09-11-10 12:43 AM
58 123
tools
    Finally decided that the ****-poor customer service and high prices are not worth the effort.

So, that being said, why should I stay with Verizon over Sprint??? Maybe one of the VZW reps can tell me why all the VZW crap is worth it.
    09-08-10 09:21 AM
    Oh go you!! If I could leave verizon, I would do it in a heart beat. Sprint's coverage isn't as wide, get what you pay for, but they have great customer service and they are a lot cheaper then verizon. Do the switch!
    09-08-10 09:55 AM
    lol this thread is so backwards.

Verizon has bad customer service? Why what happened? Did you go over your minutes or break your phone and they wont fix YOUR problem for you? Verizon has one of the best customer service ratings in the industry, Sprint as one of the worst.

People always complain about customer service when its a problem that they are responsible for and because someone wont bail them out they want to blast the company.
    09-08-10 10:02 AM
    No, I have never had a problem with someone from verizon.... it is just when I pick up the phone to call someone, I want to get someone who knows something and that is not the case with verizon. You have to get transferred 5 times before you get someone that knows something. Never had that problem with my companies sprint, they know something.
    09-08-10 10:08 AM
    WOW.....for real.....transfered 5 different times?

I have never called customer service and been transfered. NEVER.

They have gone above and beyond for me every time I have called. So Idk what to tell you. But if you wanna go than just go.

Don't **** around with it.......just go if it is that major.
    09-08-10 10:24 AM
    lol this thread is so backwards.

Verizon has bad customer service? Why what happened? Did you go over your minutes or break your phone and they wont fix YOUR problem for you? Verizon has one of the best customer service ratings in the industry, Sprint as one of the worst.

People always complain about customer service when its a problem that they are responsible for and because someone wont bail them out they want to blast the company.
    Well their BEST CS rating seems to not apply to their stores. My wife and I were treated like **** by the sales rep and the store manager last night. We are trying reduce our debt-load and chose a 700 min family plan with no Blackberry over the 1400 min family plan with BB.

So, I guess you are right, I am at fault because I want to keep some of my hard earned money in my household to help take care of my 3 year old son with cancer. I should be willing to pay VZW more money than I need to because the sales rep needs her commission and the store manager wants more sales.

Don't blast me for being mad at a VZW, tell me why it is worth the effort to keep paying them higher prices for crap I don't need.
    09-08-10 10:34 AM
    You do have a valid argument there. I have heard horror stories about people just getting completely ignored or a sales rep trying to belittle them because they don't want to go with the latest, greatest and most expensive. There are plenty reps who are just there to make their money and go home. They have no concern for anyone as a person. They see someone come in and they see $$$. It's a bad thing, but thats the world we live in. I could personally could care less about what you want, but it's more what people need/can handle. I can completely understand people wanting to get down to a price plan that fits their needs and if it is cheaper, then so be it.
    09-08-10 10:53 AM
    I got labeled a troll for the first time on these forums with an epic battle in the Sprint forums over which carrier was better, Sprint or Verizon. I lost the battle because the Sprinters were able to compete on one issue I couldn't - price. Well, that and the fact, that I know Verizon is better but just can't prove it. But being that you want to leave Verizon and go to Sprint and you need a few reasons to ease your mind, let me share with you a few facts that I threw at those Sprinters.

Sprint users defended their carrier very well. As they should. They are on the verge of going out of business! They need to defend it!

45 million more subscribers use Verizon over Sprint. The difference of ATT users over Sprint may even be more than that. Sprint is the #3 Carrier in the US. If you're comparable to Verizon and much cheaper, why are you #3?

As of 1043 9/8/10 with 15m delay... Sprint is trading at $4.43 a share versus Verizon at $30.45 a share (1046). ATT at $26.90 a share (1045). Sprint is trading at less than 15% of Verizon and 16.5% of ATT. RIM (BlackBerry), who is considered to be losing the battle to Google (Android), is trading at $46.70 (1050) versus Google at $469.46 (1051). RIM is trading at less than 10% of Google. If Sprint were a great carrier, like those Sprinters in the Sprint forum wanted me to believe, that their carrier is comparable to Verizon, maybe even better than Verizon, for a much lower price than Verizon... then why are the financial numbers so dramatically different?

Some online reports I read said it could be lack of phone selection. You will get a better selection of phones on Verizon than you will Sprint. One report said that when Sprint came out with the Evo, it stopped the mass exodus. They only lost 75,000 subscribers in Q1 of 2010, instead of 670,000 they lost in same period last year. If you are so good, comparable to Verizon but much cheaper, why did you lose 75,000 subscribers this year in the first 3 months?! Something is wrong there, something that the Sprint users don't want to tell Verizon users that are on the fence. Because if we all jump, Sprint will make up that shortfall. Sprint stock price will jump back to a healthy range. Sprint will no longer be #3.

I tried to argue coverage, but got nowhere on that factor with the Sprint people. Yet, it was hilarious, how I kept reading CB threads and posts everyday of Sprint users complaining about coverage. Yet, the phone worked where the outspoken Sprinters lived, so it's comparable to Verizon, right?

Well, I am not convinced that Sprint is better than Verizon, or even comparable. Cheaper, oh yeah, but not better or equal. But for how long will Sprint be cheaper? Verizon is testing a Any Mobile plan that can wipe out that price differential. I figured it out that I am paying about $30 a month more for Verizon. I am only paying $30 more because I use the navigation service, because Sprint gets free navigation. $30 a month more to have a phone I know works where I need it to. Haven't tested Sprint, so I don't know. Wow, what good free navigation does you if you happen to be in dead zone on Sprint when you're lost!

$30 a month more to have a diverse selection of Android and BlackBerry smartphones. That epic thread got started in that Sprint forum because the OP wanted a phone that only Verizon had. That's the reason to switch carriers. If Sprint got the CDMA exclusive on the Torch, and there's that argument that they are close enough to the quality of Verizon that the difference is barely noticeable, that's a good reason to jump. But price, no. Because what if Verizon comes out with a cheaper plan to match Sprint. Will you want to be on Sprint then? If you say yes, then you have a reason to jump.

Of course, on that epic thread, I had to enter into the equation, a matter that affects a lot of users, the issue of security deposits. Unfortunately, they apply to me. So for me, I have to weigh the concept of getting a $50 discount towards a variety of awesome Android and potentially cool BB smartphones versus coming up with $250-$750 plus the promo price of the phone just to save $30 a month, $20 if I drop VZ Navigator? Awww, i don't think so. But maybe your situation is different.
    09-08-10 11:11 AM
    Try calling Verizon, the folks are the phone banks are generally MUCH more helpful with things like this! 1-800-922-0204.
    09-08-10 11:14 AM
    Well their BEST CS rating seems to not apply to their stores. My wife and I were treated like **** by the sales rep and the store manager last night. We are trying reduce our debt-load and chose a 700 min family plan with no Blackberry over the 1400 min family plan with BB.

So, I guess you are right, I am at fault because I want to keep some of my hard earned money in my household to help take care of my 3 year old son with cancer. I should be willing to pay VZW more money than I need to because the sales rep needs her commission and the store manager wants more sales.

Don't blast me for being mad at a VZW, tell me why it is worth the effort to keep paying them higher prices for crap I don't need.
    Honestly, if you want to leave do it. If you need to save money, even if thats the only reason, then go, why would you ask? Your priorities need to be with your son and not worrying about what others opinions are about your carrier or if you should switch or not. Come on.
    09-08-10 11:19 AM
    Honestly, if you want to leave do it. If you need to save money, even if thats the only reason, then go, why would you ask? Your priorities need to be with your son and not worrying about what others opinions are about your carrier or if you should switch or not. Come on.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

I mean I feel sorry for his son, but why does he need someone to convince him to stay with Verizon.
    09-08-10 11:37 AM
    Sorry, I tried to take the easy way out. I figured instead of wasting my time researching different companies I might get a quick answer here.

No problem, I'll just take some time tonight after the kids go to sleep and look into every company to see what will work.

Points for best answer so far go to trjnberry

Thanks anyway everyone
    09-08-10 11:58 AM
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

I mean I feel sorry for his son, but why does he need someone to convince him to stay with Verizon.
    You're so right, what was I thinking!

Unless the cancer is incurable, the kid can recover and live a normal life. Unfortunately, my first dog wasn't so lucky. She had stage 4 Canine Lymphoma when we caught it and while we spent major $$ to try to save her, we lost her after 11 months. My cousin just had major surgery to help eradicate his Lung Cancer. Time will tell if he beats it. So, I can appreciate the big picture. But when you are paying for cancer treatment, the money you're going to save on Sprint over Verizon, isn't going to pay for a doctor's visit let alone any major treatment.
    09-08-10 12:08 PM
    Go with Sprint. Identical coverage to Verizon (although Sprint has 4G and Verizon doesn't), better pricing, unlimited data plans, unlimited calling to any cellphone and better customer service.
    09-08-10 12:10 PM

absolutely.
    09-08-10 12:30 PM
    I researched carriers for about a month before concluding that Sprint is the smartest option for me.

It may not be the same for you, especially in the Midwest where Sprint coverage is extremely sparse.

It's not a stock value thing or a customer service thing. It's not an issue of subscriber quantities, churn rate, or even device offerings. It's 100% about the balance between coverage and price. Sprint nails it in my area, and in most areas I'm likely to be as I live my normal, everyday, not-so-important life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 12:42 PM
    Gotta love these arguments. I doubt ANYBODY will change their mind about a particular carrier based on anything they read here! Still, people post their views even though it's like talking to the wall (and I'm guilty of it as well).

I've been a VZW customer for many, many years (over 10) and at this stage, have NO plans to change. I've always, always been treated well, both in terms of billing as well as tech support on the phone. My in-store experience has had some mixed results with some reps being stellar and others being mediocre. I suspect the same could be said for any carrier's stores, you get a mix of good reps and not-so-good ones. Rather than measure with a single experience you need to measure based on a multi-point, overall experience.

My tech support on the phone has been, for the most part, simply stellar, but certainly, I've had a few nimrods that seemed pretty clueless. When that happens, you can choose to make an excuse ("oh, someone's at the door, gotta scoot, I'll call back") and then call back to get a different rep, or, ask to have your issue elevated to a Tier 2 rep. On a very few occasions, after the Tier 2 rep wasn't able to resolve my issue, I was transferred to a RIM tech who usually was able to easily fix the problem or answer my question.

Even though more expensive, I stick with VZW because they are the most reliable and consistent. I have too many dropped calls from my Sprint and AT&T (ESPECIALLY AT&T) friends and I hear too many stories from them about not having a signal. Most recently, my friends went on a month long vacation (the joys of being retired) last month and for the duration of their trip, they had to find a Starbucks every day to check in for emails and phone messages (they're on AT&T). They asked around and were told "Oh yeah, you gotta have Verizon here..." That says it all. Sprint does NOT have "identical coverage to VZW" and there's a reason why VZW has the highest customer satisfaction rating from Consumer Reports. The latest survey did find a slight increase amongst Sprint users but they still scored a significantly lower score than VZW.
    09-08-10 12:48 PM
    regarding Sprint pricing..
    don't they have like additional $10 for using the 4G?
    on paper, there everything plan is so tempting.. ( before taxes, etc)
    09-08-10 12:48 PM
    Yes unfortunately they're adding $10 for 4G. I can kind of understand it though, as 4G would be a significant increase in data traffic.

And it's absolutely true that Sprint does not have the same coverage as Verizon. Sprint roams on Verizon where necessary but it's often 2G and if you roam too much, Sprint will invite you to leave.

09-08-10 12:54 PM
    Oh and at a friend's house I do have to roam. It's Verizon country up there and I have no choice. It's not really my primary area though, and we're not really messing around on our phones when I go visit. If I spent a lot more time there than I do and/or I needed 3G coverage, Sprint's logo would not be on my phone.

09-08-10 12:56 PM
    I researched carriers for about a month before concluding that Sprint is the smartest option for me.

It may not be the same for you, especially in the Midwest where Sprint coverage is extremely sparse.

It's not a stock value thing or a customer service thing. It's not an issue of subscriber quantities, churn rate, or even device offerings. It's 100% about the balance between coverage and price. Sprint nails it in my area, and in most areas I'm likely to be as I live my normal, everyday, not-so-important life.

Yep, it's not about stock or customer service or any of that other jazz that we forums debaters use for our arguments. There are 3 primary reasons why people choose their carrier:
    1. Family and/or Closest Friends
    2. Phone Selection
    3. Company Provided Phone / Company discount

What people often forget is that your call is free when you call another subscriber on your network. So, if you family and closest friends, your mostly frequently called or time consuming calls, are on your network, they are free. People like to be on carriers that their family and friends use.

In today's evolving smartphone industry, many people are choosing their carrier not because of coverage or that other jazz, but because it has a phone they want that their current carrier doesn't have. They'll put with the other shortcomings to get their desired phone.

Some companies provide phones for their employees, others give a significant discount. Some users are on a carrier because the corporate discount only applied to a given carrier or their company provided phone only works on a given carrier.

The stock prices, the subscriber totals, and even pricing to some extent, is just fuel for debate. Unless price is your top priority, phone selection will likely trump all the other factors, including coverage. Other carriers have improved enough that if you live in any major metropolitan area, there's good chance you got adequate coverage on any major carrier. I am just a stickler for coverage because I switched from my last carrier because of coverage, but there I was, willing to switch back to that same lousy coverage to get the phone I wanted.
    09-08-10 01:28 PM
    Absolutely. I know people who hated Sprint and swapped for Verizon. Some of them regret it, others are tickled. I also know people who hated Verizon (their prices more than anything else) so they switched to Sprint. Some of them love it, others think it was a mistake.

I also know people who absolutely refuse to change carriers because they're set in their ways...there's no convincing them to save money while not really losing anything else and then conversely some hate what they have but absolutely will not spend more dough to resolve those issues.

09-08-10 01:41 PM
    Absolutely. I know people who hated Sprint and swapped for Verizon. Some of them regret it, others are tickled. I also know people who hated Verizon (their prices more than anything else) so they switched to Sprint. Some of them love it, others think it was a mistake.

I also know people who absolutely refuse to change carriers because they're set in their ways...there's no convincing them to save money while not really losing anything else and then conversely some hate what they have but absolutely will not spend more dough to resolve those issues.

To some degree, I think you're describing the life of BlackBerry users!

Some long time BB users have seen the "light" and are trying out Android and the "Toy". Others are on the fence, but having a hard time leaving BlackBerry. Those who have gone to Android, swear it's way better than BlackBerry. So, this Sprint vs. Verizon battle is much like BlackBerry vs. Android. In the end, it depends on what works best for you.
    09-08-10 01:59 PM
    Go with Sprint. Identical coverage to Verizon (although Sprint has 4G and Verizon doesn't), better pricing, unlimited data plans, unlimited calling to any cellphone and better customer service.
    Welcome to the Verizon Forums, Koba!
    09-08-10 02:00 PM
    Pretty much. I'm one of those who's still on a BlackBerry but seriously considering Android. I will have one, it's only a matter of when, and whether it's a supplemental second line or a complete replacement. I haven't figured what route is best yet. In the meantime, like RIM's developers I sit on my bum not moving in either direction.

09-08-10 02:03 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD