08-01-11 07:48 AM
38 12
tools
    I thought I would start this to answer all of your questions regarding insurance.

Other Asurion Employees feel free to add on and help out.

Please feel free to read your terms and conditions of the insurance at
    Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center
    Select --Claim Now---Your wireless carrier--

1. Yes there is a Deductible.

2. No you cannot upgrade your phone or downgrade.

3. No the Deductible cannot be waived..

4. No we cannot bill the account.

5. You have 60 days to film a claim from your incident date.

6. If your phone is out of stock will will replace with a comparable model

7. Yes, you have to send back your damaged phone

8. Only have 30 days after you buy or upgrade phone to add insurance. *You cannot add it after the 30days or when you break your phone. On Verizon end you might be added but its rejected on Asurions end*

***Verizon offers 3 tiers of insurance and can only be added within the first 30 days of purchasing a device. The extended warranty which covers manufactures defects does not take effect until after the manufactures one year warranty is up so you will be paying $1.99 every month for the extended warranty for a full year before it does you any good. The second tier is the Asurion protection which I pay $6 a month for my Droid and the 3rd is the total protection coverage that is a combination of the extended warranty and the Asurion coverage for $7.99 a month for the Droid but the same catch applies in that the extended warranty does nothing for you until after a full year of paying for it. I dont see any point in buying the Total Coverage unless you plan on keeping the device for more than a year, and even then its questionable IMO.

Description

Total Equipment Coverage* offers complete protection for your wireless equipment. It combines the benefits of Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection with the Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program. If your device or covered accessories are inoperable for any reason-lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or malfunctioning-you are covered.

Phones**

$5.99 per month per covered phone.

$39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.

Advanced Devices**

$7.99 per month per covered device.

$89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.

For a list of equipment in the Phones and Advanced Devices programs, please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622.

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection* Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, provides insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the insurance agency within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval. To make an insurance claim online or to obtain Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection Brochure (all terms and conditions), please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622. Asurion Wireless Phone protection is part of the Total Equipment Coverage bundle or sold separately.

Phones**

$4.49 per month per covered phone.
    $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    Equipment maximum limit: $250 per completed claim.

Advanced Devices**

$6.00 per month per covered device.
    $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.

For a list of equipment in the Phones and Advanced Devices programs, please visit Asurion's website or call Asurion at (888) 881-2622.

Claim Limits: 2 Claims in a 12-month period (In New York, 2 claim limit is per policy year).

Asurion may fulfill claims with new or remanufactured equipment. In general, claims are fulfilled with the same make and model you claim. If this is not possible, a like-kind make and model will be substituted. Color, feature and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed.

Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your coverage at any time and receive a pro-rated refund of your unused premium.

Extended Warranty* provides convenient coverage against any mechanical or electrical malfunctions and manufacturer defects after the manufacturer's warranty expires. The customer receives the same model (reconditioned) as the customer’s defective device, or if the same model is not available – a comparable model. The cost is $1.99 monthly per device. Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty is part of the Total Equipment Coverage bundle or sold separately.

*Total Equipment Coverage and Extended Warranty not available in Florida. Florida customers receive extended warranty coverage under the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection policy.

**Effective 5/17/2009, with all new device activations and new device upgrades. Until you upgrade to a new device, the existing monthly fee and deductibles remain in effect.****

More coming soon!!!!.......
    Last edited by BigDawgOfThemAll; 01-28-10 at 07:13 PM.
    01-27-10 01:25 AM
    I will start this one off.....I just filed a claim and see a lot of disclaimers about insurance fraud.....do people really report a fake claim and try to sell the phones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 07:30 AM
    NICE thread! I'll sticky it and we'll see how it goes. Can't promise it will stay sticky, but it seems promising.
    01-27-10 09:12 AM
    Add that they will also replace any accessories, etc, shields, cases, etc. that are damaged as well.
    But yes, a lot of people do this to get a new device, which is a refurb anyway.
    It's a shame really.
    But I believe the deductible and monthly charges are more then they were last summer (you are grandfathered in if you haven't upgraded)
    01-27-10 09:18 AM
    This one has been floating around as well and maybe you can answer it.

Does insurance transfer to a device purchased through a third party? Example: John Doe purchased a new Curve and the insurance but 8 months later bought a NIB Storm on Ebay (not from Verizon) and swapped the phones out. Does the insurance cover the Storm? A lot of people say no it would cancel but others say they have filed claims after doing this. Which is correct?
    01-27-10 10:25 AM
    When I bought my first BB off eBay, and filed a claim it was covered. So I would say it does

01-27-10 01:10 PM
    Nice thread.

01-27-10 11:26 PM
    This one has been floating around as well and maybe you can answer it.

Does insurance transfer to a device purchased through a third party? Example: John Doe purchased a new Curve and the insurance but 8 months later bought a NIB Storm on Ebay (not from Verizon) and swapped the phones out. Does the insurance cover the Storm? A lot of people say no it would cancel but others say they have filed claims after doing this. Which is correct?
    I've not had an issue with this...
    I added a line for my daughter... got a blackberry and then put my env2 on her account... when we went back to visit my sister she and my daughter traded phones. My sister got the Env2 and my daughter got the VX8300
    About a month after that; my daughter looses said 8300 and I call asurian who knew the 8300 was on the acct and promptly replaced it for the $50 fee.
    no issue.
    Havent gotten my insurance canceled either. Had my berry for a year in April.
    01-28-10 02:55 PM
    I've not had an issue with this...
    I added a line for my daughter... got a blackberry and then put my env2 on her account... when we went back to visit my sister she and my daughter traded phones. My sister got the Env2 and my daughter got the VX8300
    About a month after that; my daughter looses said 8300 and I call asurian who knew the 8300 was on the acct and promptly replaced it for the $50 fee.
    no issue.
    Havent gotten my insurance canceled either. Had my berry for a year in April.
    Thats what I hear from a lot of people and I have a friend who had a similar experience. However in other threads here on Crackberry people were saying that a Rep is supposed to remove the insurance when you switch phones to one you have provided yourself (ie bought from Ebay, Craigslist, or from a friend). I was just trying to see what the actual policy on this is.

I guess the proper question would be is the insurance tied to the phone number/line it is purchased on or is it tied to the original device it was purchased for. I think it is the number/line so it transfers but I was hoping an Asurian rep would verify that.
    01-28-10 03:44 PM
    I'm a rep out of Houston..

Yea sometimes it will cover the 3rd party phone and sometimes it catches on....Its just one of them things...

Supposedly its not suppose to cover the 3rd party phone..

But a warning. Even if you add a 3rd party phone and vzw is still charging you, once you file a claim you may get a surprise that you dont have insurance or the phone is not covered..
    Last edited by BigDawgOfThemAll; 01-28-10 at 06:47 PM.
    01-28-10 06:45 PM
    Add that they will also replace any accessories, etc, shields, cases, etc. that are damaged as well.
    But yes, a lot of people do this to get a new device, which is a refurb anyway.
    It's a shame really.
    But I believe the deductible and monthly charges are more then they were last summer (you are grandfathered in if you haven't upgraded)
    Yes they cover accessories but only leather case, ear piece, car charger. We don't cover memory cards..

And FYI the accessories they send is just generic items nothing fancy

About 99% basically you will be sent refurbished phone...They will replace the device with a certified refurbished device. You won't notice any difference, unless they mention to you it was refurbished.

New deductible rates.. $39 and $89..ahh I forgot if your a former ALLTELL client your deductible is $95

If your grandfathered in before May 2009 your deductible stays $50 until you upgrade or buy new phone
    Last edited by BigDawgOfThemAll; 01-28-10 at 06:55 PM.
    01-28-10 06:47 PM
    I will start this one off.....I just filed a claim and see a lot of disclaimers about insurance fraud.....do people really report a fake claim and try to sell the phones?

All the time..Fraud is everywhere with any business
    01-28-10 06:48 PM
    Judging by your last thread, I'm gonna say that you're probably not the best person to talk to on how Asurion policies work.
    01-28-10 07:36 PM
    Ooooh sa nap!

01-28-10 10:11 PM
    Can we close this thread? This "Asurion rep" is a fountain of bad information and lies. Although, he can at least copy and paste correctly
    01-28-10 10:28 PM
    Yeah but Aaron, a ******** monkey can copy and paste.
    01-29-10 07:03 AM
    While I like the concept of this thread until I can verify that the info is accurate, I'm gonna unstick it.
    01-29-10 12:11 PM
    Let me know if you want some help w it. I can PM it to you.

01-29-10 08:25 PM
    While I like the concept of this thread until I can verify that the info is accurate, I'm gonna unstick it.
    The info is correct. No body here disputed the info accurate or not
    01-30-10 04:00 AM
    research is good.
    01-30-10 07:04 AM
    Ok I just got my replacement phone, have to return the damaged unit. Can I keep the SIM and memory card from the damaged phone?
    01-30-10 08:52 AM
    Generally you do; enless the new one has them. In that case I would switch out the Memory card and keep the sim.
    01-30-10 09:00 AM
    Replacements for this device usually come with a new SIM and no SD card. Yes, if they do you can switch them out. This if replaced by VZW, not sure what comes with the device from the insurance co.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-30-10 at 09:24 AM.
    01-30-10 09:22 AM
    I have have Asurion insurance when I had my Storm 1 and upgraded to the Storm 2 and Verizon said the insurance I am paying will transfer to my Storm 2 just fine. I am still paying the $4.99 I was paying with my Storm 1 and not the prices listed in this thread. I called Verizon to verify that my insurance coverage is still the same. I also checked my number/account on Asurion's website and it shows Storm2, $4.99, $50 deductible. Should I be worried about anything?
    01-30-10 01:17 PM
    You were grandfathered when the tiers started. I'm the same way. I have a curve; I got it last april. Prior to that I had the Env2 so when it switched the 4.99 came with; shortly after that the tiered insurance started.
    You would pay $50 deductible in your case.
    Nice on staying grandfathered. *thumbs up*
    01-30-10 01:29 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD