We moved to an area that has very poor cell coverage so I called up verizon to complain. Nothing they can do about it, kind of a Burmuda Triangle I guess. Many complaints on file for this area. They agreed to let us out of our contract with no early termination fee. Question is now I have a relatively new blackberry storm and a second line with a newer phone as well. Is it possible to just sell these phones on ebay... do I need to call in and have them unlocked before I cancel my service? or can someone on Ebay buy it and use as is if they have verizon service. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    05-18-11 03:29 PM
    You don't NEED to have them unlocked for someone else to use them on Verizon as long as they are released from your account.

Unlocking them might allow you to sell them to a larger audience (ie GSM customers). Note you didn't say what the other phone is, but unless it is a "world phone" like the Storm is then that phone unlikely cannot be unlocked.

Note that if the devices are "relatively new", you might not be eligible for Verizon to give you the unlock code for free. You might need to purchase a code from one of the unlocking vendors if you want them to be unlocked.
    05-18-11 06:04 PM
    There is a site that gives your free unlock code. I just used it on my Bold. Look in the unlocking section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 06:48 PM
    Motorcycle Mama - When you say released from my account. Would that be accomplished when my account is cancelled with verizon or is that something I would need to request before I cancel?
    05-19-11 05:27 AM
    Once you cancel your account, the devices will be released at the end of the billing cycle.
    05-19-11 05:48 AM
    send me a email at aspen826@yahoo.com and if you give me a good enough deal on it I'd seriously consider buying it from you as my Tour is dieing and no new BBerry in sight from VZW.
    05-21-11 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD