Here's the deal.

I found a Tour on the bus about a week ago. I've held onto it thinking if someone was missing it, I'd be happy to return it - no questions asked. Well, I haven't heard anything, and I've already checked out Craigslist up and down, with no return.

Now, before I become the good samaritan by bringing it to Verizon to ensure the owner is tracked down and whatever, I'm going to be the **** and find out a few things about it first

I know that CDMA phones go off the ESN as far as who owns it, etc. But because the Tour has a SIM card slot, is there any way to wipe the phone and unlock it to be used with AT&T, or, because it was probably reported stolen by now, am I SOL? My theory is if someone really DOES come forward to say they lost it, and it is theirs, I will have done them a favor by having the thing unlocked and whatnot.

(Yeah, my conscience says turn it in, but my CB heart says play with it before turning it in!)

Thanks for ideas, suggestions, facts, etc. in advance....
    08-06-09 10:27 AM
    Turn it in. You could unlock it, but I don't feel like helping someone wanting to steal it. Could be my phone in a year or 6...

Have a nice day
    08-06-09 10:32 AM
    All you have to do is look thru the phonebook and call a close contact of the owner like mom/dad etc... Do the right thing turn the phone in, once you start playing with it u wont give it back. A true CB would turn it in immediately.
    08-06-09 10:38 AM
    You should definitely just turn it in. you should have turned it in by now. Think if this was you missing your phone.

On a side note and to try to get you to turn it in faster, there is no use for you with it on ATT. The phone has a CDMA radio in it. Thats the only radio that can be used in the US. Yes, it has a SIM slot, but that is because it is a global phone. The SIM slot does not work on the ATT frequency rather only on the across sea's frequencies.
    08-06-09 10:41 AM
    decentfreak - thanks for the input.

I've requested this thread be closed. None of you get the idea.
    08-06-09 10:43 AM
    Thread cleaned up, and then closed at the request of the OP. Please take note....

..... from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.
    08-06-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD