I have been stuck with my blackberry tour while people stab away at their cool iPhones and bb torches. Why has verizon forsaken me and not released a new blackberry! Should I wait for the iPhone being that I love my itouch? Or wait on the bb playbook and storm 3? Advice please!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 02:56 PM
    I'd go with what ever comes first

You like ipod touch, you must like itunes
    So the major negatives for the iphone you already don't mind

The Storm 3 we know nothing about yet.

01-01-11 03:07 PM
    First, list all of the needs & wants from your device. If you need everything that a Blackberry can give you, either upgrade to something like the 9650 or if you'r desperate, maybe a refurbished 9550. If you feel your provider is not giving you the device you desire, then you can switch providers for like you said, a 9800.
    If you want to stay with your provider, they do offer other platforms that may suit your needs and can be purchased without using your upgrade.
    01-01-11 03:32 PM
    Wait for CES. Then we should know more.

01-01-11 04:02 PM
    they did release a new bb...the bold..

i'd just wait it out. as much as i'd love to have a torch (or a style even) i'm not going to switch carriers just for a phone. even if the iphone comes to verizon i wouldn't switch; i hate itunes. i like my verizon service, it works really well where i live as opposed to other carriers. my ne2 isn't until june. i'm hoping by then rim will have something like the montana with qnx either already released or announced
    Last edited by powderbanks; 01-01-11 at 04:17 PM.
    01-01-11 04:14 PM
    Wait for CES. Then we should know more.

With CES just days away and no info being leaked so far, that wait might just be a lot longer than one might think.
    01-01-11 04:16 PM
    srsly? just because there haven't been leaks doesn't mean there won't be any announcements. do you forget how little was known about the playbook before it was announced at devcon? the actual name wasn't even known until then, let alone any real specs.

i forget which playbook demo it was but somebody asked the presenter from rim what a 'fly on the boardroom wall would hear.' the guy from rim responded, 'we would have swatted him' or something to that extent. i got the feeling that they're really trying to keep what they're doing under wraps.

the potential of the qnx os/playbook/tat are setting rim up for some big moves in 2011...ces, with its huge media attention is a great place for them to announce something big. let's just see if they actually do or not...
    01-01-11 04:49 PM
    Verizon hasn't "forsaken" you. You agreed to the contract terms. If you don't want contract terms buy the devices at full retail or add lines to your plan and cancel them and pay the ETFs. That's how most people do it on the forums.

Wait for CES and see if anything is announced...
    01-01-11 05:06 PM
    You're so right or the one place that I have had the most luck is on ebay. I have gotten every single blackberry I have ever owned on ebay but one. It is a cheap and rewarding experience.
    01-01-11 05:45 PM
    Not to be a **** but its sort of a pet peeve - Its iPod Touch NOT iTouch.
    01-01-11 05:50 PM
    Verizon hasn't "forsaken" you. You agreed to the contract terms. If you don't want contract terms buy the devices at full retail or add lines to your plan and cancel them and pay the ETFs. That's how most people do it on the forums.

Wait for CES and see if anything is announced...
    I don't know what forum you've been reading. But here on CrackBerry complaining and cursing the carrier and RIM is SOP.

I'm waiting for either S3 or Torch on VZW.

01-01-11 06:09 PM
    I have been stuck with my blackberry tour while people stab away at their cool iPhones and bb torches. Why has verizon forsaken me and not released a new blackberry! Should I wait for the iPhone being that I love my itouch? Or wait on the bb playbook and storm 3? Advice please!

Forsaken you? Since the release of the Tour there has been the Curve 2, Curve 3G, Pearl Flip, Bold and the Storm 2 (as well as many non Blackberry phones.) Maybe you need to pay attention.

Jude526 likes this.
    01-01-11 08:00 PM
    What does CES mean?
    01-01-11 11:17 PM
    What does CES mean?
    I believe it is an acronym for Consumer Electronics Show.
    01-01-11 11:40 PM
    With CES just days away and no info being leaked so far, that wait might just be a lot longer than one might think.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you there. Many of the phones that will be "announced" at CES have already been leaked. The Sprint EVO 4G Shift, HTC 7 Pro, and Verizon HTC Thunderbolt just to name a few. There have been a lot of rumors of a Sprint branded torch or a storm 3 for verizon. However, no spy shots, no Best Buy, Sprint or Verizon inventory lists. Nothing. We would have seen something if a big announcement was going to be made in a few days at CES. I'm not saying those new CDMA touch blackberries aren't coming...but not anytime soon. Maybe as late as summer. Seems the only carrier to give a rip about RIM is AT&T. And I REALLY dont want switch to GSM and suffer the dropped calls and coverage issues just for the device. I sure hope i'm wrong.
    01-02-11 07:00 AM
    CES is primarily for announcement of new and innovative technology ...since its RIM, there would be no need to have it at the show.

01-02-11 10:07 AM
    I could be wrong, but if folks are going go be holding their breath waiting, its going go look like they're doing interviews for the blue man group... haha
    01-02-11 10:43 AM
    5pecs are out for an iPhone 4 on Verizon by March '11. 1.2 gHz processor, otherwise basically the same as the AT&T version.(sorry, don't have the link handy)

01-02-11 05:12 PM

Understand what you're saying. I 'was' a VZW customer since 2001, and recently asked them the same question, to which I was told, 'let me show you a new Droid'...so, I paid my EFT and said goodbye, and got 2 Torches (one for me, one for my wife...we both had Storms with VZW, and both phones performed well). After a bit of calculations, I even saved money making the switch to AT&T, and guess what...I'm a happy Torch owner and so far happy with both customer service and AT&T's network...and by the way, did I say I was happy with my Torch (oh, yes...I did say that).

So, there are options, and sometimes the net cost is money saved. Have a Blessed and Happy 2011!
    01-02-11 07:04 PM
    If you want to stay with BB The Bold . There are other smartphones out there as well and platforms.
    01-02-11 11:14 PM

swade730,

You asked for advice. Here's mine. Verizon hasn't forsaken you, RIM has. I suggest you forget about BlackBerry (at least for now) and look at the alternatives. I just switched from a Storm to a Motorola Droid 2 Global a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. The D2G does everything the BlackBerry could do, plus a whole lot more and it's incredibly fast (it has a 1.2 GHz processor)! I may consider going back to a BlackBerry some day, but until RIM gets their act together, I'm very happy doing the Droid thing for a while. Think about it...

Riding the Storm Out
    01-03-11 02:40 PM
    Understand what you're saying. I 'was' a VZW customer since 2001, and recently asked them the same question, to which I was told, 'let me show you a new Droid'...so, I paid my EFT and said goodbye, and got 2 Torches (one for me, one for my wife...we both had Storms with VZW, and both phones performed well). After a bit of calculations, I even saved money making the switch to AT&T, and guess what...I'm a happy Torch owner and so far happy with both customer service and AT&T's network...and by the way, did I say I was happy with my Torch (oh, yes...I did say that).

So, there are options, and sometimes the net cost is money saved. Have a Blessed and Happy 2011!
    I'm thinking about doing what you did. I've played with the torch and i love it. Fast, smooth and large screen. I'm just scared to death of AT&T's network. They are notorious for dropped calls. They came in dead last in the latest consumer reports article. Plus i'm with Sprint and the same plan with AT&T would cost me $20 more, and another $10 for navigation which you get free on Sprint. But I am sick and tired of being dissapointed by RIM not releasing a good touch screen phone on a CDMA carrier. I'm afraid if RIM doesn't at least announce a new device on CDMA at CES i'm going to jump ship and try the Torch.
    01-04-11 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD