I learned the hard way when I purchased the Storm 9530 when it first came out. The time came when OS 5 was released, and with the expectation of fixing the sluggishness and freezing (which it did), only it made writing SMS messages impossible, and freezing the phone completely. Calls to Verizon revealed that my hardware version of the device was one of the early ones, which had compatibility issues with the OS 5 version.

Asking why can't they just send me a device with a newer hardware version, they told me they can't since I'm 3 weeks past my 1 yr Mfg warranty. So I'm stuck with my 4.x software, and the phone until I will probably lean towards the Tour 2/Bold...but not without waiting a few weeks. I don't want to be stuck with an "early" hardware version that will prevent me from having software updates correct issues. Maybe it will hold me over long enough until the rumored "storm 3" comes out

It's a shame such a great concept wasn't thoroughly researched and innovative, but then again I do not have any gripes about the reliablity of e-mail communication/data reliablity...which is what I do believe the Blackberry is all about. I can say on the business end of things, it has been satisfactory. The consumer side of usage "needs improvement".
    05-18-10 11:03 PM
    whooooo cares!!!!
    Last edited by supermario28; 05-19-10 at 05:07 AM.
    05-19-10 04:01 AM
    I learned the hard way when I purchased the Storm 9530 when it first came out. The time came when OS 5 was released, and with the expectation of fixing the sluggishness and freezing (which it did), only it made writing SMS messages impossible, and freezing the phone completely. Calls to Verizon revealed that my hardware version of the device was one of the early ones, which had compatibility issues with the OS 5 version.
    This is a confirmed issue? I got the Storm the day it came out and am running the official 5.0 OS and am having none of the issues you mentioned (writing SMS impossible, freezing the phone completely).
    05-19-10 07:26 AM
    My wife has an early S1 and has no such issues.
    I had one of the very first S1 and ran just about every leak there was with no issue.

Also if you have TEC (Total Equipment Coverage) it extends the factory warranty tto two years.
    05-19-10 11:23 AM
    The 9530 was RIM's first touchscreen device, of course it was going to be buggy. You won't have that kind of problem with the Bold 9650, they have the standard trackpad/keyboard phones down solid. 5.0 was buggy, you're right, A YEAR AGO. But hey if you want to wait, that's cool, you're just giving others a chance to enjoy it first.
    05-19-10 11:44 AM
    The 9530 was RIM's first touchscreen device, of course it was going to be buggy. You won't have that kind of problem with the Bold 9650, they have the standard trackpad/keyboard phones down solid. 5.0 was buggy, you're right, A YEAR AGO. But hey if you want to wait, that's cool, you're just giving others a chance to enjoy it first.
    ...and when was the last time RIM introduced a new product that did not have it's share of issues?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 01:40 PM
    ...and when was the last time RIM introduced a new product that did not have it's share of issues?

None that compared to the Storm. (granted I'm not familar with devices earlier than the curve and 8800 series... so I can't speak for anything older)
    05-19-10 02:50 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about the Bold 9650 - it's just an updated Tour really. And with the Trackpad, there goes the only real issue with the Tour.

I have an S2, and it is a great phone. Sorry to hear of your problems with the S1.
    05-19-10 03:07 PM
    I agree the 9650 is a tour with more memory and a trakpad. Glad to see the trackball gone.
    05-19-10 04:34 PM
    RIMM does not have a proven track record in fixing software. Why are you looking back to BB? Android is the way to go now on VZW.

05-22-10 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD