06-08-09 04:44 PM
29 12
tools
    Do you need any extra plan with the Omnia....isit mandatory for data like BlackBerry is?
    06-07-09 03:52 PM
    You need a data plan @ $29.99 to use the Omnia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 03:54 PM
    So with that 29.99, does that include unlimited data and does it have an email service similar to BB? I ask because my Father in Law is interested in this phone. Is it a decent phone/PDA?
    06-07-09 03:58 PM
    My buddies wife had the T-Mo version of the Omnia (don't remember what its called)...she hated it...not really sure why though...She didn't like her G1 much either so she might just be overly picky
    06-07-09 04:01 PM
    So with that 29.99, does that include unlimited data and does it have an email service similar to BB? I ask because my Father in Law is interested in this phone. Is it a decent phone/PDA?
    Pricing and function of the data plans are the same as on a BB. There is no BIS type service, but you can set it all up from the phone.

*Everything from here down is strictly personal opinion*

As far as is it a decent phone/PDA, I'm not a fan of it. I know alot of pople like Windows Mobile, but I don't and I don't think it works all that well on the Omnia. If he's looking for a WinMo device I'd suggest either the Samsung Saga or the HTC Touch Diamond.
    06-07-09 04:31 PM
    I've had the samsung omnia. one of the best, most customizable phones with a NICE screen, great camera and well, to be honest, every feature you could ever want except for a 3.5mm headphone jack. I got rid of it, because while have the media player open (which ate a lot of memory) the keyboard slowed down. So since i'm on my Mp3 player for 3-4 hours a day, I had to toss it. But it's a GOOD phone. It does everything well, except multitasking while listening to music. It has Divx codecs, it has a NICE camera, a nice keyboard, and it's just an overall good phone. I wouldn't have gotten rid of it if it weren't for that minor issue, but it was very big for me .
    06-07-09 05:10 PM
    Ahhh bt the way. Push Email on WinMO phones is HORRIBLE. So if he wants an INSTANT phone with PUSHED content: Blackberry
    Other than that, a WinMo phone is fine
    06-07-09 05:12 PM
    I,m glad I saw this

I saw the online deal with the omnia where you can get one get one free or upto 4 phones for the same price but I just refuse to pay for data plans now so I'll try another or ebay one
    06-07-09 05:15 PM
    dont get an omnia i hated it so much i threw it against the wall
    06-07-09 06:08 PM
    Well he is looking to combine his phone and PDA. He wants a touch screen, WinMo, and be able to usepower point and excel. He's not worried about the email thing and might not get the phone because of the need for a data plan. Is there any WinMo phone that you don't HAVE to purchase a data plan?

06-07-09 06:48 PM
    I think the trouble for me oberhaus is that I live in a verizon cdma area and their phones are rather basic and choice is limited and with most of the cheaper ones looking like kids walkie talkies it's difficult to know what to do
    06-07-09 06:50 PM
    Well he is looking to combine his phone and PDA. He wants a touch screen, WinMo, and be able to usepower point and excel. He's not worried about the email thing and might not get the phone because of the need for a data plan. Is there any WinMo phone that you don't HAVE to purchase a data plan?

If you can find an XV6900, that may be the may to go. It's essentially an HTC Touch. WinMo and all touch screen. It's the last of the PDA's that don't need the data plan.
    06-07-09 06:53 PM
    If you can find an XV6900, that may be the may to go. It's essentially an HTC Touch. WinMo and all touch screen. It's the last of the PDA's that don't need the data plan.
    Does it have the WinMo 6.1, and do power point , excel etc ? How old is the thecnology on that phone? I told him the benefits of having the data plan vs wifi on his pda. He won't always find an internet signal with wifi where the days plan uses THE Network.

06-07-09 07:06 PM
    can I be honest with you...

if you can talk him into a saga instead it would be a better decision..

the omnia is not that great of a phone..

I don't like windows mobile much as many people may know..

but after playing quite a bit with both the omnia and the saga and can tell you that the saga is a much better windows mobile device then the omnia..
    06-07-09 08:44 PM
    Don't get the omnia. I had one for awhlle and the battery life was terrible and the virtual keyboard didn't cut it for me.

I don't know about the saga but it looks like its better, at least its more like a blackberry form factor
    06-07-09 08:53 PM
    He's gonna try the XV6900 I think. He really doesn't want to spend the extra $30 a month for data. But if that doesn't work for him, what's the best alternative? He'll have to get a data plan, but I believe he is set on a touch screen device. Is the Saga touch screen? If not, what WinMo touch device do you recommend?

06-07-09 09:07 PM
    I think the trouble for me oberhaus is that I live in a verizon cdma area and their phones are rather basic and choice is limited and with most of the cheaper ones looking like kids walkie talkies it's difficult to know what to do
    How about not choose Verizon Wireless? If you don't like their phones and don't want to pay for a data plan when you're buying a data phone, why pick Verizon Wireless?
    06-07-09 10:31 PM
    How about not choose Verizon Wireless? If you don't like their phones and don't want to pay for a data plan when you're buying a data phone, why pick Verizon Wireless?
    Excellent point.

I wonder if these people actually compare what is offered out there before they make their claims or are they just regurgitating what they read on some odd site.

Of course, more often that not, it is some kid, jealous of their friend's Sidekick & upset because mom & dad don't switch to T-Mobile.

06-08-09 01:43 AM

did you fail to read that he lives in a "verizon cdma area"

contrary to popular belief at&t /t-mobile just don't work everywhere nor does verizon...

so hes making the right choice by picking the carrier first then the phone IMO
    06-08-09 03:00 AM

contrary to popular belief at&t /t-mobile just don't work everywhere nor does verizon...

To his credit though, you can safely assume there is more than one carrier available in the area due to FCC regulations.

I still say it's better to choose a carrier first, then a phone but you're kind of jumping down the guy's throat for nothing.
    06-08-09 03:31 AM

Yes, I did read that. What I didn't read, and still haven't, is "I live ONLY in a Verizon CDMA area". Besides, how many people come in here saying they have Sprint and roam on VZW's towers? Many.

06-08-09 06:40 AM
    Well in my father in laws case, leaving Verizon is not an option. Everybody in out family is on Verizon. Now if the XV6900 doesn't cut it for him, what WinMo touch device would you recommend?

06-08-09 08:25 AM
    Well in my father in laws case, leaving Verizon is not an option. Everybody in out family is on Verizon. Now if the XV6900 doesn't cut it for him, what WinMo touch device would you recommend?
    Today? Saga.

Tomorrow? Hard to tell.

He might not like the XV6900 - it wasn't a very good design.

06-08-09 10:13 AM
    Today? Saga.

Tomorrow? Hard to tell.

He might not like the XV6900 - it wasn't a very good design.

X2, I've heard of many people having issues with the XV6900.
    06-08-09 10:49 AM
    Saga is touch screen? He seems set on touch screen.

06-08-09 11:18 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD