09-04-08 09:54 PM
45 12
tools
    Honestly, my bluetooth puck is smaller length wise than any of my keys, and just as light.... I can't even tell that it's there.... And, well, I spent $80 on it which would be about 7-8 months of vznav if you want to include taxes, and that's it... i get to use it for the lifetime of the puck... I can use it with other phones/programs and even on my laptop if i get a bluetooth adapter.. I can't see how that's a downfall... I drive for a living and 80 dollars for unlimited use is better than 10 dollars a month for as long as i would need/use gps...

Sucks verzion won't unlock it but just my .02 cents...

The problem is if you have to use your bluetooth for the puck, and you have to use your bluetooth for handsfree in the car, you're pretty much having to decide which is more important, GPS or handsfree. Since talking on a cellphone while driving is illegal in the State of Washington, I'd prefer to use my bluetooth for handsfree.... guess GPS is out the door unless I use VZNAV which IMO totally sucks... bummer!
    08-10-08 05:50 PM
    Can someone explain "puck" to me? And isn't there programs to do GPS on BB that work on verizon? Also compared to AT&T, is GPS the main feature that Verizon disables? Because my friend has added alot to his BB and I want to do the same
    08-10-08 09:08 PM
    good to hear about 4.5. coming in a few weeks
    08-10-08 09:43 PM
    The problem is if you have to use your bluetooth for the puck, and you have to use your bluetooth for handsfree in the car, you're pretty much having to decide which is more important, GPS or handsfree. Since talking on a cellphone while driving is illegal in the State of Washington, I'd prefer to use my bluetooth for handsfree.... guess GPS is out the door unless I use VZNAV which IMO totally sucks... bummer!
    The Curve can connect to more than one bluetooth device at a time. While driving, I can have Nav4All running while streaming an audio book to my stereo. When a call comes in, the book pauses and I talk hands-free with the stereo. When I hang up, I go back to listening to my book and Nav4All never misses a beat.

Bob
    08-10-08 10:37 PM
    I don't use GPS so I could care less, but yay for the official 4.5!
    I agree about GPS and also I LOL'ed @ your signature, I ended up almost waking up my son by lol'ing at 12:35AM
    08-11-08 01:35 AM
    Apollo, I agree with you on that one. My Garmin feeds my needs much better than google maps could ever. The 3D on Garmin, the voice, extras, touch screen, bluetooth phone pairing( I never use that) although iv e tried it and people tell me that in my car I'm crystal clear, but in my truck, forget it. Also, the Garmin is free, no monthly fee. I use this Blackberry for a zillion things already, I don't want to use it just for the sake of using it and have to deal with sub-par functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 04:03 AM
    Ummm no.... My puck and bluetooth headset both work at the same time without any issues... I've tested it... Not saying all headsets work like this, but mine does so no issues on this end... I live in washington also and know that they just passed this law as well... I still don't see any downfall to buying a puck... You realize also, you can use speakerphone and washington state considers that "handsfree" right? If you don't believe me, check into it... Funny how alot of people went out and bought bluetooth headsets because of this law that was passed...
    08-11-08 08:27 AM
    I use the Navigator alot, so I like that feature...I would love the GPS unlocked to use that fitness program that uses your GPS to track how far you've gone, speed, etc. If they would get an app like that for their blackberries, I would be happy.
    08-11-08 08:31 AM
    Well......

The OP's VZW contact was clearly wrong aout the "official" release of 4.5 being by Aug 15. Wonder how many other things he was wrong about.
    09-01-08 10:22 AM
    Well......

The OP's VZW contact was clearly wrong aout the "official" release of 4.5 being by Aug 15. Wonder how many other things he was wrong about.
    Maybe not wrong, but maybe there was problem that was found and had to go back to RIM with it. This will delay the release, but then again I never had info about any official release and I am on the inside.
    09-01-08 10:25 AM
    I agree! Garmin rocks as a navigation tool. Why tie up phone with nav. It also is ALOT safer using Garmin as opposed to your phone while driving. It can also be used in pedestrian mode and has great battery life
    09-03-08 04:14 PM
    I'm not very confident they will ever release 4.5 to Curve owners. Why should they, since they're literally giving them away to long-time customers. There's no profit in testing and supporting an OS upgrade for a device they lose money on the front end with.

My guess is that the only way to get 4.5 is to buy a CDMA Bold, in like a year when they have one, after they've figured out how to disable half it's features then charge extra to enable them.

This has been their MO for years. They tell us things are changing but...have they? Nope. All talk so far.

Love the network, their customer service is almost always superb, but everything else about VZW operates in a parallel universe that nobody understands including themselves.
    09-04-08 02:24 AM
    Running 4.5..77on my WE and everythings working fine. Beta version yes but I got mine now. Not waiting for VZ to get off the pot.
    09-04-08 07:08 AM
    I'm not very confident they will ever release 4.5 to Curve owners. Why should they, since they're literally giving them away to long-time customers. There's no profit in testing and supporting an OS upgrade for a device they lose money on the front end with.

My guess is that the only way to get 4.5 is to buy a CDMA Bold, in like a year when they have one, after they've figured out how to disable half it's features then charge extra to enable them.

This has been their MO for years. They tell us things are changing but...have they? Nope. All talk so far...........
    Something tells me they don't have an option on firmware upgrades. I am willing to bet they are required to do them, within a certain timeframe in order to sell products by RIM. Why would RIM risk Peeving off customers because a cell phone company doesn't want to deal with software upgrades for a PDA? They wouldn't. If Verizon wasn't going to do the upgrades, something tells me, RIM would have something to say about that, and definitely wouldn't be supplying them with new devices. I'm sure if RIM got upset enough, they could release an OS upgrade that would work on Verizon, and probably enable the GPS as well? How happy do you think that would make Verizon? From Verizon's standpoint, its probably the lesser of 2 evils, release software upgrades for a PDA or upset the manufacturer currently supplying them to you.
    09-04-08 08:14 AM
    I'm sure if RIM got upset enough, they could release an OS upgrade that would work on Verizon, and probably enable the GPS as well? How happy do you think that would make Verizon? From Verizon's standpoint, its probably the lesser of 2 evils, release software upgrades for a PDA or upset the manufacturer currently supplying them to you.

Not Likely. If RIM tried to release an OS upgrade because a carrier refused to do one, it would be unsupported by the carrier. So any problems that you would have, which would be a lot hence the reason the carriers test for months on end, would be RIM's problem and they would definitely not want that.
    09-04-08 08:28 AM
    I wish Verizon would come out with a GPS program other than Navigator. It would be nice to use the GPS when I ride dirtbikes or to track pictures taken with the phone. Just for geek purposes only I suppose. I would gladly pay for the right software that wasn't subscription based.
    09-04-08 08:56 AM
    Who knows what's going on behind the curtain between VZW and RIM. Might be a mutual dislike but an acknowledgment that one telling the other to fk off would be bad for both of their businesses. In any case, I sense a bit of friction there...

Verizon are control freaks. Look at their handsets - virtually all of them use the same BREW-based software and share a common UI. For example, the GSM Razr had an entirely different look and feel to it than the Verizon ones did (I say did because most of them are probably broken by now ). You can pick up any VZW supplied handset from any manufacturer and they all have pretty much the same UI, even if the buttons aren't mechanically well suited for it.

I suppose you could argue that it lowers their support costs because they get fewer calls when people switch phones, but I think there's more to it than that. They simply feel the need to rule their suppliers with an iron fist.

The only exceptions I know of are their WinMo and Blackberry devices, but even those can't escape the control freaks because certain features like Bluetooth file transfers and GPS capabilities wind up crippled compared to the same devices on other carriers. Heck, they probably have an entire team of engineers trying to make Get it Now, Vcast and now Rhapsody to work on the Blackberry (apparently with no success) because that's where the real money is, not this silly voice and email stuff. Also, I'm sure it irritates them to no end that they have to pay RIM to use RIM's Internet infrastructure when they have one of their own. Etc.

If they had their way even Blackberry's would be more VZW-centric than they already are. They just like to control as much as they can then charge extra for the privilege. Why do you think they said no to the iPhone? Because Apple required VZW to do things on their back end to support the phone and wouldn't let them get anywhere near the UI. I can't find the exact number but their sheer stubbornness to co-operate with Apple probably cost them a few million customers to ATT. Dumb.
    09-04-08 11:13 AM
    I can't speak for everyone but hey, not trying to.

I, as much as the next guy, love free stuff. I love it a lottttttt. Never paid for a program on my blackberry and i'm happy. However, there is a downfall to free. I had cingular, I had sprint, I had cricket, and in the end, none of them worked for me. Cingular the best, but their coverage was so horrible in most places I went it was sad to me.

That being said, I have come to this realization. Verizon Wireless, is a business, they aim to make money off of me. I, a consumer, should not be suprised that things are locked and blah blah. VZW has far better reception, call clarity, and services, 3g availability, and a better all around package than most other carriers... in my opinion! They take that money and fatten their pockets ofcourse, but they aren't dumb, they fatten their network, they pay their reps better to get better performance, they pay for better training, trainers.

I guess what im saying is this, look at it as a whole, if you don't agree, that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am, and I can see it from all angles, this is just the angle I choose. I pay verizon to make them more money, make their CEO have a fatter wallet, but compared to paying almost the same at Cingular, and in the grand scheme of things, not having that much less when compared side by side in some areas, but having so much more overall.... I think they are on the right track, and the only reason other companies can't do it is because they offered to much up front, to soon, and now they can't go to VZW's business structure without peeving customers. And if you disagree with the fact that AT&T wouldn't do that in a heartbeat if they could pull it off, then I think ya need to learn to see things from all angles.
    09-04-08 03:28 PM
    I agree! Garmin rocks as a navigation tool. Why tie up phone with nav. It also is ALOT safer using Garmin as opposed to your phone while driving. It can also be used in pedestrian mode and has great battery life
    I love the VZ Nav software on my phone. When someone calls, I can either pick up or let the call go. Either way, GPS is working in the background. Don't have a problem there.

In the past, it would make sense to buy one of "those" units. Remember you are dishing out $350 for a unit (a good one) or more and than you have to pay annually to get map updates. I don't mind the $10 bucks a month :-) Plus it gets updated frequently and almost automatically.

P.S. I had 4 Garmins. Man they have really started to degrade in quality. I prefer TomTom. They are a Netherlands company and they know their stuff.
    09-04-08 09:51 PM
    If you don't like 'em leave 'em. I've had 'em all. Verizon is the best all around carrier.

Who knows what's going on behind the curtain between VZW and RIM. Might be a mutual dislike but an acknowledgment that one telling the other to fk off would be bad for both of their businesses. In any case, I sense a bit of friction there...

Verizon are control freaks. Look at their handsets - virtually all of them use the same BREW-based software and share a common UI. For example, the GSM Razr had an entirely different look and feel to it than the Verizon ones did (I say did because most of them are probably broken by now ). You can pick up any VZW supplied handset from any manufacturer and they all have pretty much the same UI, even if the buttons aren't mechanically well suited for it.

I suppose you could argue that it lowers their support costs because they get fewer calls when people switch phones, but I think there's more to it than that. They simply feel the need to rule their suppliers with an iron fist.

The only exceptions I know of are their WinMo and Blackberry devices, but even those can't escape the control freaks because certain features like Bluetooth file transfers and GPS capabilities wind up crippled compared to the same devices on other carriers. Heck, they probably have an entire team of engineers trying to make Get it Now, Vcast and now Rhapsody to work on the Blackberry (apparently with no success) because that's where the real money is, not this silly voice and email stuff. Also, I'm sure it irritates them to no end that they have to pay RIM to use RIM's Internet infrastructure when they have one of their own. Etc.

If they had their way even Blackberry's would be more VZW-centric than they already are. They just like to control as much as they can then charge extra for the privilege. Why do you think they said no to the iPhone? Because Apple required VZW to do things on their back end to support the phone and wouldn't let them get anywhere near the UI. I can't find the exact number but their sheer stubbornness to co-operate with Apple probably cost them a few million customers to ATT. Dumb.
    09-04-08 09:54 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD