Looks like Verizon will not allow 'alternative upgrades' for their iPhone 4 launch. Which means, if you are planning on adding a line to get the iPhone and switching esn's with your current number you will be denied. Also goes for if you plan on buying it with your upgrade and then trying to sell.

They said that who ever gets the iPhone will have to keep it on their number. I don't know for how long but I can't imagine they make you keep it on the same number for long. It wouldn't work out if you decide you do not like Verizon in your area and/or is to expensive and would like to sale your clean esn iPhone to recoup some cash.

UPDATE

JUst got off with a couple more reps and they both said I am able to open a line and do an esn swap with the iPhone. I guess the first rep I spoke with yesterday didn't know what she was talking about. Also, I was put on hold twice with the reps today so they can verify if it was still possible.
    Last edited by WhosToBlame; 01-14-11 at 12:26 PM.
    01-13-11 01:23 PM
    I'm not sure if they would have a legal leg to stand on. UNLESS they made you sign a special contract.
    01-13-11 02:48 PM
    I'm not sure if they would have a legal leg to stand on. UNLESS they made you sign a special contract.
    My thoughts exactly but that is what I was told when I called. We will have to wait to see what happens when the phone actually releases.
    01-13-11 02:59 PM
    Given that in the past people have figured out a way to make a buck on Verizon's back, I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the loopholes.
    01-13-11 03:02 PM
    i just called verizon to make sure i can use my moms upgrade on her account and activate the phone on my account. they said once she purchases the phone she can gift it to whomever she wants as long as the new two year agreement needed for the phone is accepted on her account. so if you want to buy the iphone on one account and use it on a different one you are able to.
    01-13-11 03:34 PM
    i just called verizon to make sure i can use my moms upgrade on her account and activate the phone on my account. they said once she purchases the phone she can gift it to whomever she wants as long as the new two year agreement needed for the phone is accepted on her account. so if you want to buy the iphone on one account and use it on a different one you are able to.
    That's great news. I will call a couple more tomorrow and see if I can get multiple reps to confirm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 06:01 PM
    That's great news. I will call a couple more tomorrow and see if I can get multiple reps to confirm
    There are a couple Verizon reps who read these posts. Maybe one of them can confirm?

I find it hard to believe they'd get rid of the "alternate upgrade". There's been no other website or news organization confirming that; the only change is the removal of NE2 and Annual Upgrade on new 2-year contracts. AT&T allows the "alternate upgrade" and given all upgrades with discounted pricing lock in a new contracts I don't see Verizon giving it up.
    01-13-11 10:49 PM
    Save it. Although VZW is getting the iPhone 4. I hear that the iPhone 5 will be coming out early summer. But is unclear if VZW will get the new 5.

01-14-11 09:19 AM
    Once you take a byte of the apple.
    01-14-11 09:56 AM
    There are a couple Verizon reps who read these posts. Maybe one of them can confirm?
    Nothing has been released to us regarding upgrade policies. The only thing anyone knows for sure is that it will be available for pre sale to existing customers on February 3rd. We had our first training yesterday and all it covered was the specs of the phone.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-14-11 10:05 AM
    Thanks Vet! Please let us know if and when you can, what's up.
    01-14-11 10:18 AM
    Thanks Vet! Please let us know if and when you can, what's up.
    Please feel free to private message me about any info! And by the way, if you have heard that it will be a long time before VZW employees can get the iPhone, that's one hundred percent true.

On another note, we were trained, again, on Blackberry 6. And of course, still no release date as to when the Curve 3G or Bold will get this. Very sad and upsetting. I always said, if I could get the Torch, I'd say the **** with the iPhone.
    01-14-11 10:37 AM
    Why can't VZW reps get the iphone?!?!

01-14-11 11:59 AM
    JUst got off with a couple more reps and they both said I am able to open a line and do an esn swap with the iPhone. I guess the first rep I spoke with yesterday didn't know what she was talking about. Also, I was put on hold twice with the reps today so they can verify if it was still possible.
    01-14-11 12:25 PM
    Like Vet said, our info is limited. The original rep might have be confused in reference to the online presale. Unlike the new alternate upgrade process that you can now do online, it will not apply to the preordering process. You would just have to do it old school and do it like normal, then an ESN change. As far as we know, besides that, it is business as usual. We've had very basic overviews of whats going on so far. I know our trainers at our center are going out this weekend for a centralized training and we should start getting most details next week or the week after as it trickles into each area of the business.
    01-14-11 06:56 PM
    And this surprises you, why?
    01-14-11 10:05 PM
    Why can't VZW reps get the iphone?!?!

We'll get it, just not for some time.
    01-15-11 07:42 AM
    So will this scenario work?

We've been meaning to transfer our home phone to another line on our family plan. If we're existing customers adding a new line, does anyone think that would be eligible for the pre-order? My line is up for the 1 year renewal, so I'm good, but we were looking to add the new line with the iPhone to get DH one, and then put a dumb phone on the home #.

01-16-11 04:27 PM
    So will this scenario work?

We've been meaning to transfer our home phone to another line on our family plan. If we're existing customers adding a new line, does anyone think that would be eligible for the pre-order? My line is up for the 1 year renewal, so I'm good, but we were looking to add the new line with the iPhone to get DH one, and then put a dumb phone on the home #.

Yes that will work
    01-17-11 07:51 AM
    If they have one year contracts, and allow for an alternate upgrade I'll be getting one on pre order too. Always wanted an iPhone

01-17-11 09:11 PM
    Whats the point of adding a line, then paying the ETF? Your better off just paying out right for the phone, even if you had a line than just put a dummy phone and pay 10$ a month, your still going to be paying more in the long run.
    01-18-11 03:07 PM
    Whats the point of adding a line, then paying the ETF? Your better off just paying out right for the phone, even if you had a line than just put a dummy phone and pay 10$ a month, your still going to be paying more in the long run.
    Adding a line would not make you pay more. Say you add a line and pay 199 for the iphone the pay an extra $10 love that is an additional $240. So total your paying $440. $160 less then full retail.

01-18-11 06:05 PM
    I wouldn't add a line just to cancel. I would add a line and allow another family member to use it. In this case, my mother in law will be getting the line with a "dumb" phone and I will have another upgrade available in 20 months with that line and my line will still have an upgrade in summer.
    01-18-11 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD