05-29-09 12:25 AM
65 123
tools
    just to bring another point up, none of the carriers guarantee inter-carrier sms/mms....each has their own message relay center, and they are in constant communication and fluctuation for transferring any data back and forth. every so often people on att or sprint can't sms vzw, or visa versa...it is all with the inter-carrier sms issue. VZW is just the last to upgrade their point of contact to the rest of the world...idk why.
    05-26-09 05:24 PM
    just to bring another point up, none of the carriers guarantee inter-carrier sms/mms....each has their own message relay center, and they are in constant communication and fluctuation for transferring any data back and forth. every so often people on att or sprint can't sms vzw, or visa versa...it is all with the inter-carrier sms issue. VZW is just the last to upgrade their point of contact to the rest of the world...idk why.
    Well it seems that the characters are only an issue with VZW Blackberries. I had a Treo 650 and a Motorola Q and SMSd foreign characters just fine.
    05-26-09 05:33 PM
    Well it seems that the characters are only an issue with VZW Blackberries. I had a Treo 650 and a Motorola Q and SMSd foreign characters just fine.
    then it is a function of EMS to be able to send the foreign characters...since no VZW/CDMA berries have EMS capabilities, we can't send the characters...
    05-26-09 05:41 PM
    In response to it being a BB device issue that is not true. I see text issues almost every day when people put foreign characters in the signature of their SMS trying to make their name look cool or more girly.

LG's are very notorious for this happening.
    05-26-09 05:48 PM
    In response to it being a BB device issue that is not true. I see text issues almost every day when people put foreign characters in the signature of their SMS trying to make their name look cool or more girly.

LG's are very notorious for this happening.
    are they sending with EMS capable devices?
    05-26-09 05:50 PM
    The one I see it on the most is the enV2 which is not EMS capable.
    05-26-09 05:54 PM
    Here's the scoop and you are all wrong.

Spoke with AT&T & VZW people today. Foreign characters are NOT plain text characters & require an EMS-capable device.

With an EMS-capable device, AT&T has a 70-character limit on SMS transmissions that contain a foreign character. Their network sees all characters in a message containing foreign characters as two. VZW, on the other hand, seems to have no such issue, but that is with a test from a Dare to Saga to Pre. (To test inter-carrier).

Tried sending to BlackBerry & no-go.

Both sides need EMS support & there are no CDMA BlackBerrys currently offering EMS. I don't believe any GSM models do either - but will need to check a bit further on GSM support.

Now I do know GSM & CDMA handle SMS differently, which may explain the variations - and GSM may do a limited number of foreign characters without EMS support.

So - if you want foreign character support, or support for more than 160 characters, you need to forget BlackBerry on a CDMA carrier - at least for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 05:55 PM
    then it is a function of EMS to be able to send the foreign characters...since no VZW/CDMA berries have EMS capabilities, we can't send the characters...
    This is what I get for taking a phonecall in the middle of writing - patches beat me to the punch.

I did find out that, at least on CDMA, EMS is required.

05-26-09 05:57 PM
    Taken from support.vzw.com

Can I send Enhanced Text Messages to a Verizon Wireless Subscriber who has a non-EMS capable phone?

The text will be sent to the non-enhanced device, however all EMS features will be removed. All inserted graphics or sounds will be deleted. Also please note that currently customers with non-Enhanced Messaging Service capable devices may have an inconsistent experience, at times, receiving truncated 160-character only messages and at other times or receiving 160-character or above (multi-part) segmented messages. Non-EMS capable devices were not meant to accept multi-part EMS messages. Verizon Wireless is working to resolve this issue by adding enhancements to our network.

Once a technical solution is implemented, customers with non-EMS capable devices will be able to receive multi-part messages. Note: There is no planned date for implementation of a solution at this time and until further notice customers with non-EMS capable devices may continue to have an inconsistent experience.

No time frame as to when we will get it.
    05-26-09 06:06 PM
    Both sides need EMS support & there are no CDMA BlackBerrys currently offering EMS. I don't believe any GSM models do either - but will need to check a bit further on GSM support.

Now I do know GSM & CDMA handle SMS differently, which may explain the variations - and GSM may do a limited number of foreign characters without EMS support.
    Just to clarify, my UK hosted Bold handles it all perfectly. Whether you consider the top-of range flagship as "GSM" is open to debate
    05-26-09 06:10 PM
    Just to clarify, my UK hosted Bold handles it all perfectly. Whether you consider the top-of range flagship as "GSM" is open to debate
    GSM as in carrier technology - and your experience makes sense.

Now, have you noticed a character limit when sending a text with the alt-characters? I am curious, as I just got done reading an AT&T support piece confirming the 70 character limit, but it was from last year.

Please note that my curiosity is for info-purposes only. I personally have no need for foreign characters in text. For that matter, if texting went away tomorrow, I'd not shed a tear.

05-26-09 06:38 PM
    Interesting that nobody has mentioned EMS until now...not the post on RIM's site, not on Verizon's support forums...nada....zilch.
    05-26-09 06:57 PM
    Interesting that nobody has mentioned EMS until now...not the post on RIM's site, not on Verizon's support forums...nada....zilch.

that seems to be the underlying reason, and it answers the questions posed. but i guess its too complicated to try and explain to the lay users
    05-26-09 07:17 PM
    Here's one for you..
    I'm curious how IUSACELL, which is out of Mexico and a CDMA company (apparently partially owned by VZW) is able to sell their 8130's if they cannot send accented characters.
    05-26-09 07:17 PM
    Here's one for you..
    I'm curious how IUSACELL, which is out of Mexico and a CDMA company (apparently partially owned by VZW) is able to sell their 8130's if they cannot send accented characters.
    very carefully
    05-26-09 07:19 PM
    very carefully
    Uh uh.
    It would probably be difficult for them to market a phone that is not capable of sending these, even though SMS isn't used near as extensively in Mexico as it is in the US.
    05-26-09 07:33 PM
    GSM as in carrier technology - and your experience makes sense.

Now, have you noticed a character limit when sending a text with the alt-characters? I am curious, as I just got done reading an AT&T support piece confirming the 70 character limit, but it was from last year.
    A quick test sending round the loop back to my phone suggests 160 limit, with a test message 148 almost all accented characters. However, talking to self on same network is not the most demanding test, and I know the Bold will split or reassemble >160 character split messages to present as a single item but I can't determine if this has happened in my test.

We may never get to the full details on this. However it looks like network support is a major factor. Whether there is also a mobile side hole in the support remains unknown although I can't see RIM actively removing the redundant code from the VZW builds. It would be easier to restrict in configuration rather than risk the nightmare of codebase diverging too much for each carrier.
    05-26-09 08:42 PM
    well idk if any non-EMS berries have it, and the one thing all non-EMS berries have in common is the network technology: CDMA...so i suppose with EMS comes extra symbols...
    05-27-09 12:33 AM

Tried sending to BlackBerry & no-go.

Both sides need EMS support & there are no CDMA BlackBerrys currently offering EMS.
    Are you telling me I cant receive foreign charactors as well?
    05-27-09 03:14 PM
    roger that, fjl...if you don't have EMS then you can't send foreign characters...
    05-27-09 04:31 PM
    Are you telling me I cant receive foreign charactors as well?
    No send. No receive. I can do it on other verizon phones. Just not BB.

05-27-09 04:36 PM
    No send. No receive. I can do it on other verizon phones. Just not BB.

Hmmm interesting I can receive them. (and these are from other Verizon users, just not Blackberries)

I was really seeing if twinsx2 knew his stuff
    05-27-09 08:43 PM
    you can recieve foreign characters to your sms? care to forward that message to my email address in my sig so i can see? or better yet post a screen shot so we can see which characters they're sending?
    05-27-09 08:51 PM
    you can recieve foreign characters to your sms? care to forward that message to my email address in my sig so i can see? or better yet post a screen shot so we can see which characters they're sending?
    Ill post a screen next time I get one. Or if I have one archived, Ill send it on.
    05-27-09 09:43 PM
    thanks...i'm thinking that it is something that IS supported, but we need to see to be sure...
    05-27-09 09:52 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD