Howdy all - I've been lurking for a while and posting here & there as I'm researching the world of BBs. I'm currently with Verizon and want to stay with them, since I get good coverage, my entire family is on VZ, etc. I've been looking to get a BB when I start up my own business in the next month or so.

I (like everyone else) am waiting for the Curve to be released on Verizon and I'll go with that... I think. Here's my hesitation and the questions that have come up.

[and yes, I've searched the forums before posting]

From reading here, I figured the only way to get GPS on the phone was to pay the $10/mo for the VZ Navigator (even if you didn't use it for that) or buy a GPS puck. I called Verizon this morning to ask about GPS and VZ Navigator. I got switched to Verizon's "data department" and one of their reps said that VZ navigator is not "true GPS", but uses cell tower triangulation for its navigation, so even if you get VZ navigator, it has "nothing to do" with GPS. The rep then said that any of the BBs do have GPS, but any third party software was "not supported" by Verizon (meaning they can't give any assistance in making it work, but NOT that it wouldn't work with the internal GPS built into the phone). His bottom line answer - the VZ navigator was a "feature" that is for directions, finding businesses, etc., but if you downloaded a GPS-based program, it would work with a Verizon BB.

I'm thinking he's full of BS, yes? Or am I confused as all get out?
    04-28-08 03:00 PM
    The short verison, it will work, but it's almost like pulling teeth. It's really if you want to deal with trying to get it to work. I've known a few people to get it to work, luck of the draw, and you're right, Verizon, will not support any third party applications...
    04-28-08 03:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply...

The "data guy" made it seem like it was no big deal getting 3rd party apps to work, just that Verizon wouldn't provide customer support in making them work. They seemed to be playing the "we don't disable features" game.

I got him to note my account with what we discussed so if it is like dental surgery and apps won't work, maybe I'll have a starting point of negotiation to get VZ navigator thrown in for free/discount rather than leaving for greener pastures (i.e. AT&T).

Assuming that goes nowhere and I want to stay with VZ, do the pucks work well enough to deal with?
    Last edited by AbeFrohman; 04-28-08 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typos
    04-28-08 03:34 PM
    I've used the Freedom 2000 puck with my Verizon 8830. It has generally been a painless process. Occasionally, I've had to "re invigorate" the gps for some applications. But I've also tracked a bike ride for 58 miles over 6 hours with no problems whatsoever.

I've used it the BBmaps, google maps, trekbuddy, gps-ed, nav4all and one or two other applications (all free, by the way).

The main reason I'm not happy with Verizon is that I had to buy a separate device (tiny, by the way), I have to carry it and I have to separately charge it.

Oh, and we have all heard a variety of info on the internal gps in the 8830, at least, and I don't know if anyone knows if it is real and grabs satellite readings or uses cell towers. Verizon tries keeping the issue muddy or, at least, succeeds in keeping it muddy by accident.
    04-28-08 09:34 PM
    The short verison, it will work, but it's almost like pulling teeth. It's really if you want to deal with trying to get it to work. I've known a few people to get it to work, luck of the draw, and you're right, Verizon, will not support any third party applications...
    No 3rd party GPS app works with interfacing with the GPS in any VZW BB known to date.... the 8330 will be no exception to this rule. VZW disables GPS in these phones in order to get you to pay for their VZNav service via extortion.
    04-29-08 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD