BB users. It's for all smartphone users. Droid, IPhone, etc. Your post references that BB users are the lowest. I don't see that being the case. I think we all use our fair share of it. My BB, with satellite radio app, for 1 month, i use around 1.5 GB avg. Am I in the top 5%? No way. DO I get throttled? I don't know, can't tell.

Just because the BB market is dwindling, doesn't mean those phones are using less of the data rate than droids or Iphones....
    09-29-11 10:26 AM
    No flames from me either, but my problem is going over by maybe a half a gig. Some months when road tripping I'll go over much more by using GPS and maps.(maybe 3GB in a month, dang! Just flog me and get it over with) So I should be punished for 2 billing cycles for using my unlimited plan more than usual in any given month? Habitual heavy users who go anywhere from 10GB to 100GB in a month are the ones who spoil it for the rest. Flog those A-Holes. I'm not even close to what I would call heavy usage and to put anyone who goes a little over 2GB a month in the heavy category is ridiculous imo. The apps that use large data over the course of a month will do it every time. They need to raise the bar to around 5gb a month. That would make much more sense and we could stream NFL and maybe a little net flix without incurring the wrath of "Big Fred"
    Furthermore, I'll never believe that only 5% of millions of users go over 2GB. Total Crap statement.
    09-29-11 12:46 PM
    No flames here, just a point. The tiered isn't just for BB users. It's for all smartphone users. Droid, IPhone, etc. Your post references that BB users are the lowest. I don't see that being the case. I think we all use our fair share of it. My BB, with satellite radio app, for 1 month, i use around 1.5 GB avg. Am I in the top 5%? No way. DO I get throttled? I don't know, can't tell.

Just because the BB market is dwindling, doesn't mean those phones are using less of the data rate than droids or Iphones....
    All BB data is compressed via RIM's servers and yes it is true that BB's do use less data than Android and iOS. I've never used even a single GB of data on any of the BB's I have owned. Android on the other hand uses anywhere from 2-4GB for me depending on how much I use the device and what brand it is (HTC uses more).
    10-12-11 01:16 AM
    Verizon and Sprint have the same coverage in my area. Wherever I went with Verizon, Sprint had a strong signal.

That being said, Verizon is the second worse when it comes to pricing. ATT is first. Sprint has the best unlimited plans bar-none. I had three dropped calls with Verizon the first week I got them (which was last week; I had Verizon in the past but just got back with them), and all three times I was sitting in my office here in the Silicon Valley! Never happened to me with Sprint. In fact, the only time I ever had a dropped call, which was seldom at best, was when I was going through the hills, moving at 60+ MPH...

The only reason why I went back to Verizon after 5 years was because I wanted the new Bold 9930, and AmazonWireless had a killer deal (any new phone for only a penny) I could NOT pass up. In the end, I find it to be worth it. After corporate discounts, I pay about $15 more a month for an "unlimited plan" (Sprint has the REAL unlimited plan out of the two) than I do with Sprint. It isn't that bad since the alternative was to pay full price for a 9930, or open a second line on my Sprint account and pay $200 for the phone. After crunching the numbers, it would be just as economical to go with Verizon and pay an extra $15 a month for "unlimited", at least this way I don't have to pay $200 upfront for a new phone...

I'm faithful to Sprint, and I will not close my Sprint account as long as they are in business. Even if that means I get Sprint Phone Connect plan (basically a wireless land-line with unlimited local and domestic long distance) for $20 a month. Why? Because they've treated me well, they have the RIGHT idea when it comes to pricing, especially REAL UNLIMITED plans, and they offer all the great new phones that Verizon offers (though, as of late, I would say Sprint has gotten better Android phones than Verizon).

Go Black and Yellow!!!
    Last edited by jranciano; 10-25-11 at 01:52 AM.
    10-25-11 01:43 AM
    Hm... I'm on a 150MB data lol.. i went over to 168MB and they didn't charge me extra..
    10-25-11 06:56 AM
    What do you mean interrupted? Your 'base' plan has nothing to do with your data plan, data is merely an add-on feature. Just don't close your account.

11-22-11 08:37 PM
    It's really not that complicated. Grand-parented unlimited data is yours as long as you keep your service active and keep the data plan (and compatible device) on the line. Basically if you close your account/cancel the line you loose it, or of if you put a non smartphone on the line you loose it. Other than that you are good. Once you loose it you can never get it back.
    11-22-11 09:39 PM
    It's really not that complicated. Grand-parented unlimited data is yours as long as you keep your service active and keep the data plan (and compatible device) on the line. Basically if you close your account/cancel the line you loose it, or of if you put a non smartphone on the line you loose it. Other than that you are good. Once you loose it you can never get it back.
    It's spelled "lose".

11-23-11 11:40 AM
    I even just did an assumption of liability and kept my unlimited data so I know it works.

YourMobileGuru likes this.
    11-23-11 03:06 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD