Before leaving the US, I upgraded my data package to Global. I had to speak with Tech support to get my SIM card activated. I didn't understand that...I assumed the SIM card would have to be activated at purchase to even use the phone.

Since crossing the border along Lake Superior area, I have had absolutely NO service. I am staying in Thunder Bay, Ontario and have traveled around the town and outside, in several directions, within about a 15-20 mile radius.

I'm told that Rogers is the provider for this area and I believe I saw that somewhere in my phone when I was searching through options to try to figure this out.

This is what I currently see in my phone...

In Manage Connections the following is "checked"....
    Mobile Network Roaming (roaming in the green)

When I click into Services Status I see the following...
    Mobile Voice
    Connection: Mobile Network
    Blackberry Internet Service (and Enterprise Servicer)
    Connection: not connected
    Mobile Network
    1x
    Mobile Network Provider
    Roaming
    Wi-Fi Network
    Active Profile: not Connected
    SSID: not connected
    Type: not connected
    Bluetooth
    Off

When I click Mobile Network Options...
    Data Services On
    While Roaming On
    Mobile Network: Roaming
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology: Global

At the moment, I am not in a good location (basement apartment of a house) but as I said, I am not getting service anywhere.

Thanks for any help with this!
    03-15-10 03:18 PM
    You don't need a SIM card for Canada. Do you have the data plan? You're best bet is to call Global services at 9085594899 see if they can help you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BelleFine likes this.
    03-15-10 11:31 PM
    I have no phone :-(
    03-16-10 10:54 AM
    No phone...no where? Everyone has a phone...
    Anyways, its hard to say what could be going on without looking at your account, Provisioning is a big part of international service working.
    03-16-10 12:58 PM
    Since my original post, I have been able to get a connection using WiFi. I can make phone calls and use Blackberry Messenger. I got some emails, when I first connected to WiFi but now I can't get any. I still cannot connect at all without WiFi.

I called global support...they checked setting, told me to take out battery and wait 15 minutes. Still the same...only phone and BB messenger work...WiFi only. Tech said to call back from another phone, which I don't have.

The error message I get when I try to send a text is,,
    SMS error 87, Message ID # (varies); Service denied.

Once I got this message but I never got it again..
    Mobile equipment status failed

When in Canada in the past, I never had problems using my ENVY .. texts and phone only, of course.
    03-16-10 01:30 PM
    Since my original post, I have been able to get a connection using WiFi. I can make phone calls and use Blackberry Messenger. I got some emails, when I first connected to WiFi but now I can't get any. I still cannot connect at all without WiFi.

I called global support...they checked setting, told me to take out battery and wait 15 minutes. Still the same...only phone and BB messenger work...WiFi only. Tech said to call back from another phone, which I don't have.

The error message I get when I try to send a text is,,
    SMS error 87, Message ID # (varies); Service denied.

Once I got this message but I never got it again..
    Mobile equipment status failed

When in Canada in the past, I never had problems using my ENVY .. texts and phone only, of course.
    Is there a hotel phone or pay phone that they can call, they will call you on their dime to troubleshoot the issue. But all your settings look good from your original post. And with out looking at the account, its hard to say what could be the issue. Try taking it off "Global" and set it to 1XEV...reset the phone and try again.
    If you do manage to get on another phone, call them back and have them help you or file a ticket.
    BelleFine likes this.
    03-16-10 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD