Can any of you guys recommend a simple non-smartphone for parents? I don't want to get them a smartphone because they don't know how to use the Internet on the phone and it'll be a waste of a "mandatory" data plan.

Thanks!
    09-15-10 06:08 PM
    Are you willing to pay for a 9.99 data plan or do they want simple feature phones? Do they text? What style of phone do they like (flip, slider, candybar)? Does it need big keys, old people like that....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 06:18 PM
    Are you willing to pay for a 9.99 data plan or do they want simple feature phones? Do they text? What style of phone do they like (flip, slider, candybar)? Does it need big keys, old people like that....

I'm not really willing to pay for a 9.99 data plan because they will never use it. They don't know how to text, they don't know how to take a picture, they barely can figure out the phone book. They just memorized the numbers (mine and relatives) they need and dial it in each time, lol.

I don't think they care about style. They don't need big keys but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

But yeah, just a simple phone. Of course, I'm trying to find the "best" (or have some pointers) simple phone since I'm looking to upgrade their old one.
    09-15-10 06:20 PM
    Samsung Intensity 2. Solid little phone, full qwerty keyboard and its BOGO at 49.99
    09-15-10 07:19 PM
    There's a few then. There's the Salute, which is decent. The Haven. The intensity 2 has a slide out keyboard. Go here to view Set Your Location

09-15-10 07:24 PM
    You may also want to take a look at the LG Accolade or for bigger buttons, the Samsung Convoy.
    09-15-10 07:55 PM
    cool, thanks, i'll check those out!
    09-15-10 07:56 PM
    I just got my 14 YO the LG Env Touch for .01 off Amazon and free shipping. We have the family plan with unlimted texting which I would highly suggest if they are teens other wise you'll slit your wrists when the bill comes in. Mine hardly uses the cell talk time maybe 10-15 minutes a month. I've never had to say anything to her about usage other then you go over the talk time and you'll have two cans a huge *** string to contend with. She's had the access to a cell phone now for 4 years. The other thing I would suggest is insurance unless you're willing to bone up street prices for a phone when the phone gets trashed or stolen to replace it. Or you could go the way of a pre paid phone and watch the usage and go from there. Most of my childs friends have prepaid phones as they have gone over the minutes or texting allowance. If the users are phone challanged such as your parents like mine are big time I would suggest prepaid.
    09-17-10 02:38 PM
    You may also want to take a look at the LG Accolade or for bigger buttons, the Samsung Convoy.
    I second the LG Accolade. I was in the same situation as the OP a couple months ago with my dad. The big buttons and easy to use software is perfect.
    09-17-10 02:51 PM
    I third the Accolade. I got my mother in law the samsung convey and its a great basic phone. On top of that its a rugged flip phone.

09-17-10 07:39 PM
    I'm not really willing to pay for a 9.99 data plan because they will never use it. They don't know how to text, they don't know how to take a picture, they barely can figure out the phone book. They just memorized the numbers (mine and relatives) they need and dial it in each time, lol.

I don't think they care about style. They don't need big keys but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

But yeah, just a simple phone. Of course, I'm trying to find the "best" (or have some pointers) simple phone since I'm looking to upgrade their old one.
    Haha, I'm in the same boat as you. My mom and grandma are now eligible for upgrades, but when I asked them what phone they wanted, they were like,"What? A new phone?? I just got used to this one finally"
    09-21-10 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD