04-24-08 01:06 PM
63 123
tools
    called verizon about my mms text messaging if i could do that w/o a data plan

VERIZON needs to train their employees... 1st one was "Latoya" who insisted for 20 min that blackberrys, unlike other smartphones, cannot be on a pay per use internet or to stop the data plan

her words "there is no possible way to take off the data plan from a blackberry - i dont know who you talked to, but it is impossible. call blackberry."

frustrated, i called 2 min. later and talked to a very helpful woman who said "yea, of course you can do that." and helped me figure out that mms cannot be sent w/o data
    01-11-08 11:51 PM
    When I got my 7250 in June 2005, I did not have data plan. I was on my family's voice plan. I use the 7250 for text messages because it is easier to type and also I'm deaf so I text often. Later that year in October, I racked up $90 in bill because I had been using browser. I decided to stop use full features. Then in late fall of 2006, I added data plan of $45 so I can use IM+ to chat with my friends. Thus, I have been using full features since. I even bought a 8830 WE last August. Now, Verizon has $30 data plan so I will switch to that plan. I was not happy because I have been paying extra $15 for three months since they announced new data plans last November.
    01-12-08 01:55 AM
    On Nextel blackberries the only thing you can do without a data plan is call, no MMS or anything.
    01-13-08 11:38 AM
    I got a brand new Verizon Pearl from a friend for cheap. Long story short, she got the Pink Pearl for compensation from Verizon, and sold me her old one for an unbelievable deal. I was using Samsung SCH-i730 for the longest time and just wanted something with similar features without the bulk. Anyway, there are reasons for liking just the phone part of it.

Well I have been searching all over the net for the past couple of days to find a way to not get the data plan (cause I am an on-campus college student who has internet access a matter of 5 min from where ever I am at and can live without some of the luxurious features [until I get a career that is]). Getting back to the story, I came across this post, and am glad I did. I called *611 and told the rep that I have read numerous times of people being able to cancel the BB data plans. After a moment, HE WAS ABLE TO CANCEL THE BB DATA PLAN!!! This is as of 2-9-08. I am thankful someone was able to post this, and wanted to return a favor and let people know my story.

Also, I think that if you get a rep on *611 and tell them you know the data plan can be canceled and you want to use a BB as just a phone, then they will help you out, or atleast try. If they still say it can't work, hang up and dial *611 again, and try it with a different person. It has to work, as it did for me.
    02-09-08 05:22 PM
    All the time people spend calling Verizon griping about paying for data plans, you could have gone down the street picking up cans or mowing somebodys grass to pay for a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-08 05:41 PM
    All the time people spend calling Verizon griping about paying for data plans, you could have gone down the street picking up cans or mowing somebodys grass to pay for a data plan.

LOL. Anyway, i use ATT,. and they are more expensive. I pay 49.99 a month for unlimited BB and unlimited messaging. I will never complain though, cause you get what you pay for. In my house, ATT gets full bars. NOT 1 OTHER PHONE GETS EVEN 1!!!
    02-09-08 05:53 PM
    dpslusser, have you still been able to get away with not having a data plan?? I was about to send my Pearl back before I read your posts.
    02-24-08 04:25 PM
    Yeah, I gues I am not getting why not purchase the data plan.

It like buying a house and can't afford the electric bill.

Some plans are as cheap at as $30 a month. Come on it is a $500 device. Just get a Treo or Palm Centro if you can't afford the BB.
    02-24-08 04:51 PM
    I am very suprised to see so many people who do not have a data plan on there blackberry's with verizon wireless service! The reason there is so much confusion among CSR's because some can't differentiate between blackberry's and other PDA's and Smartphones. They mainly deal with billing and price plans. This problem occurs because Verizon Wireless has an agreement with Blackberry, and not the makers of the other brands. VZW agreed that they would not sell the BB devices without a BB data plan. So the accounts that carry a palm or any other smartphone or PDA can be provisioned with pay as you go data, or even have a block on the data plan. In the case of having a block put on the data application, you will not be able to send MMS messages. These PDA and smartphone devices are autoprovisioned with the unlimited data package on activation. As for BlackBerry, because of the agreement the data plans should not be removed. but that doesn't mean that they can't be, so if you call in and get a representative that doesn't understand the relationship with BlackBerry they may set the account up without the data plan. Their system is supposed to be set up to catch this and prevent the account from being setup this way but I'm sure it doesn't happen in all cases. Also there are new plans available where the Blackberry data plan is including in the pricing of the actual calling plan. It's quite possible you were put on this plan which is a little cheaper that having the data plan added seperately. In this scenario you still would be able to use the BlackBerry internet and email functions.

Hope this helps!
    02-24-08 06:07 PM
    I think the best thing to do is to call a verizon CSR that specializes in Blackberry. (Their is options to speak to a blackberry (or smartphone) representative, when you dial 611). I wouldn't even tell them what your trying to do with your phone. Just be like, "I have a few questions for you...is it possible to have a blackberry device without a data plan?" If there say no, hang up and call again. You'll never get the same person. Keep doing it until someone answers yes. When they do, give them your account info, or what ever, and have them turn the data plan off.
    Last edited by dpslusser; 02-24-08 at 10:37 PM.
    02-24-08 10:26 PM
    There are only two tiers for the call center setup. Regular CSRs and then Tech Support picking the blackberry option on the *611 menu only allows them to route the calls and keep you away from the CSRs who are new and are being gated for only easy calls. If you're trying to get your data package removed it's probably a good idea to try and stay away from the people who know what they are doing because they are more likely to be aware that it's not something that should be done! If you keep hanging up and calling back you will eventually get someone who doesn't know what they are doing and will remove the data package for you, just keep in mind that everytime you get someone on the phone the account is tagged so they can tell how many times you have called in and what for....Good Luck!
    02-24-08 10:41 PM
    Yeah, I gues I am not getting why not purchase the data plan.

It like buying a house and can't afford the electric bill.

Some plans are as cheap at as $30 a month. Come on it is a $500 device. Just get a Treo or Palm Centro if you can't afford the BB.

Let me break it down. Hold a pearl in front of (Key words- In front) of a treo or even the new centro, and compare the size. One reason I would get a blackberry, is because of the size. I cant stand the bulkiness of treos! Yes you can easily turn off the data plan on treo's, but id rather fight with verizon csr's to have my blackberry. Now...tell me...why would I pay minimum 30 dollars a month just to check my emails, when I have access to a computer throughout the day (besides when I sleep)? I know you have internet access, but why do it on a 3 inch screen, when, again, I have access to a computer.

I think these are some of the reason's why people just don't want...need...a data plan. The price of the device....not with a contract.
    02-24-08 10:46 PM
    ust keep in mind that everytime you get someone on the phone the account is tagged so they can tell how many times you have called in and what for....Good Luck!
    Ya but one way around it is to call from a land-line phone, and even if they ask for your information, just be polite and ask them how their day is going...blah blah blah...and be like, "Hey, quick question...is it possible..." you get the point. If done it 3 times, each directed towards "Blackberry"/tech support CSR's and 2 of them said it can be done. Each time I talk to the NEWBIE's, they said no. Even from my OP, the csr I talked to said that most BB CSR's know it CAN be done. Maybe it was just at that call center. I dunno. Or...he could of been lying.
    02-24-08 10:53 PM
    When I got my 7250 in June 2005, I did not have data plan. I was on my family's voice plan. I use the 7250 for text messages because it is easier to type and also I'm deaf so I text often. Later that year in October, I racked up $90 in bill because I had been using browser. I decided to stop use full features. Then in late fall of 2006, I added data plan of $45 so I can use IM+ to chat with my friends. Thus, I have been using full features since. I even bought a 8830 WE last August. Now, Verizon has $30 data plan so I will switch to that plan. I was not happy because I have been paying extra $15 for three months since they announced new data plans last November.
    See my quote above, which is on second page of this thread. I actually went to my local VZW store and was able to block data access on my BB.

Right now I am on $30 data plan. Whoo!!!!
    02-25-08 12:15 AM
    man. i have a headache & don't know what the real outcome is, lol.
    02-25-08 01:40 AM
    man. i have a headache & don't know what the real outcome is, lol.
    Well Cate, don't sweat it. Do you have a BB now? Just do what I said, the last post up.
    02-25-08 08:24 PM
    Tis true. just got an 8310 and everything works except email,internet and video. anyone saying different is selling the stuff and wants an extra buck.
    03-24-08 06:36 PM
    Thanks Gunk,

I don't no why people are so confused, and don't no what to do. Get the phone that you want. And TRY to get the Data package taken off. If you don't succeed, try again...and if that didn't work...try again...sooner or later you will run into a CSR that knows you don't need it. JUST DO IT!!! lol nike.

-Later
    03-24-08 06:40 PM
    Why were you paying 45? The 45 is for PDA/smartphone Unlimited data which is different from the BIS and BES plans. The BIS was aways 30 and the BES is 50 or something I forgot
    03-24-08 06:59 PM
    I had to have the bb data plan in order to get my rebate. I'd ask if there is a rebate invovled, just to be sure your covered.
    03-24-08 07:01 PM
    I have the data plan, but I plan to get rid of it after one month is up. I lived just fine without email and internet in my pocket...thats what my home pc is for. And I like the fact that there is a full keyboard, good camera and its an mp3 player. I see it as a much cheaper Iphone without the touch screen. But with the iphone you HAVE to have net access.
    03-24-08 07:17 PM
    I'm with T-Mobile and have a 8320 Curve. I do not have a data plan but can check email via wifi because I have HotSpot@Home.
    03-24-08 07:32 PM
    cjcarbone try using an 8320 with a wifi router and cable/dsl internet, unlimited voice and data via wifi at home for 10 bucks with the talk forever add-on
    03-24-08 07:39 PM
    Having a BB without a data plan is just complete stupidity. Seriously, why would you do that? Not trying to be a d**k, but I just don't get it I guess. If its because you can't afford the data service, then what the **** are you doing buying a blackberry?

Kinda interesting knowing you can have a BB without a data plan though. LOL

03-25-08 12:02 AM
    Why were you paying 45? The 45 is for PDA/smartphone Unlimited data which is different from the BIS and BES plans. The BIS was aways 30 and the BES is 50 or something I forgot
    Business Voice and Data Plans

By the way, new data plans were announced back in November, but I wasn't aware of them until I found out about them at CrackBerry.com couple of months ago. Now I am on $30 data plan since mid-February.
    03-25-08 12:15 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD