08-02-09 01:29 PM
27 12
tools
    Are these " smartphones"?

As in is a data plan required to activate?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 09:21 PM
    They are considered smart phones, so yes, a data plan would most likely be required. Gotta love Verizon...
    07-30-09 09:26 PM
    Yes & yes.

The Omnia2 should be here within the next two months. It is potent enough to rip Storms out of the hands of the most ardent BlackBerry fan.

Up to 32GB memory, with a microSD slot for up to 32GB more.

3.7in AMOLED display that will blow you away - no need for power-hungry backlighting.

WinMo 6.5 Pro with TouchWiz2.

MS Office included.

Responsive touchscreen that rivals or beats iPhone.

Check it out at:

SAMSUNG OMNIA II

Do not attempt that link with BlackBerry, as a BlackBerry cannot render it. A WinMo phone can, as can your computer.

07-30-09 09:34 PM
    I had a friend that wants a good touchscreen device but no data plan......

how much does a data plan for a winmo device cost?
    07-30-09 09:40 PM

Same as a Blackberry
    07-30-09 09:45 PM

Saaaame as Blackberry
    07-30-09 09:45 PM
    thanks guys
    07-30-09 09:47 PM
    Same as BlackBerry, but better. With the Omnias, when the RIM server goes down, your Omnia keeps working.

07-30-09 09:49 PM
    Same as BlackBerry, but better. With the Omnias, when the RIM server goes down, your Omnia keeps working.

dad, why can't I pm you? do you do BBM?
    07-30-09 09:50 PM
    They are considered smart phones, so yes, a data plan would most likely be required. Gotta love Verizon...
    Ohh yeahh, damn them for requiring a data package.
    07-30-09 09:52 PM
    dad, why can't I pm you? do you do BBM?
    I hate IMs and I had to shut down the PMs. Too many requests for private advice and too many threats & harassments.

You probably wouldn't want my advice right now anyway. Scotch, fat heaters & the Canadian dusk are affecting my judgment.

07-30-09 09:55 PM
    this phone is super duperly awesomely sexy buttttt u cant compare it to a blackberry. ill have to see it when it comes out to really know its capabilities...
    07-30-09 09:55 PM
    I hate IMs and I had to shut down the PMs. Too many requests for private advice and too many threats & harassments.

You probably wouldn't want my advice right now anyway. Scotch, fat heaters & the Canadian dusk are affecting my judgment.

don't want your advice... just a couple questions......

Beer is affecting my judgement right now so things might actually make sense
    07-30-09 10:01 PM
    Oooohhh

This device has video call. I see the front facing camera on the top right corner and when you click on the contact list, it gives you the option for call video call! Sweet!

Maybe I won't have to wait for Apple to bring out an iphone with video call after all
    07-30-09 10:13 PM
    this phone is super duperly awesomely sexy buttttt u cant compare it to a blackberry. ill have to see it when it comes out to really know its capabilities...
    Definitely. I don't like touch screens, but this phone is nuts.

And you're right. To compare the one I have with a BlackBerry is like comparing an i7 to a P4, if you know what I mean.

07-30-09 10:24 PM
    Yes & yes.

The Omnia2 should be here within the next two months. It is potent enough to rip Storms out of the hands of the most ardent BlackBerry fan.

Up to 32GB memory, with a microSD slot for up to 32GB more.

3.7in AMOLED display that will blow you away - no need for power-hungry backlighting.

WinMo 6.5 Pro with TouchWiz2.

MS Office included.

Responsive touchscreen that rivals or beats iPhone.

Check it out at:

SAMSUNG OMNIA II

Do not attempt that link with BlackBerry, as a BlackBerry cannot render it. A WinMo phone can, as can your computer.

LOL you and Dogs really sing Microsofts praises

The cons are that screen will be hard to see in bright sunlight which is a huge detriment if you live in MT I have never seen a windows phone that has good battery life, blackberry owns winmo in battery life. I haven't played with 6.5 so I'm sure its probably improved. No physical KB will keep me away from it. Touch wiz sucks, at least it did in the first Omnia. Windows still has resistive screens that is FAIL, this is 2009 already microsoft.

I am impressed by how samsung hid windows mobile with their UI, I'll be checking it out when it hits the stores, but I don't expect to be impressed until windows 7 is here. I'm sure Twins will call me a blackberry fanboy that refuses to look past his nose but I have an open mind and I alway checking out all the options. Blackberry so far has just met my needs the most while winmo is a little to much like a computer for me to carry around and to check messages and make calls quickly.
    07-30-09 10:27 PM
    One more thing. I don't think this is coming to Verizon. All things point to AT&T.
    07-30-09 10:37 PM
    One more thing. I don't think this is coming to Verizon. All things point to AT&T.
    Its coming to VZ soon.
    07-30-09 10:38 PM
    If BlackBerry meets your needs, then stay with it. I can tell you that the Omnia2 does indeed run about twice as long on a charge as does a Curve. I blame it on the screen.

And that AMOLED screen is much more viewable in direct sunlight. Hard to believe, since this is an area where BlackBerry has traditionally excelled, but it is true.

Dogs started converting back because of some of the preview toys I have. He plays with them and is very impressed.

Know he is one of the few people I trust with keys to my house. He is taking care of the birds & my four tegus.

Also, there is a huge improvement with TouchWiz2 over 1. It doesn't hide all of the WinMo screens, but those are mostly seldom used functions.

Give it a fair shake when it comes out. There will be room for both for awhile yet, but the ability to multitask, view videos and flash-based Web pages is sweet.

And oh yes - it has WiFi and an upgrade may have LTE, as well as CDMA.

07-30-09 10:39 PM
    If BlackBerry meets your needs, then stay with it. I can tell you that the Omnia2 does indeed run about twice as long on a charge as does a Curve. I blame it on the screen.

And that AMOLED screen is much more viewable in direct sunlight. Hard to believe, since this is an area where BlackBerry has traditionally excelled, but it is true.

Dogs started converting back because of some of the preview toys I have. He plays with them and is very impressed.

Know he is one of the few people I trust with keys to my house. He is taking care of the birds & my four tegus.

Also, there is a huge improvement with TouchWiz2 over 1. It doesn't hide all of the WinMo screens, but those are mostly seldom used functions.

Give it a fair shake when it comes out. There will be room for both for awhile yet, but the ability to multitask, view videos and flash-based Web pages is sweet.

And oh yes - it has WiFi and an upgrade may have LTE, as well as CDMA.

Yup I most definitely will give it a shot when it comes out.

As far as the screen goes I was going by reports on the Omnia HD with s60. There are numerous complaints about it in bright sunlight and most people blamed the amoled screen and that was one of the cons of amoled. If thats not the case with amoled then I am guilty of assuming things

I can't comment on battery life as I haven't played with 6.5 yet, just going by past experience.

I have to admit you have me just a touch excited about it but am not holding my breath till 7 is out.
    07-30-09 10:46 PM
    7 will be awesome - a complete rewrite & finally a departure from the CE core.

I haven't had the privilege of playing with the HD yet - different screen than the O2, yet same basic technology - mainly because they still haven't committed to the US market.

07-31-09 12:13 AM
    I am extremely interested in the Omnia 2. I am so glad I didn't use my upgrade for the Tour! Slightly off topic but I saw a phone somewhere online called the Omnia Pro that had a touchscreen and a slide out qwerty keyboard. Is this going to be a Verizon phone as well? I don't particularly like touch screen only phones because I am terrible at using them but the Omnia 2 has me reconsidering that.

Oops. I just found the article again and it says it is a GSM phone so I guess that would be a no.
    Last edited by sjsjr; 07-31-09 at 03:17 PM.
    07-31-09 03:13 PM
    Damn an omnia with full qwerty? Sounds close to EnV Touch but with smartphone capabilites? HOTT
    07-31-09 03:21 PM
    Well it looks very similar the HTC Touch Pro. It is not flip open like the EnV touch. I am just trying to do some research because there are a lot of rumored phones said to be coming to Verizon and I want to see what actually comes out before I upgrade. I think the Tour is a great device but the Omnia 2 rumors and Storm 2 rumors forced me to not impulse buy the Tour.
    07-31-09 03:28 PM
    Omnia Pro has slideout physical keyboard and touchscreen. Think of a thin, properly executed XV6800 with power.

I believe the addresses are as follows - if I miss one, apologies - and this site doesn't always allow an edit.

http://omnia2.samsungmobile.com

The new Samsung Omnia HD - Samsung official website

http://omniapro.samsungmobile.com

Engadget has posted quite a few near-drooling reviews of the new Omnia lineup - some of the words I've seen from various sites include "iPhone killer" "BlackBerry killer" "impeccable fit and finish"

So it isn't just me being impressed.

07-31-09 04:55 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD