03-23-09 08:51 PM
35 12
tools
    I know there's already a Storm/Curve conversation going on here, but I'd be interested in getting folks' thoughts on getting a Curve now vs. waiting for the Niagara. I know that we don't have the specs on the Niagara yet, so I'm thinking more about general issues of going with a new vs. established Blackberry. I'm new to BBs and will probably have a hard enough time just learning my way around the device without dealing with bugs. When new Blackberries come out, do they tend to have OS issues and bugginess that a newbie should stay away from? Or should I just get the device I want (which I think is the Niagara) and assume that patches and OS improvements will come along?

Thanks in advance for the help...
    03-14-09 10:08 AM
    Lots of folks have asked this question. It depends on your needs. There is no release dates for any BB on VZW right now. You might be waiting a long period of time. Now the curve is a very relialble device. If you wait for the next the device to be released, and then you will hear about another that might be coming and you will ask yourself again, should I get the niagara or wait for the next one? A never ending battle.
    03-14-09 10:27 AM
    So true lastrain. It's a shame the customer can't have the phone they want with the carrier they want. Guess the customer doesn't always come first.
    03-14-09 12:38 PM
    sorry "lastraid"
    03-14-09 12:39 PM
    So true lastrain. It's a shame the customer can't have the phone they want with the carrier they want. Guess the customer doesn't always come first.
    Not always a matter of having what you want. It is a matter technology and will it run on another carrier. Also there network securities involved.

Kinda like wanting your Ford to be reapired by Chevy, just cause you like the mechanics there better. Chevy will not fix it.
    03-14-09 01:26 PM
    My Chevy dealer will fix Fords. No warranty work, of course, but Mr. Goodwrench is a good wrench.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 04:13 PM
    Niagara. Why take a step back with the Curve?
    03-14-09 04:16 PM
    Okay, so I'm hearing one vote for the Niagara and one vote for making up my mind and realizing there will always be something new on the horizon. Anyone else?
    03-15-09 08:31 AM
    My Chevy dealer will fix Fords. No warranty work, of course, but Mr. Goodwrench is a good wrench.

Did your Ford come out with Chevy emblems on it?
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-15-09 at 03:13 PM.
    03-15-09 09:19 AM
    i have a curve 8330 that i am very happy with. however i did encounter memory issues up until i installed 4.5.0.131 from scratch. i now love my phone. super speedy and super capable.

i do plan to get the niagra later this year when i'm up for upgrade in september. i was terribly excited about the blackberry storm although i still have not been convinced by the click touch. i really like my physical keyboard and thus the niagra is the next step for this guy.
    my point with .131 above however is that i was not happy with vzw os entirely it took the sprint + crackmem + scratch install for me to be 100% satisfied. with that being said, how long will it be before sprint or another cdma carrier internationally to pick up the niagra and get a better os out? hopefully with all these spy shots being out the niagra will come out relatively soon and by the time i'm able to upgrade there will be multiple carriers with the phone and i wont have to kick myself in the teeth.

also i admit to being a "what's the use in wifi" cheerleader but after having my ipod touch for a while and slamming that wifi, i want wifi on my berry and it doesn't look like thats going to happen. i am now curious as to why this option is unavailable due to the great ammount of transfers that would stay off the vzw network allowing for better overall performance.

*shrugs* i will be upgrading my ipod touch to an unlocked iphone for simply entertainment purposes and GPS!#*(#)()@ if the vzw folks would unlock the gps i would have no need for this. although the catch is the places i want the gps are often places where only VZW has coverage! i will have to do more research as to how the gps works on iphone to see if i can use it where there is no gsm coverage.
    03-15-09 02:52 PM
    Did your Ford come out with Chevy embems on it?
    Ha ha ha. Nice one.
    03-15-09 03:02 PM
    my point with .131 above however is that i was not happy with vzw os entirely it took the sprint + crackmem + scratch install for me to be 100% satisfied.
    Thanks for that helpful reply. Just a couple more questions for you: Was the Curve the first Blackberry that you had? If so, did the OS issues make it significantly harder for you to get used to using it? I'm just thinking that even though the Niagara will undoubtedly be slick, I might be better off with something that already has the kinks worked out until I'm more used to Blackberries.
    03-15-09 04:08 PM
    yes and no. i had a pearl for about a month and a half however the curve was definitely the one i "cut my teeth" on with modifying, upgrading, etc. really any device will have kinks seeing how nothing is flawless, it's just a matter of whether or not you push it to the limit on the right spot to see the flaw. i guess what i'm getting at is, play with both and see which you like better and just go with it. having the "latest and greatest" is all but impossible. so just ignore the "new/hip" factor and make your decision based off your tastes and what you like best. however if the niagra comes out as gimpy as the bold i'd never buy the damn thing but verizon doesn't release unstable pieces of garbage. they release really sweet phones with oses that are slower than molasses in a blizzard!
    my curve still has issues but i'm happy with the overall performance. part of what i love about my phone also is that I (with the help of crackberry nation of course) tweaked it to my liking, personalizing it to my needs/uses. that being said it is MY curve not the 8330 i started with. if i pick up a stock curve i'm lost!
    03-15-09 08:47 PM
    I have a similiar debate though it involves getting a storm or waiting for the niagra. I work for a premium verizon dealer and am eligible for an agent line in a few days. They give us the 2 yr contract price on an agent line so I can get a storm for $200. I still have my curve to fall back on but I am really liking the niagra. Worst case for me is get the storm and sell both the curve and storm to pay for the Niagra.
    03-16-09 02:03 PM
    I'd say wait on the Niagara.
    03-16-09 03:12 PM
    Now I will throw the proverbial wrench in the works.

From the looks of it, by the time the new BB comes out, we'll have been waiting for 6mo to a year (dependind on whether you're a touchscreen or button person). The minute we all grab this new wonder of the BlackBerry world, the new watch will be on.

Actually, it isn't a watch - it has already started.

LTE is already being implemented, with an eye on rollout starting later this year.

Will you be able to stand having your Niagara when faster is out there?

It is a never-ending cycle.

03-16-09 04:17 PM
    I'm in the same predicament. I've tested out storm, and it's not really great for my needs (mostly business related). At this point I'm fairly certain I'll be going with the Curve rather than wait an unspecified amount of time.

I've also come to realize that the first release of a phone is always a bit buggy, and would rather wait til they get all the kinks out.

From my research the Curve seems to be almost one of the most advocated and stable phones. I've also noticed that the phones don't seem to change too too much when new ones come out like some other brands out there.

So yeah, I'll be getting a curve myself and wait for them to work kinks out. And yes, there's always going to be talk about something new and flashy in the works.... you can never really keep up.
    03-16-09 06:31 PM
    I'm banking on the Niagara being released in May/June when my early upgrade is available. I love my 8330, but just can't resist.
    03-16-09 06:59 PM
    I had to make the same decision and I'm way too impatient to wait so I went with the curve 2 months ago and I love it. I believe I made the best choice. Its very reliable fast and a great developed device. I'm using the os that came with it 4.5.0.77 and I love it. I say go with the curve unless you have the patients to wait for a device that could still have bugs and take time to perfect. That's just my opinion...

03-16-09 07:17 PM
    Do you know when or if the 8900 or the Niagara will be released to Sprint or AT&T?
    03-16-09 07:28 PM
    The niagra screen size seem to be bigger; I always go for the bigger screen
    03-16-09 07:31 PM
    Now I will throw the proverbial wrench in the works.

From the looks of it, by the time the new BB comes out, we'll have been waiting for 6mo to a year (dependind on whether you're a touchscreen or button person). The minute we all grab this new wonder of the BlackBerry world, the new watch will be on.

Actually, it isn't a watch - it has already started.

LTE is already being implemented, with an eye on rollout starting later this year.

Will you be able to stand having your Niagara when faster is out there?

It is a never-ending cycle.

Yeah, I know. But unless something really crazy happens (like women stop having babies so I'm not constantly at work and sleep-deprived), I'll never be a power Blackberry user like most of the people on here. I think once I finally settle on something, that will be the end of it for quite a while. Of course, I'm sure there are a few addicts on here who thought the same thing once...
    03-16-09 11:14 PM
    BGR reported sprint to have the niagra late q2 of this year. I would definitely hold out for the niagra if you can! If only it had wifi
    03-16-09 11:23 PM
    Oh yeah I posted this from my iPod cause it has wifi!
    03-16-09 11:24 PM
    I would wait for the Niagara or get the Storm if the keyboard is something you van get used to. Keep in mind that the Curve was already quite dated when it came out for CDMA. At this point it is very old technology. I personally wouldn't buy one now. I think you'll find yourself lusting for one of the sexier newer models very quickly.
    I know there's already a Storm/Curve conversation going on here, but I'd be interested in getting folks' thoughts on getting a Curve now vs. waiting for the Niagara. I know that we don't have the specs on the Niagara yet, so I'm thinking more about general issues of going with a new vs. established Blackberry. I'm new to BBs and will probably have a hard enough time just learning my way around the device without dealing with bugs. When new Blackberries come out, do they tend to have OS issues and bugginess that a newbie should stay away from? Or should I just get the device I want (which I think is the Niagara) and assume that patches and OS improvements will come along?

Thanks in advance for the help...
    03-16-09 11:33 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD