My AT&T contract expires on September 3rd, and I will be switching to Verizon. I would like to port my number over to Verizon, but there is a slight snag:

My current plan is under my father's name, and I would want the new contract to be under mine. It seems I would need to sign up the new plan under his name in order to port over my number. Is this correct?

1. Should I instead change the account name before my contract expires? (I have heard that AT&T may extend the contract by 11 months if the account number changes, is this true?)

Another option is to sign up with my father's name and then change it after the port. Is this the best way to go with the least amount of possible consequences? Would the contract length change in any way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by lawandorder360; 05-01-09 at 08:44 PM.
    05-01-09 08:42 PM
    My AT&T contract expires on September 3rd, and I will be switching to Verizon. I would like to port my number over to Verizon, but there is a slight snag:

My current plan is under my father's name, and I would want the new contract to be under mine. It seems I would need to sign up the new plan under his name in order to port over my number. Is this correct?

1. Should I instead change the account name before my contract expires? (I have heard that AT&T may extend the contract by 11 months if the account number changes, is this true?)

Another option is to sign up with my father's name and then change it after the port. Is this the best way to go with the least amount of possible consequences? Would the contract length change in any way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Nah, it's hard to explain. What will happen is when you try to port your number in to Verizon, it will kind of come over, then AT&T will cancel the port request because the names won't match. At that point, you will need to call Verizon Wireless' port center, and they will put in your dad's contact info into the port request, but keep your name and info the same on the Verizon account. AT&T will get the second request with the correct info on it, and release the number to Verizon.
    05-01-09 08:46 PM
    Nah, it's hard to explain. What will happen is when you try to port your number in to Verizon, it will kind of come over, then AT&T will cancel the port request because the names won't match. At that point, you will need to call Verizon Wireless' port center, and they will put in your dad's contact info into the port request, but keep your name and info the same on the Verizon account. AT&T will get the second request with the correct info on it, and release the number to Verizon.
    Will I be notified when AT&T cancels the request? Or can I simply tell Verizon during the first port request to use my father's contact info?
    05-01-09 09:02 PM
    Will I be notified when AT&T cancels the request? Or can I simply tell Verizon during the first port request to use my father's contact info?
    You won't be notified by AT&T, and during the first port request, if you do it over the phone, you can send your father's info yes. With the internet or at a store, I wouldn't know.
    05-01-09 09:08 PM
    Thanks much!
    05-01-09 09:13 PM
    Welcome to The Network. You made a good choice. Glad to have your business.
    05-01-09 11:25 PM
    You should never have to talk to the port center. Just take your father to the store with you when you go. Have the rep enter in your father's information (name, address, last four of the social, contact number, account number and account password if their is one). I do it all the time for my customers. You just need to have your father's permission which is implied when he gives you the account info.
    05-02-09 12:03 AM
    Should never have to isn't always reality though. I've had quite a few calls where I've had to call the port center because the old phone could recieve calls and our phone could make calls or vice versa, and it was because something happened with the port.
    05-02-09 12:05 AM
    actually when you go into the store to sign up and wanna port over the rep is gonna ask you some info for the port seperate from your credit check that will be filled out all you would need to have put in is ur fathers info so when the port request goes thru att sees the approval from him and when the port finishes it in your name on the contract with vzw
    05-02-09 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD