01-08-09 12:50 AM
268 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I spoke with a Verizon technical guy last week. They had called me in response to a Verizon satisfaction survey I filled out. I had said in the survey that the closed nature of Verizon is driving us ( a corporate customer) to look at other carriers. I gave a specific examples of the slowness to release firmware updates and the GPS/VZnavigator situation. They called me specifically in response to this. The tech guy said they will be releasing the new firmware ANY DAY now. He said the delay is that they are actually opening the GPS to be used by Blackberry Maps. He said there are security issues with this, because the app will have access to some of Verizon's servers for the assisted portion of the GPS. He said the technical work is done, it's just the lawyers finishing paperwork. We spoke for a while, and he seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said Verizon has been getting the "lack of openness" feedback a lot, and they are making efforts to change it.

HMM - can anyone else confirm this? This doesn't sound like Verizon being Verizon...
    10-22-08 10:28 AM
    That's what I thought. The rep just said the wrong phone. When I try to upgrade again, I am told that my phone has the most current version. Even after I delete the vendor file. Oh well, I can wait a few weeks. It's not worth the risk of messing up my phone.
    You installed the 4.5 OS into your PC, deleted the vendor.xml file, connected the phone to the USB and booted up the manager...It doesn't prompt you?

Weird. Maybe it has a log showing that you already upgraded to 4.5 based on your pin number or something and is confused.

Why did you downgrade in the first place? I'm on Verizon and so far the 4.5 that was posted is working brilliantly that I even did my wife's phone as well. heh.
    10-22-08 10:47 AM
    I agree, and I too remain skeptical. But, the fact that Verizon actually called me after I filled out a survey is also "Verizon not being Verizon". I asked him some specific questions, to see if what he was telling seemed more like rumor or fact. I asked if this change in the firmware would also open up the location based services that are present in BES, and he said no. I asked if this would open up the GPS to be used with Google maps (had my fingers crossed), and he said "no, this will only open up to BB Maps, and other service down the road". So, if they ever release the darn thing, we will find out.

HMM - can anyone else confirm this? This doesn't sound like Verizon being Verizon...
    10-22-08 11:42 AM
    Yes this would be super, but I too am not holding my breath

I have heard VZW make this security comment about the GPS before which I just don't get.

I suppose that you could have a position sensitive website that would know where you are but does this really matter?

I had a wireless Palm at one point that was cool in the fact it knew where you where so stuff like weather and news was relevant to the city you were in. Why BB and other devices are limited in this is beyond me, oh wait no it is not; some lobbyist lawyer type is trying to protect us!

The only thing that keeps me with VZW over ATT is one, coverage and two, those ATT phones interfere and make noise and that would drive me crazier
    10-22-08 01:17 PM
    How is BBMAps? How does it compare to Google Maps or VZW Nav?
    10-22-08 06:14 PM
    I am not buying anything that Verizon says right now. I received a phone call on my complaint on why and when they will release 4.5 and it just a public relations attempt by a company that really has great coverage but horrible customer relationship. I guess 1 out of 2 aint bad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 08:14 PM
    BB Maps on firmware 4.5.77 is pretty good looking. It seems that with GPS, it will be nice and functional.

How is BBMAps? How does it compare to Google Maps or VZW Nav?
    10-22-08 08:53 PM
    Only verizon would enable GPS for one program only. I pretty much hate verizon for this very reason, taking away a feature that came with the phone. Grrr

10-23-08 02:44 PM
    Any specific date though?

10-27-08 10:56 AM
    According to the guy I spoke with, "any day now, literally a matter of a few days". BUT, I have been checking several times a day since I spoke with him (almost 2 weeks now) and of course it's not been updated.

Any specific date though?

10-27-08 01:48 PM
    whats the different between waiting for a official verizon update and just using a different one from this site? does it void something or do u just need to delete the vendor junk?
    10-27-08 04:24 PM
    the official verizon version might have some specific updates for verizon like unlocked gps or longer sms or something. Other than that you just have to delete the vendor file.
    10-27-08 07:05 PM
    hah! people are still waiting on Verizon to release 4.5...

i installed 4.5 a couple weeks ago and am possibly going to install AGAIN with Verizons official version.

4.5 is nothing special. holds memory a little better, but nothing life changing!

Verizon is a joke when it comes to new stuff... too bad they have the best coverage.
    10-28-08 09:39 AM
    I'm thinking to myself rather they do or don't, I'll probably stay with 4.3 anyways. I'll have to find out first if the HTML is better than Empower. If not, I'll keep what I have.
    10-28-08 09:58 AM
    Nothing yet it seems.
    10-31-08 10:43 AM
    just checked for the first time ever, as I'm a newbie...no update from VZW yet...
    10-31-08 11:51 AM
    this makes me sad, maybe they are waiting for the storm to roll in and do everything at once? i dunno... im just tired of everyone else having 4.5 fun and not me.
    10-31-08 02:56 PM
    If you really want it, it is very easy to obtain.
    10-31-08 03:16 PM
    I'm a noob and learned at lot in the past 2 days. I'm on VZ with a 8830 World Edition and love it with a a couple buts... I was in Nepal a couple weeks ago and it blew away iPhone! I got connected in many places they could not. Hee hee.... Anyways, I'm still on the 4.2 firmware and want to upgrade to 4.5.xx mainly to hack the phone so I can get a louder ringtone. So far I've made 3 attempts through the BB site directly and and have not succeeded in upgrading it yet. Sure... I'll 're-upgrade' when VZ actually gets around to approving an uprgade.

Perhaps I'm totally missing a step? Plz help with steps. I know many lurkers here are likely dealing with the same ignorance issue I seem to be having now.

Forgot to add... the App loader claims I have the most current version.... riiiiiiiight.
    Last edited by Mysticzephyr; 10-31-08 at 05:11 PM.
    10-31-08 04:34 PM
    I would almost bet 4.5 willnot come out for the 8830. But you might want to think about the storm
    10-31-08 05:13 PM
    It's out!

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry
    Last edited by justinwjones; 10-31-08 at 06:27 PM.
    10-31-08 06:21 PM
    OMG!

*runs to site and downloads*
    10-31-08 07:12 PM
    AWSOME! I have the files will do it this weekend. Please leave feedback as you install it!
    10-31-08 07:47 PM
    Update avail for 8130 and 8330
    10-31-08 08:05 PM
    WTF, nothing for the 8830?

Good news though... the link for 4.2 no longer works. lol Maybe they're just slow.
    10-31-08 08:09 PM
268 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD