01-01-10 05:47 PM
29 12
tools
    So I've had the storm for a year and just got the storm2. The built in browser homepage on storm1 used to have google wikipedia and dictionary.com built in so you could searchin those sites right from the homepage.

The storm2 only has Bing built in? Am I missing something? I hate bing!

Is there a way to get the other searches back?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 07:41 AM
    type google.com, or set google as a bookmark. possibly down load the google app?
    12-25-09 07:46 AM
    So I've had the storm for a year and just got the storm2. The built in browser homepage on storm1 used to have google wikipedia and dictionary.com built in so you could searchin those sites right from the homepage.

The storm2 only has Bing built in? Am I missing something? I hate bing!

Is there a way to get the other searches back?

Call Verizon and yell at them like everyone else is. I guess if we get enough people to yell at them they might change it back.
    12-25-09 08:05 AM
    Call Verizon and yell at them like everyone else is. I guess if we get enough people to yell at them they might change it back.
    This went into effect last week...until then we had all the options. Verizon has signed an agreement with Microsoft to exclusivly use Bing in the dropdown. Call and complain...
    12-25-09 09:01 AM
    For more information chk the Verizon forum. There have been several posts in regards to this bing push to our phones. There is also a post regarding a petition through Verizon CS.

12-25-09 09:12 AM
    I <3 T-Mobile, I have like 5 search engines available.

12-25-09 09:54 AM
    This went into effect last week...until then we had all the options. Verizon has signed an agreement with Microsoft to exclusivly use Bing in the dropdown. Call and complain...
    oh man youre kidding.. Stupid Verizon!! I loved the other search options. Thats it, im going to an i-phone!

Just Kidding..
    12-25-09 10:31 AM
    I know. Thats why I was saying to call Verizon.
    12-25-09 10:49 AM
    type google.com, or set google as a bookmark. possibly down load the google app?
    this is what I did= google is my home page- no issues
    12-25-09 11:30 AM
    calling Verizon will get you nothing except a legal-approved response about how to set a bookmark or homepage. You either have to use Bing, or go the extra step to use a bookmark or change your homepage.
    12-25-09 11:49 AM
    this is what I did= google is my home page- no issues
    Same here.
    12-25-09 12:03 PM
    calling Verizon will get you nothing except a legal-approved response about how to set a bookmark or homepage. You either have to use Bing, or go the extra step to use a bookmark or change your homepage.
    Totally agree, and the volume of "Only Bing?!?"-like threads is getting a bit absurd. If you are just noticing this today then plainly you don't search much, and really aren't affected.

Affected? And how? Is Bing demonstrably different than Google in terms of search output? No. Try searching on your computer. Open a tab in your browser to Bing. Open another to Google. Run the same query on both. If you get measurably different results I'd be shocked, as I never have.

Do I prefer Google? Yes. Is Bing the devil? No. Is VZW free to enter into service agreements with third-parties to serve their own best interests? Of course they are.

Again, if google is that important to you just set it as your home page or set a bookmark. Please, in the Christmas spirit, NO MORE BING THREADS!!!
    Last edited by jlsparks; 12-25-09 at 12:20 PM.
    12-25-09 12:04 PM
    go into the CB app store and search for an app called "search it" i love the app since vzw made that stupid bing thing
    12-25-09 12:09 PM
    Totally agree, and the volume of "Only Bing?!?"-like threads is getting a bit absurd. If you are just noticing this today then plainly you don't search much, and really aren't affected.

Affected? And how? Is Bing demonstrably different than Google in terms of search output? No. Try searching on your computer. Open a tab in your browser to Bing. Open another to Google. Run the same query on both. If you get measurably different results I'd be shocked, as I never have.

Do I prefer Google? Yes. Is Bing the devil? No. Is VZW free to enter into service agreements with third-parties to serve their own best interests? Of course they are.

Again, if google is that important to you just set it as your home page or set a bookmark. Please, in the Christmas spirit, NO MORE BING THREADS!!!
    I think what most people find the issue is there isn't a choice. I used VZW service up until last year and remember the days of the closed environment of the non-smartphones. You couldn't bluetooth pictures or sounds, but had to send them through VZW's network (and you either had a messaging bundle or got charged for each one). Games couldn't be downloaded from any other source but Get it Now, once again, forced revenue for VZW. If you didn't want want to be in that walled garden, the smart phone lineup was your escape (or going to another carrier). Now what is happening is that VZW has started to bring that walled garden to the smart phones. Sure, you might say you can always go to m.google.com, but that's beside the point. Is this an one-time event or is it the start of something else?
    12-25-09 01:08 PM
    I think what most people find the issue is there isn't a choice. I used VZW service up until last year and remember the days of the closed environment of the non-smartphones. You couldn't bluetooth pictures or sounds, but had to send them through VZW's network (and you either had a messaging bundle or got charged for each one). Games couldn't be downloaded from any other source but Get it Now, once again, forced revenue for VZW. If you didn't want want to be in that walled garden, the smart phone lineup was your escape (or going to another carrier). Now what is happening is that VZW has started to bring that walled garden to the smart phones. Sure, you might say you can always go to m.google.com, but that's beside the point. Is this an one-time event or is it the start of something else?
    I think it's a few people trying to make something out of nothing. Does it materially impact the usefulness of the phone? No. Is there a workaround? Yes.

The issues you raise from last year and before have been addressed. VZW is and has been on the road to more open access (who would have thought a year or two ago that they would be carrying Android handsets?)

Like I said, non-issue trying to be made into a big one. That'll be my final comment on the Bing issue. It's evident that some people simply want to raise immaterial issues in an effort to either garner attention or create animosity. Both are a waste of my time. Happy Holidays.
    12-25-09 01:23 PM
    The issues you raise from last year and before have been addressed. VZW is and has been on the road to more open access (who would have thought a year or two ago that they would be carrying Android handsets?)
    Happy Holidays.
    I'm sorry, but VZW has not addressed open access.

https://www22.verizon.com/opendev/112707_news.aspx

That was from 11/27/2007, I have yet to see anyone successfully activate a non VZW device on VZW's network. Even though there is no technical explanation why someone couldn't use a Sprint branded Tour on VZW.

In this memo dated 7/16/08, according to Tony Lewis, Verizon Wireless' vice president of open development; "The company has had "a couple of conversations" with some companies that are developing consumer cell phones under the program, Lewis said, but he doesn't know when those will come out."

That was nearly 18 months ago, we have yet to see a non major manufacturer's cell phone available for a VZW customer. What direction did those conversations take?

And yes, I did expect an Android powered device on VZW's network. Only reason the iPhone didn't come to VZW is because Apple wanted complete control on the device and VZW doesn't know how to be an order-taker.

All the issues I've mentioned are still on-going, they're not "from last year and before."
    12-25-09 03:00 PM
    This seems like a no-brainer for RIM/VZN/Microsoft : make the default be, say, Bing, but retain several others via a pull down table so the user can choose a different one as the default. Crackberrians will be happy and those who don't know up from down on this subject won't care either. This policy shows the thinking of some corporate Idiots. Smells like money and/or Washington: do what we say and shut up It is for your own good and plus, we are saving you money! Yeah, Right! Doctor Neutron
    12-25-09 08:25 PM
    I'm sorry, but VZW has not addressed open access.

https://www22.verizon.com/opendev/112707_news.aspx

That was from 11/27/2007, I have yet to see anyone successfully activate a non VZW device on VZW's network. Even though there is no technical explanation why someone couldn't use a Sprint branded Tour on VZW.

In this memo dated 7/16/08, according to Tony Lewis, Verizon Wireless' vice president of open development; "The company has had "a couple of conversations" with some companies that are developing consumer cell phones under the program, Lewis said, but he doesn't know when those will come out."

That was nearly 18 months ago, we have yet to see a non major manufacturer's cell phone available for a VZW customer. What direction did those conversations take?

And yes, I did expect an Android powered device on VZW's network. Only reason the iPhone didn't come to VZW is because Apple wanted complete control on the device and VZW doesn't know how to be an order-taker.

All the issues I've mentioned are still on-going, they're not "from last year and before."
    Nokia, Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, RIM. What other manufacturers would you have them carry?

AT&T: Apple, Sony, LG, Moto, Nokia, Samsung, Pantech, RIM, HP.

Sprint/Nextel: LG, Samsung, Sanyo, RIM, Moto, Palm, HTC.

Looks pretty consistent to me. What device manufacturers would you have them carry?
    12-25-09 08:34 PM
    well for me its not so much that i dont wanna use bing, as it is not having the other 2 or 3 it also gave us.

And I personally just noticed bc i just upgraded my phone to the storm2 and thats when it took effect for me. My storm1 had the old style.

Oh well. Close the case I guess
    12-26-09 12:58 PM
    Immateriality is relative. So, if someone wants to tell me what they consider immaterial to them, fine. If they want to tell me what is immaterial to me, when they have absolutely no idea who I am, they ought to take an astronomy class and see tha the Earth revolves around the Sun and not around them. Did I make my point?

I learned of the change to Bing when rushing to get the address of a restaurant we were in route to. The Bing search failed to deliver the address anywhere near the top results. I immediately went to a Google search and the address came up in the third result.

Is it salt, then tequila, then lime?

I just compared Google to Bing by searching the names of two people I know well. Google delivered five times the results and while my brain is not so small as to not know that there are likely some duplicates in the Google search results, it is abundantly clear that FOR MY PURPOSES, Bing is inferior.

Yes, I've already set my Storm2 so that my searching will continue to be done via Google.

Yes, this remains an issue to me.
    12-26-09 08:03 PM
    I downloaded the "quick launch google search" and assigned it to my left convenience key.. I absolutely despise bing..
    12-26-09 08:40 PM
    lololololololololol.............meeeeeeeeeeee tooooooooooo
    12-26-09 10:40 PM
    It's not a big deal. If you don't like it, you can switch carriers. I don't notice a difference in my Bing searches compared to Google.

12-27-09 03:37 AM
    I'm not a Bing fan either but it isn't so much the seaech results as it is the time it takes for the phone to display the results of the query. I was showing off my S2 at a party last night and the search query never displayed the results. I was in 3G and had 4 bars. Has anyone else noticed this?

12-27-09 08:07 AM
    It's not a big deal. If you don't like it, you can switch carriers. I don't notice a difference in my Bing searches compared to Google.

For $350.00. Don't forget that tiny detail. Now everyone quit complaining. Eyes back on the map.
    12-27-09 08:14 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD