I have been under contract with my data plan since March of 2009, contract will be up March of 2011. My carrier is Verizon. I am now in the habit of buying my phones on ebay and just switching the esn. Recently, I have decided I would like to purchase the Curve 8530 on ebay. My question is: once my contract is up in March of next year, will I be able to lose the data plan and just use the wifi? I've looked all over the net for this answer, but have seen conflicting responses. I've seen some responses say that you can do this, but you need to block data so that you won't get charged, and that this option is supposedly no longer available through Verizon. I've also seen responses that basically say no, as long as it's a bb, you have to have a data plan or else it won't work. Can anyone who has done this or absolutely knows for a fact, tell me?
    06-07-10 09:22 AM
    On Verizon, as long as you have a BB, you have a data plan. You can't activate a BB without a data plan and you can't remove one from an active line with a BB on it. If you manage to remove it somehow, WiFi won't work. You need an active BIS plan for WiFi to work.
    06-07-10 09:30 AM
    No you cant cause verizon requires a data plan on every smartphone. Only certain apps will work over wifi and native BB apps only work with BIS/BES.
    06-07-10 09:31 AM
    Thank you for information!! I appreciate it!!
    06-07-10 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD