09-04-08 09:54 PM
45 12
tools
    I just got off the phone with Verizon, after emailing the CEO, to question the policy concerning GPS.

Long story short, Verizon will not be unlocking Blackberry GPS, ever.

Good news though: The official Blackberry OS 4.5 for Verizon will be out within 2 business weeks, so figure by Aug 15th. Also, when the Thunder comes out, the newest version of VZ Navigator will be available for Blackberry users.
    07-31-08 02:13 PM
    Nice! I've been waiting for this! Thanx a lot!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 02:17 PM
    Im glad Im not Verizon that whole gps thing would pisss me off!
    07-31-08 02:20 PM
    I can't wait!!

07-31-08 02:24 PM
    Just buy a GPS puck and you can use any GPS app you want also, 4.5 coming out will be .66 or .70 if its within a couple weeks.

07-31-08 02:28 PM
    Who wants to carry around a puck? Besides, the GPS problem with Verizon has only something to do with mapping - what about all the other great applications that have nothing to do with maps? Verizon wants you to wait until they are ready to create 411/information services, buddy locators and numerous other applications that use GPS. Won't happen on Verizon and you're just forced out because they think the only purpose anyone cares is for driving.
    07-31-08 02:40 PM
    well, that does it.

i just bought a verizon curve and started up service... i dont have any need for GPS nav, but if i cant even use the GPS for location based searches, that's it. going back to t-mobile.
    07-31-08 07:18 PM
    One more reason I'm glad I switched to AT&T!
    07-31-08 07:27 PM
    I don't use GPS so I could care less, but yay for the official 4.5!
    07-31-08 07:30 PM
    Who wants to carry around a puck? Besides, the GPS problem with Verizon has only something to do with mapping - what about all the other great applications that have nothing to do with maps? Verizon wants you to wait until they are ready to create 411/information services, buddy locators and numerous other applications that use GPS. Won't happen on Verizon and you're just forced out because they think the only purpose anyone cares is for driving.
    Honestly, my bluetooth puck is smaller length wise than any of my keys, and just as light.... I can't even tell that it's there.... And, well, I spent $80 on it which would be about 7-8 months of vznav if you want to include taxes, and that's it... i get to use it for the lifetime of the puck... I can use it with other phones/programs and even on my laptop if i get a bluetooth adapter.. I can't see how that's a downfall... I drive for a living and 80 dollars for unlimited use is better than 10 dollars a month for as long as i would need/use gps...

Sucks verzion won't unlock it but just my .02 cents...
    Last edited by snowboarder61; 07-31-08 at 08:42 PM.
    07-31-08 08:39 PM
    There are a few issues with the puck: it is a separate item to charge although, the fact that it is separate probably means the BB battery lasts longer. It has to use the bluetooth potentially conflicting with other bluetooth devices and sometimes, I do have trouble getting the 8830, or rather some applications, to see the puck (freedom 2000) - I have to go into bluetooth, devices, properties, etc to get it finally "talking"
    07-31-08 09:47 PM
    I gotta say the GPS is going to be the one feature I'll miss when I move from my HTC 6900 to the Thunder as the GPS in my phone is unlocked. Granted it isn't working so hot due to drivers issues nobody has solved yet. I guess I could hope the Thunder is the first Verizon phone to have a unlocked GPS, but you know it'll be a cold day in **** before that happens.
    07-31-08 10:10 PM
    According to the guy I spoke with, The Thunder will not have unlocked GPS, but as soon as it is released, all Blackberries will be getting the updated VZ Nav.
    07-31-08 11:11 PM
    Here's the problem... VZNav sucks.

I don't want turn-by-turn navigation, I want Google Maps.

Here's an idea: petition RIM, not Verizon. Petitioning Verizon gets nobody anywhere - VZW's too big to care about a petition created by users. But RIM is much smaller, and a petition might get farther with them. And RIM *is* big enough to put pressure on VZW to open up their hardware. VZW can't afford to lose all of their BES customers if they don't give in to RIM's demands.

... Just a thought.
    07-31-08 11:14 PM
    I don't use GPS so I could care less, but yay for the official 4.5!
    Same here!! That's why I have a Garmin navigation system in my truck. I have no use at all for GPS on my Berry.

07-31-08 11:21 PM
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm slightly irritated when i think too hard about this - All I really want is google maps to be a bit more accurate than the 1700-5000 meters i get now with tower triangulation. I dont care for, nor do i need the specificity offered by vz-nav - and therefore i have no plans to pay for it......but as I've said before - this is their choice.

If you want truly accurate GPS - you need a dedicated device - The GPS receiver in the phones is not designed for the sort of calculations required for spot-on real-time accuracy. Cell tower triangulation (assuming this is employed) may help speed up the process - but the receiver still needs to calculate the timing of the signals from the various satellites, and a number of factors will contribute to errors (multipath, obstruction, degradation, etc.). It may show you in the right spot, it may not...depends on host of factors.

IMHO, bluetooth receivers are a next-best-thing, as they seem to have the specs to do a little better. I've been trying to track down specs on the 8330 GPS receiver, but cant find it (i'll admit i haven't looked too hard). It may be annoying to carry a puck, but a few seem to have balanced battery-life and size. But I have yet to invest, b/c i'd rather apply that money towards a higher end GPS unit that allows data-logging. but i digress.

It's good to see that 4.5 is coming sooner than later for VZW, assuming this is true!
    08-01-08 12:21 AM
    I live in pa. and i was traveling the turnpike to harrisburg pa. i live by pittsburgh. and google maps was almost pinpoint accurate to our position on the turnpike. of course theres tons of towers, i think thats the reason. but i have vzw and a curve. so the thunder is coming out for vzw?
    08-01-08 12:49 AM
    that's probably b/c the towers are along the turnpike. w/o gps, it's the only way to calc location.
    08-01-08 01:20 AM
    will 4.5 fix the memory leak issue? ...i hope so....
    08-01-08 01:03 PM
    Updated VZ NAV!?

This is awesome news! i guess i'm one of the few who LOVE VZ Nav. i take alot of road trips (for pleasure) and i used to have the 4.0 on my enV and have the old version on my BB. so, yay!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 08-01-08 at 01:11 PM.
    08-01-08 01:06 PM
    The offical version of the 4.5 final release (non-beta) will be great but I am currently running 4.5.0.51 beta and have had no memory leaks since installing, evern with a ton of software apps I am still holding strong at 37 bytes of memory
    08-01-08 01:35 PM
    Cool, I have been holding off on loading up the beta! hoping to put on the "official" Verizon 4.5 OS so they cant say I'M the one who screwed up my curve if the os has problems....

As for the GPS, I have the 2000 puck, it works great... BUT Why should I have to use it IF my phone HAS GPS .... It's just unbelievable that Verizon keeps a hold on my B@$ls and wont let go !!
    08-01-08 02:43 PM
    There are a few issues with the puck: it is a separate item to charge although, the fact that it is separate probably means the BB battery lasts longer. It has to use the bluetooth potentially conflicting with other bluetooth devices and sometimes, I do have trouble getting the 8830, or rather some applications, to see the puck (freedom 2000) - I have to go into bluetooth, devices, properties, etc to get it finally "talking"
    The only time I have connectivity issues is when I keep the puck turned on and it goes into power mode... A simple flick of the power switch off and on real quick fixes that and they pair quickly.. My battery life with using my puck for a couple hours straight is actually very good! I don't hardly use any more of the bb power than normal.. As for pairing multiple devices, I got a pm inquiring about it last night and tested it with the freedom 2000 and my plantronics 665 headset and also my buddys motorola H555 I believe, and the freedom-plantronics/motorola pairing works fine.. I test called with both headsets and had bbmaps running as well at the same time...

Brandon

08-01-08 04:16 PM
    Can't wa-t for 4.5

08-01-08 10:31 PM
    Bah who needs an official release the beta runs fine lol I've learned to not hold my breath with Verizon
    08-01-08 10:33 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD