12/02/09 so start saving.......

Welcome To Verizon Wireless
    11-23-09 12:34 PM
    Does the Omina 2 have a true Facebook app like Blackberry (since it's running WinMo) or is it just a link to the mobile site?
    11-23-09 03:05 PM
    There was a time when I really thought I wanted the O2...but now that I have the Eris with the Android OS, I'm of a different mindset. I like this OS and Sense UI so much, I can only see changing out the Eris for a similar phone with a larger screen (HTC Passion with the 4.3 screen).
    11-23-09 03:22 PM
    The Omnia screen blows away anything from HTC. Set them side-by-side & the AMOLED screen is so much brighter, sharper & clearer. The size of the Leo/Passion/HDII does nothing to mitigate this deficiency. The Samsung screen is that much better. Put that OmniaII next to a Storm2 & you will swear the S2 screen looks like it was rendered with a LiteBrite toy.

As for the practical side... battery life. I know there are still those with their heads in the sand (or in smellier areas) who swear there is no way anything can beat the battery life of a BlackBerry - plain & simply, those people need to perform a rectal headectomy... unless they are talking about the HDII/Leo/Passion. Battery life on the big screen is roughly 90% that of a Tour - big screen takes its toll. For comparison, a properly configured TP2 battery life is about 120% that of Tour & Omnia2 is about 180-200% that of Tour.

Figure twice the battery life of other large screens out there - although notably, these phones are as good as or better than S2 in battery - & screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 05:16 PM
    I've noticed that touch wiz 2 interface is still getting bad reviews..
    11-23-09 08:18 PM
    I'm gonna have 2 try this one out... I luv my DROiD n Eris but this looks OK..
    11-23-09 09:39 PM
    I've noticed that touch wiz 2 interface is still getting bad reviews..
    Actually, the latest reviews are raving about how it is deeper in many areas than HTC's TouchFlo - Samsung has been adding the newer features back into it, including the one I thought was the dealbreaker - Swype. Swype was part of the original package, then was dropped along with a lot of extra features, as Samsung tried to make it a phone VZW would be happy with.

See, VZW doesn't want anything to show up Droid & BlackBerry - hence the O2 delay and the mystery of the TP2 not in stores & without WM6.5 - problem is, with some of these issues, Microsoft has stepped up a bit & is rumored to be threatening VZW with no WM devices when WM7 comes out if they don't stop artificially messing with the WM market the way they have been. With a little MS leverage against Google & we're starting to see some movement in the very slanted & very corrupt world of VZW phones.

HTC supposedly cannot release WM6.5 on the TP2 anywhere until they can put it on the VZW version. So Sprint customers also suffer - because HTC would then have to pay double licensing, which would push up the cost of the phones.

Last I heard, VZW was ready to tell Samsung to take a hike - Samsung said they would not release their flagship without many of the features VZW wanted removed (HTC radio, anyone?). The problem is, Samsung is much smarter than VZW - look at all of the Samsung devices VZW sells and, guess whose chip & backbone the new LGs are using... so take away the Koreans - LG & Samsung - and what does VZW have left?

VZW does not "cripple" their phones, nor do they block things - they do, however, have the overall least technically capable tech support staff of all the major carriers - VZW does not want to pay for more training, so they do not want extra features that may drive calls into tech support. They strongly encourage OEMs to leave a lot of features off - why no radio/TV on the VZW TP2? Sprint has it. VZW charges extra, while Sprint offers it free. Again, VZW wants to choose what you do with their devices - they think consumers want TV, even with as crappy as the VZW TV is, so it is added to the Imagio - but business people, the ones who could better afford the service, can't get it - unless they go with Sprint.

Overall, VZW's policies suck - their network is a bit better than any other, but that is it.

But back to the original statement - live with TouchWiz II & Swype, it is better than anything out there. Period. Including iPhone. Now if you could only get it on a free-market carrier instead of the all-controlling VZW.
    11-23-09 10:20 PM
    oh my!! but im really hoping for another droid soon
    11-24-09 04:20 AM
    Actually, the latest reviews are raving about how it is deeper in many areas than HTC's TouchFlo - Samsung has been adding the newer features back into it, including the one I thought was the dealbreaker - Swype. Swype was part of the original package, then was dropped along with a lot of extra features, as Samsung tried to make it a phone VZW would be happy with.

See, VZW doesn't want anything to show up Droid & BlackBerry - hence the O2 delay and the mystery of the TP2 not in stores & without WM6.5 - problem is, with some of these issues, Microsoft has stepped up a bit & is rumored to be threatening VZW with no WM devices when WM7 comes out if they don't stop artificially messing with the WM market the way they have been. With a little MS leverage against Google & we're starting to see some movement in the very slanted & very corrupt world of VZW phones.

HTC supposedly cannot release WM6.5 on the TP2 anywhere until they can put it on the VZW version. So Sprint customers also suffer - because HTC would then have to pay double licensing, which would push up the cost of the phones.

Last I heard, VZW was ready to tell Samsung to take a hike - Samsung said they would not release their flagship without many of the features VZW wanted removed (HTC radio, anyone?). The problem is, Samsung is much smarter than VZW - look at all of the Samsung devices VZW sells and, guess whose chip & backbone the new LGs are using... so take away the Koreans - LG & Samsung - and what does VZW have left?

VZW does not "cripple" their phones, nor do they block things - they do, however, have the overall least technically capable tech support staff of all the major carriers - VZW does not want to pay for more training, so they do not want extra features that may drive calls into tech support. They strongly encourage OEMs to leave a lot of features off - why no radio/TV on the VZW TP2? Sprint has it. VZW charges extra, while Sprint offers it free. Again, VZW wants to choose what you do with their devices - they think consumers want TV, even with as crappy as the VZW TV is, so it is added to the Imagio - but business people, the ones who could better afford the service, can't get it - unless they go with Sprint.

Overall, VZW's policies suck - their network is a bit better than any other, but that is it.

But back to the original statement - live with TouchWiz II & Swype, it is better than anything out there. Period. Including iPhone. Now if you could only get it on a free-market carrier instead of the all-controlling VZW.
    To be honest, I don't agree with most of this post as most of it just doesn't make sense... As most of the statements begin with phrases like, "last I heard," or "supposedly," and "rumor has it..." Thats not to say that there isn't any truth to some of your statements, but these make it sound like a conspiracy...

Verizon delaying the Omnia 2 so it doesn't show up the Droid's and BlackBerry's... When it comes to product releases, its not at all uncommon to see release dates get spread out... This is the case for many industries.

Verizon severing ties with Samsung (and LG along with them since the some of the internals are Samsung)?.... Probably not going to happen... Do I have any proof to back this up? No... But I guess last I heard... Verizon had no intentions of dumping Samsung...

Verizon having the least technically capable tech support, and because of this, wanting to dumb down the phones so less calls come in...
    I don't even know how you came up with this one...

I see most of these statements as being completely unfounded and somewhat absurd, and because of that, I won't be making a page long argument... But if down the line any part of this post is proven otherwise, I'll eat my words...
    11-24-09 05:53 AM
    I have to jump in on this one. While I did have the Moto Droid and
    returned it because I bought a netbook instead. I would agree that
    this phone was pushed back. To make room for the Droid. I didi a lot
    of research on this phone and it is quite a capable device.
    It would have taken some thunder. Think not?
    In fact in some reviews they compared the Moto Droids screen to
    the Omnias. They said the two screens are up there amongst the
    best resolution. Only possible draw back with the O2's screen
    is possibly when it is in direct sunlight.
    This phone is kick arse

Samsung I8000 Omnia II review: A surprising experience - GSMArena.com
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 11-24-09 at 08:56 AM.
    11-24-09 08:54 AM
    Twins- I'm not doubting you, but why will the 02's battery life be so much better? better power management by the OS?
    11-24-09 11:59 AM
    Twins- I'm not doubting you, but why will the 02's battery life be so much better? better power management by the OS?
    The biggest reason is the screen - AMOLED doesn't require backlighting. It is very power efficient. Coupled with a more robust set of power management features including proximity detection, you get a phone that you won't have to charge much at all.

11-24-09 04:15 PM
    To be honest, I don't agree with most of this post as most of it just doesn't make sense... As most of the statements begin with phrases like, "last I heard," or "supposedly," and "rumor has it..." Thats not to say that there isn't any truth to some of your statements, but these make it sound like a conspiracy...

Verizon delaying the Omnia 2 so it doesn't show up the Droid's and BlackBerry's... When it comes to product releases, its not at all uncommon to see release dates get spread out... This is the case for many industries.

Verizon severing ties with Samsung (and LG along with them since the some of the internals are Samsung)?.... Probably not going to happen... Do I have any proof to back this up? No... But I guess last I heard... Verizon had no intentions of dumping Samsung...

Verizon having the least technically capable tech support, and because of this, wanting to dumb down the phones so less calls come in...
    I don't even know how you came up with this one...

I see most of these statements as being completely unfounded and somewhat absurd, and because of that, I won't be making a page long argument... But if down the line any part of this post is proven otherwise, I'll eat my words...
    You see most of what I say that is pro-VZW as something you can support & understand, but the minute I cause the VZW cheerleaders to squirm & the VZW employees discomfort & you suddenly find what I write as absurd & unfounded?

You can't have it both ways - and when you want to pay the damages, I will continue to put out intelligent speculation, while you continue to spout the VZW company line.

Omnia 2 was originally to be released with the TP2, before the Droid came around. Delay after delay due to various VZW-created issues (HTC contracts, sudden Droid release, etc.) pushed it back until Samsung pushed back. What is difficult to understand about this?

Oh wait - I deal with devices long before they are released, while you work entry-level carrier.

Lets see - I can come on here & toss out "proof" & lose my gravy train. Sorry, you're not worth that. That proof would often shine light on the really dark side of VZW - something many of you don't want to hear or know about.

Instead, I often have to vaguely allude to reality, letting the intelligent connect the dots & hopefully figure out something close to reality. Those whose feelings were hurt or otherwise have a clouded vision of their employer causing an appearance of ignorance, sit back & see these things as absurd & unfounded.

I watched the O2 development & chronicled some of it here - you sat back thinking the Droid was the end-all of VZW phones. I saw Swype added, then removed, then readded. I saw OS features on the device that were later removed because it would make VZNavigator look bad. I watched as continuing versions were further tampered with by VZW product planning. Now, miraculously, after Samsung, then LG declined to promise anything new beyond the Rogue, VZW backed off, suddenly giving a release date, with most of the features Samsung wanted on the device back on the device.

But the release is, interestingly, on 120209 - not on Black Friday. The new POS BlackBerry Curve was also booted out of the Black Friday slot.

When you actually know something about the industry, feel free to intelligently counter what I say - otherwise sit back & continue to lie to your customers. It is what carriers do best - lie to their customers. Too bad VZW is the best at doing exactly this. I am smart enough to see it - but the average carrier rep can't see it.

Here's the average rep - I made seven calls to 611 today. I asked about O2 pre-orders after confirming it was a VZW center I reached. Six knew nothing about the O2, telling me it was not coming out. One of the six actually was bright enough to tell me that VZW was only going to be offering BlackBerry & Droid from now on. The one who did admit to knowing the O2 was coming, said it was not known when it would be out & that it would probably be sometime Q1 2010.

Yes, those VZW reps really are a step above...
    11-24-09 07:01 PM
    Not long ago Verizon required the same software on all dumb phones both for customer continuity and also tech support related calls. Been awhile since I had a dumb phone but all the ones I had the same look and feel even if you changed the theme.

11-24-09 07:23 PM
    Dang. Its amazing how many insults have gone out against carrier reps recently.

11-24-09 07:24 PM
    Dang. Its amazing how many insults have gone out against carrier reps recently.
    Sorry - but some of them leave themselves wide open for the barbs.

11-24-09 08:11 PM
    iLol'd. Hey, guess what? Omnia 2 is a coming. seeeesh. Thread jack much?
    11-24-09 10:43 PM
    Windows mobile is great. But so is Blackberry. And Droid. (No pun intended.) But then again, I've always been an "all of the above" person in the tech realm.
    11-24-09 11:37 PM
    How hard is it to set up push e-mail on a WM device?
    Can you get instant Facebook alerts like a Blackberry?
    11-25-09 12:06 PM
    Man this thread was such a dissapointment with all the bickering.
    I've been following the O2 since August. IDK why VZ pushed the date back so far. But whatever. The phone looks sick. I'll for sure be at the store next week to play with it. I'll wait a week or two to see how the reviews are. Everyone says WinMo kills it but, I think its worth a shot. And Win7 is coming sometime next year? I hope the phone succeeds. My BB Pearl is not doing it anymore.
    11-25-09 07:26 PM
    The Thread of Shame is closed for cleaning. Please call back later

UPDATE: The original discussion may continue, remaining on-topic.

The following members are awarded a Public Warning for a totally disgraceful display of personal attacks and fighting in forum:
    MrShawn
    R.O.C.
    tsguy52
    TwinsX2Dad
    Weekendbum
    WirelessVet

This is the holiday season. It's supposed to be a time for friendship and celebration so if the fighting resumes in this or any other thread, the urge to ban combatants may be irresistable. And for those who have rebadged yourselves, remember your previous warnings still count.
    11-25-09 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD