05-29-09 01:25 AM
65 123
tools
    Ive noticed that Verizon Blackberry Pearls do not support international charactors such as ccntd ( ) and special charactors commonly found in other languages such as Spanish and French. The apparent workaround is to type them as an MMS. However the special charactors are replaced by gibberish. Why is Verizon the only company that does "not permit" these on the Pearl? Spanish is a language option on the phone so why did VZW have to remove the ability to compose these charactors in SMS? Other Verizon phones support it and can receive them, including the Pearl.
    05-16-09 06:23 PM
    Why don't you ask RIM, as this is a language pack issue and RIM creates them.

Or maybe you just need to learn how to install other languages on your phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 06:39 PM
    Actually that is not true. Pearl users from other networks are using foreign charactors in thier SMSs just fine. If I recall correctly, back in the OS 4.3 days we could do this too.
    05-19-09 11:11 PM

Or maybe you just need to learn how to install other languages on your phone?

Excuse me, but my phones language is set to spanish, and so is the text imput language when I attempt to type in Spanish.
    05-19-09 11:13 PM
    And this is Verizon's fault?

The carriers do not write the language packs and VZW, AT&T & Sprint are all American companies last time I checked.

05-20-09 02:37 AM
    And this is Verizon's fault?

The carriers do not write the language packs and VZW, AT&T & Sprint are all American companies last time I checked.

but they do control SMS...

just like blackberrys on verizon dont have multi page SMS but blackberrys on other carriers do..

and next your response is then its the specific blackberry

and no its not

because I have proof and can take a video of it on a storm on the verizon network and then on the at&t network..

Verizon does do funky stuff with there sms service this you will not beable to prove anyone any different as we all have proof...

and yes sprint does not do this...
    05-20-09 03:47 AM
    About the 160 character limit, that appears to be a restriction on all cdma blackberrys so that includes sprint BBs as well

05-20-09 01:41 PM
    About the 160 character limit, that appears to be a restriction on all cdma blackberrys so that includes sprint BBs as well

really thats news to me.. There was a few pictures I saw floating around that had people with multiple pages on there sprint berry probably photoshops I guess then..

But I have seen the storm live in person on at&t network with multiple pages...

I now hear that verizon also blocks mms on the world edition blackberry so I know they do things weird with messaging.
    05-20-09 05:24 PM
    We all hear a lot of things. That doesn't make them all true.

05-20-09 06:33 PM
    Ive noticed that Verizon Blackberry Pearls do not support international charactors such as ccntd ( ) and special charactors commonly found in other languages such as Spanish and French. The apparent workaround is to type them as an MMS. However the special charactors are replaced by gibberish. Why is Verizon the only company that does "not permit" these on the Pearl? Spanish is a language option on the phone so why did VZW have to remove the ability to compose these charactors in SMS? Other Verizon phones support it and can receive them, including the Pearl.
    Because we live in a country called "America," and in "America" we speak a language called "English," which is the predominant language of the country. Personally, I think the states/feds need to pass laws forcing "speak english or you're not allowed to speak".
    05-21-09 10:04 AM
    America is the continent, not the country. We live in the United States where, believe it or not, people speak languages other than English.

Don't believe me? Come to any, ANY Wal-Mart in Arizona and look at the signs. That's all, just look.
    05-21-09 10:35 AM
    America is the continent, not the country. We live in the United States where, believe it or not, people speak languages other than English.

Don't believe me? Come to any, ANY Wal-Mart in Arizona and look at the signs. That's all, just look.
    America is not the continent any more than it is not the country! North America is the continent and the United States of America is the country! Also ENGLISH is the primary language, not the only language.
    05-21-09 11:28 AM
    Never said it wasn't the primary language, only that it wasn't the only language.

And you are correct, North and South America are the Continents, not just America.

But I don't mean to take the thread off track. There really is no good reason to not allow these characters in SMS, especially if they're available with other carriers.
    05-21-09 11:44 AM
    I just love these tiny attempts at PC semantics.

Yes, the USA is in North America, which is part of the Americas, found in the Western Hemisphere. While technically, a Canadian, a Mexican, a Peruvian, a Brazilian and a Guatemalan could call themselves "American," they don't. Go anywhere in the world, say America or American, and even the dumbest fool knows you're not talking about Panama or Chileans. If you think otherwise, you may want to evaluate your power of reasoning and consider getting off the misguided & dangerous PC bandwagon.

There should be a law establishing English as the official language - but it should not be the only language, nor should what language people speak be legislated. English is already the only language of aviation & finance worldwide.

If you want language packs for your device, you need to contact the software maker for the software on your phone. In this case, it is not Verizon - it is RIM. Research in Motion is a Canadian company and Canada is officially bilingual with English & French.

For purposes of optimizing the extremely limited memory capacity of BlackBerry devices, RIM does not include every possible language. In fact, RIM doesn't write that many language packs, often leaving that to third-party sources.

You will not find any BlackBerry with a large run of language support out of the box. They are optimized for the national market in which they are sold. There are still some gaping holes in the selection - last time I looked, there were no Japanese packs available.

And, for the record, what Walmart does in Arizona should have zero bearing on what any wireless carrier or manufacturer does anywhere.

Want more language & font options? Get WinMo. Otherwise, you're dealing with a limitation in a device designed & created by a Canadian company. No carrier is obligated to serve you up language options they can't or won't support.

05-21-09 12:06 PM
    Because we live in a country called "America," and in "America" we speak a language called "English," which is the predominant language of the country. Personally, I think the states/feds need to pass laws forcing "speak english or you're not allowed to speak".
    And if you don't like then you can git out? Is that what you're going to say next? (that attitude is one of the reason foreigners look down at our "American" nationality and our "American" culture so much)

I didn't realize this thread would turn political and bigoted. Think what you want because that is your right, but regardless of what language should be "official" or no "official" language in the UNITED STATES, it doesn't matter for the purpose of this thread. It seems to me that most people who think this way are simply intolerant of the difference that makes this country great. Sure, you make a very good point that it's slightly annoying when you go to a business and the person doesn't speak English to you. There is a very large percentage of Spanish-speakers in the US whether you like it or not. Verizon provides support in Spanish and RIM phones are packaged with the ability to add French and Spanish support. Many of not most or all of Verizon’s phones have foreign language support.

Want more language & font options? Get WinMo. Otherwise, you're dealing with a limitation in a device designed & created by a Canadian company. No carrier is obligated to serve you up language options they can't or won't support.

TwinsX2Dad, as many of us have previously stated, the other carriers aren't doing this. This is not a limitation carried out by RIM. Yes, they write the language packs but somehow VZW has removed the ability to write foreign characters in SMS and MMS. (This has been documented in other threads) You can actually type and select these characters in an MMS, but they are stripped to gibberish characters when sent to another phone or when you view the sent message. From what I understand, the most basic flip phones Verizon sells supports these foreign characters. AND if it was a RIM limitation, explain to me why I can PIN message, email, instant message and type foreign characters in every other text field everywhere else on my Pearl except on SMS, and MMS - the two services are that carrier dependent.

really thats news to me.. {about the 160 char. limit} There was a few pictures I saw floating around that had people with multiple pages on there sprint berry probably photoshops I guess then..
    There is actually an application called Beyond160 in the Crackberry App store, which will automatically split up text messages beyond the 160 char. limit. Some Verizon sold phones (Motorola Q) actually have this feature built in. I think there is a review of it somewhere on the site, and it is available as a free trial

They are optimized for the national market in which they are sold.
    US (well at least VZW) Blackberries come with the option (on the Verizon BB Desktop manager, and the downloads off for BB Desktop Manager VZW's site) to install Spanish and French as additional languages. TwinsX2Dad, what is the second most spoken language in the US after English?

American can both refer to a person of the US or a person of the two America continents. Yes using the term "American" to refer from a person of the United States is quite common...but mostly in the United States. I will go ahead and point out that many people from the United States never get to see the foreign perspective. Whether that's because of the mass exportation of our culture of their sheer ignorance (or both) is a question for another debate. In Mexico, a person from the US is not referred to as an "American" they are referred to as "Norteamericanos". While this translates to "North Americans" - which is interesting because yes, Mexico is in North America. Even though Mexico is in North America it differs greatly from the US (and Canada) since it is a part of Latin America.

Here's an interesting point to consider...
    Are people from the Central African Republic called Africans? No, everybody from Africa (the continent) is considered an African.

These arguments are never going to end and nobody is going to win, I never intended this thread to go this direction. I simply wanted to know (possibly from someone at Verizon) why the foreign language capabilities on THIER carrier dependent services (SMS and MMS - which are not carried through BIS or BES) have been stripped.

I'll go ahead and shoot an email to RIM about this issue, bets are, they explain what I have tried to explain here, and they will tell me to contact my carrier.
    Last edited by fjl307; 05-21-09 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling...
    05-21-09 01:33 PM
    English is already the only language of aviation & finance worldwide.
    I wish someone would tell that to the Spanish ATC operators who handle flights for Gibraltar. For some reason they lose all their English skills as soon as the Gib flight calls them. Nasty, political, dangerous.

There are still some gaping holes in the selection - last time I looked, there were no Japanese packs available.
    I believe this has traditionally been because the Japanese language market was not accessible to RIM. Until Bold was released with 3G no BlackBerry devices were compatible with Japanese domestic networks, and Japan has routinely placed regulatory obstacles in the way of imported electronics.

FYI, Bold is the only RIM device currently marketed in Japan, and the EastAsia OS releases include Japanese support. It is interesting to note Japanese support files also exist in the latest 8900 Curve2 EastAsia release (.231/Hutchinson) although the device does not support 3G and will not work in Japan. A sign of things to come in the 89xx range?
    05-21-09 07:27 PM
    Interesting how nobody else has replied...
    05-23-09 01:40 AM
    And of course Japanese language packs were a diversion anyway. All (recent) BlackBerry software supports the standard "latin alphabet" accented characters, and they are supported by other applications and they are correctly passed through SMS by other carriers.

It appears the accented characters work for similar phones from other providers, so that tends to put the problem firmly with the service provider and/or one specific sub-model. Reading between the lines a little, the OP says input language is Spanish which implies accented characters work in other applications and only fail in SMS on the VZW network.
    05-23-09 01:15 PM
    i also want to say that the answer "get winmo" doesnt apply to the world especially here. I dont come to crackberry to get windows mobile shoved down my throat.. and frankly it gets old.

its been proving many times over that verizon has done things with there mms and sms abilitys that other companys just dont do.

Proving by the same devices running on other networks. the post I quoted is another reiteration of the exact problem..

And of course Japanese language packs were a diversion anyway. All (recent) BlackBerry software supports the standard "latin alphabet" accented characters, and they are supported by other applications and they are correctly passed through SMS by other carriers.

It appears the accented characters work for similar phones from other providers, so that tends to put the problem firmly with the service provider and/or one specific sub-model. Reading between the lines a little, the OP says input language is Spanish which implies accented characters work in other applications and only fail in SMS on the VZW network.
    Last edited by noaim; 05-23-09 at 05:55 PM.
    05-23-09 05:49 PM
    [QUOTE=noaim;2630473]i also want to say that the answer "get winmo" doesnt apply to the world especially here. I dont come to crackberry to get windows mobile shoved down my throat.. and frankly it gets old.

I agree with that. If I want windows mobile I sure wouldn't come to crackberry.

05-23-09 09:59 PM
    My understanding is that the carrier will determine a particular coding for SMS, as SMS is a voice related feature. Thus, the coding needs to be offered by the carrier in order for the sender to have the capability from the BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Foreign charactors in SMS on 8130? (á é í ú ñ..etc) - BlackBerry 8100 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Pearl - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-26-09 12:12 PM
    Good find. That seems to bring the debate to a positive conclusion, with the ball firmly behind Verizon's goal line.
    05-26-09 03:42 PM
    Good find. That seems to bring the debate to a positive conclusion, with the ball firmly behind Verizon's goal line.
    And for what reason?
    Itll probably be too "much trouble" for them to fix it.
    05-26-09 03:58 PM

Exactly!
    Emails? Check
    PIN Messaging: Check
    IM: Check
    Browser: Check

SMS: Fail
    MMS: Fail

What do the last two in common have? >They are carrier dependent.
    05-26-09 04:12 PM
    My understanding is that the carrier will determine a particular coding for SMS, as SMS is a voice related feature. Thus, the coding needs to be offered by the carrier in order for the sender to have the capability from the BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Foreign charactors in SMS on 8130? (á é * ú ñ..etc) - BlackBerry 8100 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Pearl - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

there you go.. that was good information thanks!
    05-26-09 04:46 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD