09-11-10 12:43 AM
58 123
tools
    Yep, it's not about stock or customer service or any of that other jazz that we forums debaters use for our arguments. There are 3 primary reasons why people choose their carrier:
    1. Family and/or Closest Friends
    2. Phone Selection
    3. Company Provided Phone / Company discount

this is why we switched from T mobile to AT&T..
    09-08-10 02:04 PM
    As far as price goes you definitely have to go with Sprint. But for me excellent customer service is huge in my book.

I have had T-mobile, Sprint, Nextel, Sprint/Nextel. Only Nextel's CS was great. But when they merged with Sprint.........I was through.

I left all the other ones because of terrible CS. People were telling me so much good things about Verizon, I said let me give them a try.

Maaaaaaaannnnnn their CS is leaps and bounds better than all of those carriers. Even working as a cellphone salesman I hate calling those other carriers. Sprint/Nextel pissed me off so bad that I was more than willing to pay the ETF on my 3 lines and switch to Verizon.

Now, Verizon's store CS is something else. I have never had a good experience in a Verizon store. I have always dealt with online CS or over the phone. I even started my VZW account over the phone lol.

So I can agree on the crappy in-store CS by VZW. But their phone and online service makes up for all that.
    09-08-10 02:05 PM
    That's funny because I went into a VZW store, as a Sprint subscriber, to see I could buy their rubber Tour battery cover. Sprint's is slippery plastic. They actually unboxed one for me so I could try the cover on my own phone. They prodded me a little and kidded around about me being on Sprint, but they were friendly and more helpful than I anticipated. I thought they'd have the door in stock as an accessory - I had no expectation that they'd actually unbox a new phone for such a trivial reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 02:10 PM
    That's funny because I went into a VZW store, as a Sprint subscriber, to see I could buy their rubber Tour battery cover. Sprint's is slippery plastic. They actually unboxed one for me so I could try the cover on my own phone. They prodded me a little and kidded around about me being on Sprint, but they were friendly and more helpful than I anticipated. I thought they'd have the door in stock as an accessory - I had no expectation that they'd actually unbox a new phone for such a trivial reason.

Ok, but like EnergyPlus said, you have to go on multiple experiences, not just one. I have been with VZW for 5 years and have NEVER had a good CS experience in one of them.

I can call CS right now and ask them a question. They will answer it and any other questions that might come up. Try that in a store.

Like I said their phone and online CS makes me forget how crappy their in-store CS is.

Also I think truthfully all carrier in-store CS needs work.
    09-08-10 02:28 PM
    I've been with VZW for 19 years and have had mostly positive experiences. I had one time that I called and talked to a completely clueless CSR and one time I had to fight with them over a massive billing error. Other than that it has been fairly smooth sailing and I appreciate the good and reliable coverage. I hardly ever go to their stores though.

09-08-10 02:28 PM
    lol this thread is so backwards.

Verizon has bad customer service? Why what happened? Did you go over your minutes or break your phone and they wont fix YOUR problem for you? Verizon has one of the best customer service ratings in the industry, Sprint as one of the worst.

People always complain about customer service when its a problem that they are responsible for and because someone wont bail them out they want to blast the company.
    Verizon does have great customer service. When I had to call about my previous phones they sent me through all the tiers of support then transferred me to tech support. After I got off the phone, the original rep who helped me called me back to make sure my problem was resolved. That is great customer service.

The worst is AT&T. I know because I was with them for almost two years. If I were given the new BB Torch, I'd have to sell it. I would never go back to AT&T.
    09-08-10 02:57 PM
    Ok, but like EnergyPlus said, you have to go on multiple experiences, not just one. I have been with VZW for 5 years and have NEVER had a good CS experience in one of them.

I can call CS right now and ask them a question. They will answer it and any other questions that might come up. Try that in a store.

Like I said their phone and online CS makes me forget how crappy their in-store CS is.

i can say the same with AT&T..
    the phone support and the phone customer service reps are more knowledgable than the in store reps..
    09-08-10 03:00 PM

Well, I'm not going to hit up a bunch of Verizon stores just to see how their staff behaves. I only offered my story as an anecdote to the statement that they never had good experience in store.

The few times I've been to Sprint stores, they were good to me as well. I won't go visiting a bunch of different Sprint stores looking for bad apples either.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 09-08-10 at 03:16 PM.
    09-08-10 03:13 PM
    i can say the same with AT&T..
    the phone support and the phone customer service reps are more knowledgable than the in store reps..
    I've never had AT&T, so I can't speak on their CS lol
    09-08-10 03:22 PM
    Well, I'm not going to hit up a bunch of Verizon stores just to see how their staff behaves. I only offered my story as an anecdote to the statement that they never had good experience in store.

The few times I've been to Sprint stores, they were good to me as well. I won't go visiting a bunch of different Sprint stores looking for bad apples either.
    Well neither do I. But when I have been in them it has all been bad. I would prefer not to go in them if I can help it. But if I'm checking out a phone before ordering it online I would like to get a hands on approach before I do so I can make the right choice for me.

Plus on top of that everybody is gonna have a different experience with everything in life.
    Last edited by Itzdatdude; 09-08-10 at 03:33 PM.
    09-08-10 03:27 PM
    I'd prefer to not go in any of them too, but it's because I'm lazy. Has nothing to do with CS.

When I take a gander at the Androids, it'll be at Best Buy since they do instant rebates. I plan to look 'em over, choose one, and buy it right then.
    09-08-10 03:40 PM
    I'd prefer to not go in any of them too, but it's because I'm lazy. Has nothing to do with CS.

When I take a gander at the Androids, it'll be at Best Buy since they do instant rebates. I plan to look 'em over, choose one, and buy it right then.
    If BestBuys had working models I would definitely go there too.
    09-08-10 04:29 PM
    I don't think Sprint customer care is better than Verizon's. Prior to selling just Verizon, I worked for a multi carrier company. We had Verizon, TMobile and Sprint. I can't tell you how many times I had more irritated customers than I did satisfied ones and let me tell you, they ported over to Verizon more. I also don't understand how Sprint charges an upgrade fee and their devices seem to be more expensive.

But you have to decided on what is going to meet your needs. Your son is much more important, BUT also take into consideration, the coverage. Verizon has the best coverage . And I have never had an issue with their customer service. Call the 800 number, they are very helpful. But I have a great store I deal with too. Not all of them are like that. There are good reps with every company and there are bad reps. If someone isn't helping you, you have the right to speak to someone else. Don't let them intimidate you. There are those who really do care and try to help their customers.
    I will put you and your family in my prayers. I am a 23 yr breast cancer survivor. But a child with cancer, that is so heart breaking. No child should ever be sick.
    Your local American Cancer Society has great support groups too. Call them.
    God Bless you.
    09-08-10 05:15 PM
    I don't think Sprint customer care is better than Verizon's. Prior to selling just Verizon, I worked for a multi carrier company. We had Verizon, TMobile and Sprint. I can't tell you how many times I had more irritated customers than I did satisfied ones and let me tell you, they ported over to Verizon more. I also don't understand how Sprint charges an upgrade fee and their devices seem to be more expensive.

But you have to decided on what is going to meet your needs. Your son is much more important, BUT also take into consideration, the coverage. Verizon has the best coverage . And I have never had an issue with their customer service. Call the 800 number, they are very helpful. But I have a great store I deal with too. Not all of them are like that. There are good reps with every company and there are bad reps. If someone isn't helping you, you have the right to speak to someone else. Don't let them intimidate you. There are those who really do care and try to help their customers.
    I will put you and your family in my prayers. I am a 23 yr breast cancer survivor. But a child with cancer, that is so heart breaking. No child should ever be sick.
    Your local American Cancer Society has great support groups too. Call them.
    God Bless you.
    Congratulations on winning your fight with cancer.

And like you said it is heartbreaking when you hear about or see a sick child.
    09-08-10 05:47 PM
    I am tired of people posting stuff~} like this. Go be gone and when you are tired of whom ever you go with let us know you are back so we cam pound you to dust!!!!!!!!

09-08-10 08:12 PM
    i recently switched from sprint to VZW and ive never looked back i mean sprint was great and i loved my tour when i ahd them...i liked their CS they did it the way i liked it when ever i had a problem i would call someone who barley speaks english answers and asks what he can do i tell him...7 to 10 min of silence then they tell me ok Mr. Blah it is all taken care of then they hang up on me i thought that was ok i dont wanna talk to these people as it is but i know some woulndt apriciate that but i love VZW because i can use my phone now instead of no signal
    09-08-10 11:12 PM
    Clever analogy, but I really can't agree with the "seen the light" reference. As a long time VZW customer and BB user, I don't think I'm failing to see "the light" because I choose to stay with both. I am the first to read impartial reviews of the carriers and the devices while also perusing forums for thoughts and performance of the various platform and devices. Yes, I know, there are bigger, faster, better, more hip devices out there, but because I have not yet chosen to switch to one, doesn't mean I'm failing to see the light. I choose to stay right where I am because I think VZW is the best carrier, even if a bit more expensive (remember, cost is a very subjective thing) and BB offers me the best of what I want.

I don't think there's a way to measure it, but I can't help but wonder what % of Android users are there simply because it's the newest/coolest OS? I think there are a fair percentage and if something newer comes along that offers similar or better features, they'll switch again.

Look, I really like the BB but I would not ever, EVER stay simply out of "loyalty!"

I do agree on the Sprint thing though. If the area you spend more than 85% of your time in an area where Sprint works well, it might be nuts to not at least check it out if for no other reason than pricing. On the other hand, if price is not quite as sensitive an issue, and having the highest rated customer service and coverage is what you want, the handwriting is on the wall!

To some degree, I think you're describing the life of BlackBerry users!

Some long time BB users have seen the "light" and are trying out Android and the "Toy". Others are on the fence, but having a hard time leaving BlackBerry. Those who have gone to Android, swear it's way better than BlackBerry. So, this Sprint vs. Verizon battle is much like BlackBerry vs. Android. In the end, it depends on what works best for you.
    09-08-10 11:38 PM
    From my experience, Verizon has decent customer service. Recently, before I swtiched to AT&T, I was getting different stories from different reps. I would call in for information and be told one thing...when I would call in another day, I would be told something else...and on and on. There were several misinformed reps.

But I think that's true to any carrier.

I haven't had a need to call in to AT&T yet, but from past dealings with them, they have always been on the same page.

Before you go burning about AT&T, we are talking about CS not coverage.
    09-09-10 03:25 PM
    That is an important point, singling out the CS and nothing else. It's been many years since I was with AT&T so I don't know what's happening today. I do know that I read a lot of positive comments about Sprint's CS. I have also had the pleasure of actually working with hundreds of T-Mo reps on several occasions and to this day, I remain very impressed with their positivity and can-do attitude. How that translates into actual experience, I cannot say.

I'm sure all carriers have their pluses and minuses in the rep dept. I have sometimes wondered just what it is like to be a rep. You're always going through various training classes and are provided with the "company line" yet if any of them do even a little bit of research on their own, they're likely to find out that either what the company says may not always be true or, there is information out there that is not yet being provided through corporate channels. I'm sure that they all have, to some degree, the right hand/left hand issue going on and of course, there is always the individual personality issue with some reps simply not caring and others trying to do their very best.

Mark, I'm sending you a private message.

From my experience, Verizon has decent customer service. Recently, before I swtiched to AT&T, I was getting different stories from different reps. I would call in for information and be told one thing...when I would call in another day, I would be told something else...and on and on. There were several misinformed reps.

But I think that's true to any carrier.

I haven't had a need to call in to AT&T yet, but from past dealings with them, they have always been on the same page.

Before you go burning about AT&T, we are talking about CS not coverage.
    09-09-10 06:24 PM
    You do have a valid argument there. I have heard horror stories about people just getting completely ignored or a sales rep trying to belittle them because they don't want to go with the latest, greatest and most expensive. There are plenty reps who are just there to make their money and go home. They have no concern for anyone as a person. They see someone come in and they see $$$. It's a bad thing, but thats the world we live in. I could personally could care less about what you want, but it's more what people need/can handle. I can completely understand people wanting to get down to a price plan that fits their needs and if it is cheaper, then so be it.
    When I was with Verizon I found their customer service to be outstanding. I can't say the same for the local store employees. But I find it to be the same way for AT&T. The customer service by phone has been comparable so far. Local corporate store?...not the case. I will drive 25 miles into the country just to avoid the little snots that work at the store right around the corner. And this is coming from a person who have never once returned or complained about anything. They seem to in general just hate mankind.
    09-09-10 07:02 PM
    Interesting that there seems to be so many similar stories about store employees. I wonder if this isn't "commission driven" meaning, "unless you're gonna make me the max commission, I really don't wanna talk to you" or something along those lines.
    09-09-10 07:10 PM
    Interesting that there seems to be so many similar stories about store employees. I wonder if this isn't "commission driven" meaning, "unless you're gonna make me the max commission, I really don't wanna talk to you" or something along those lines.
    It does seem to be a majority concern...
    09-10-10 02:09 AM
    Been with sprint 11yrs and would not switch to verizon.Not paying the high prices of verizon and at&t. Besides sprint uses verizon towers and my coverage is pretty good .I get coverage on my berry at work when my friends who have verizon and at&t doesn't. Go with the now network Sprint is a good choice plus gonna save u money
    09-10-10 06:42 AM
    Don't blast me for being mad at a VZW, tell me why it is worth the effort to keep paying them higher prices for crap I don't need.
    Why do we need to tell you to stay? Just leave if you don't like the customer service or the prices. Two valid reasons for you to leave.
    09-10-10 07:39 AM
    Been with sprint 11yrs and would not switch to verizon.Not paying the high prices of verizon and at&t. Besides sprint uses verizon towers and my coverage is pretty good .I get coverage on my berry at work when my friends who have verizon and at&t doesn't. Go with the now network Sprint is a good choice plus gonna save u money
    Umm.....something doesn't sound right. If Sprint uses Verizon towers how can you get service and your friends with Verizon can't?

Just seems funny to me.
    09-10-10 08:46 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD