ok I am currently with vzw and have an lg-en-v i am still within 30 days so still have time to switch. i am very interested in the pearl but want the freedom to add and remove the data pack (my income goes real high and real low) but i'm getting mixed answers in the forums. also i text alot mostly "in" so i will only need the 10.00 plan (500any umlin. in text) what is the cheapest best way to do this? is there an e-mail only plan? thanks for all your help!
    12-14-07 03:24 AM
    To get email you will need the data plan, but I could be wrong. Not sure if you can turn it on or off at will depending on your financial situation. Verizon might get a little upset with you changing every other month. You have to ask yourself, do I really need email and web browsing? If all you ready want is text messages, then I would say stay with the phone you have, and save yourself some money.
    12-14-07 05:52 AM
    With all blackberries they required you to have the data plan, the cheapest data plan add-on is $29.99, for email. Don't let them sell you on the $44.99 add-on which is for corporate enterprise server users (business people who sync thier calendars, memos, etc.. with thier work)

Your cheapest option looks to be $79.99..thats 450 minutes plus the email data plan (also includes web browsing).

Without the data plan you cannot receive/send emails or browse the web.
    12-14-07 08:37 AM
    If you don't do pic's in your message. Get the 8830 full key board and larger & clearer display, I had a pearl for a couple of days before i switched. even tho the pearl does the memory word thing i still prefer the 8830. My .02 I still need to call and switch BES to BIS...
    12-14-07 08:52 AM
    ok thanks... i do use pix and flix that was part of the reason for choosing the pearl... hmm....
    12-14-07 12:24 PM
    If you can't afford the data plan every month, I'd suggest sticking with the enV. A cell phone is a luxury item and if it doesn't easily fit in your budget, you probably should give yourself some breathing room the months you can afford it.
    12-14-07 12:49 PM
    With all blackberries they required you to have the data plan, the cheapest data plan add-on is $29.99, for email. Don't let them sell you on the $44.99 add-on which is for corporate enterprise server users (business people who sync thier calendars, memos, etc.. with thier work)

Your cheapest option looks to be $79.99..thats 450 minutes plus the email data plan (also includes web browsing).

Without the data plan you cannot receive/send emails or browse the web.

I don't think that is completely correct. When I was on the phone ordering my BB, I asked what the cheapest total I could be paying monthly was and the woman said it was about 32$ before taxes(I get a company discount). She told me that would be the 450 minute plan with no added features.

I'm not sure if they allow it because of the company discount or what, but I would just call Verizon if I were you and ask. I talked to a rep in a local store and he offered my 8830 to me for nearly 400$, I told him I'd think about it. I called up verizon and talked to a rep over the phone. I told her that sprint offered me the exact same phone for 175 but I didn't want to switch carriers if I didn't have to and by the end of the call the total of the phone came to 162 with the first month free.

They are just like any other company and they want your business and airtime is practically free to them. I read an article a while ago that said a phone company would only have to charge ~5$ for unlimited minutes and they'd be able to pay all their employees and keep service running smoothly. They just charge us ******** amounts because they know they can.
    12-14-07 01:10 PM
    if you pay 32$$ Than you don't have any BB service, you got the 39.99 with your company discount for PHONE service ONLY.
    12-14-07 07:49 PM
    Hello! I was in the same boat until last week. I had the Verizon enV and couldn't stand it! The Pearl is far superior in every way possible. Yes, the enV has a full keyboard, but the SureType technology has enabled me to type faster (once you get used to it - it doesn't take long).

I negotiated a deal with a store rep (and manager). They gave me the Pearl for $229, since I had just gotten the enV six months ago and had no upgrade credit. Just be nice and persistent! I then sold my enV on ebay for $229, which worked out very nicely!!!

The data plan for you will only be $29.99 extra, not the $44.99. I pay the $29.99 and get unlimited email/internet. Texting will be extra, as you know. Verizon can be a little more expensive than others (like TMO), but my wife and I were already w/ Verizon and their service is very good - and coverage is excellent. This can be according to your locale, of course.

Good luck whatever you decide! The Pearl is a great phone and lots o' fun. But I agree, don't get yourself in a pinch. Look on the bright side - if you have to wait a few months, maybe Verizon will have the Curve!
    12-19-07 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD