01-01-10 05:47 PM
29 12
tools
    I'm not sure which bing only browser thread to post this in... this seems to be the most read one...

Go to google.com in your browser

select Menu -> Options -> Browser Configuration

Scroll down to Start Page -> Change to "Home Page"

Under Home Page Address select "Use Current"

At least when you open your browser from then on you will start immediately on Google.com

Hope that helps
    12-31-09 09:43 AM
    Affected? And how? Is Bing demonstrably different than Google in terms of search output? No. Try searching on your computer. Open a tab in your browser to Bing. Open another to Google. Run the same query on both. If you get measurably different results I'd be shocked, as I never have.
    Do you think, or do you know? I get measurably different results. Why don't you look up, lets say " How big is the sun " and compare. Google hands down gives much better results.
    01-01-10 02:56 AM
    First, I have stayed away from this debate because Verizon is not going to change... But after reading this thread I just could not resist.

First the people that are harping about switching carriers or shut up are being silly. Does Bing give good results? Yes. Does Bing go directly to a Dictionary.com or Wikipedia result? No... So stop chiding people saying the change is not that big of a deal. I use Wikipedia all the time. Setting that to a homepage or a bookmark is NOT good enough.

Second, Microsoft could be in some real trouble here. Verizon is not considered a legal Monopoly. Microsoft on the other hand is. For them to go into a business relationship with Verizon that requested Verizon remove all other search options from the phone, except for Bing, is in my opinion illegal. I know some will disagree but Microsoft has been ruled a Monopoly and they are forcing out other competitors.

To me the second item seems in where we should focus our efforts.

Also let's not forget that RIM is also to blame. They gave Verizon the tools to remove the other search providers (and not give that feature to the user).

Hopefully their WebKit browser will fix this issue. This is so 1999 to not have the option to be able to add another search provider. I am surprised the community has not found a hack yet. It does not bother me that Verizon pushed this crap on me. It does bother me I can't go on my own and change it.

This is a fairly big deal.
    01-01-10 01:13 PM
    First, I have stayed away from this debate because Verizon is not going to change... But after reading this thread I just could not resist.

First the people that are harping about switching carriers or shut up are being silly. Does Bing give good results? Yes. Does Bing go directly to a Dictionary.com or Wikipedia result? No... So stop chiding people saying the change is not that big of a deal. I use Wikipedia all the time. Setting that to a homepage or a bookmark is NOT good enough.

Second, Microsoft could be in some real trouble here. Verizon is not considered a legal Monopoly. Microsoft on the other hand is. For them to go into a business relationship with Verizon that requested Verizon remove all other search options from the phone, except for Bing, is in my opinion illegal. I know some will disagree but Microsoft has been ruled a Monopoly and they are forcing out other competitors.

To me the second item seems in where we should focus our efforts.

Also let's not forget that RIM is also to blame. They gave Verizon the tools to remove the other search providers (and not give that feature to the user).

Hopefully their WebKit browser will fix this issue. This is so 1999 to not have the option to be able to add another search provider. I am surprised the community has not found a hack yet. It does not bother me that Verizon pushed this crap on me. It does bother me I can't go on my own and change it.

This is a fairly big deal.
    +1.

I am hoping someone pushes the right buttons with either the FTC or the FCC about this issue. And you "don't get government involved Libertarians" can scream all you want. I think there is a place for government oversight in some matters. Maybe google has conceded on the BB front since it now has its own phone but maybe Big Google can fight big MS!!!!

What is fascinating is MS basically admitting it has to pay to get Bing in front of users and not only pay to make it the default choice but to make it the only choice.
    01-01-10 05:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD