There is so much here and I tried to RTFF, but didn't see answers to my specific newbie issues so I hope I can get some help here. I apologize if I missed something and it has already been discussed.

My girlfriend and I are currently on a 5 yr old Sprint plan with my Lucent Technologies discount - It's basically 2,000 shared minutes for about $95 / month total. I recently lost my phone and hers is getting old so we are thinking of moving to another carrier. Some of my work takes me to Western NC where Verizon seems to be the only carrier so I think it might be the best way to go. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. If we both get Storms, does VZW have any kind of sharing plan?
    2. I am no longer at Lucent but I still have my ID. Will they look the other way and give me the Alcatel-Lucent discount based on my badge in order to bring in a new customer?
    3. I do some work overseas and would prefer to use a SIM from the carriers over there. Is VZW pretty good about unlocking phones for valid reasons? Are there other known methods to unlock a Storm?
    4. All my mail is through Gmail so I don't need any special BB email plan. But I plan to do alot of websurfing and gmail. Is the BB data plan unlimited? Can I tether it?

Hey, thanks for any help.
    02-25-09 08:50 PM
    The manual probably doesn't cover most of your questions, so I'll try to give you my best shot...

1. If we both get Storms, does VZW have any kind of sharing plan?
    Yes, it is called Family Share Plan. Details are on the Website. Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless
    2. I am no longer at Lucent but I still have my ID. Will they look the other way and give me the Alcatel-Lucent discount based on my badge in order to bring in a new customer?
    Probably. I still get a discount from years ago - then again, I've not left VZW.
    3. I do some work overseas and would prefer to use a SIM from the carriers over there. Is VZW pretty good about unlocking phones for valid reasons? Are there other known methods to unlock a Storm?
    The Storm is made for this. You simply need to get the thing unlocked. CHeck with VZW as to what they require for it.
    4. All my mail is through Gmail so I don't need any special BB email plan. But I plan to do alot of websurfing and gmail. Is the BB data plan unlimited?
    Yes it is and it works well with GMail.

Can I tether it?
    Yes, for an additional fee.

Hey, thanks for any help.
    Hopefully I was of assistance & thanks for putting up with me.
    02-25-09 09:04 PM
    I believe VZW's policy regarding unlocking is that you must be a customer in good standing for 2 months. You call global support and tell them you are travelling out of the country and they should hook you up. You can also pay for unlocking, it should cost you 20-50 dollars approx.
    02-25-09 10:25 PM
    Good luck with ya purchase
    And hope everything gets to be to ya likeing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 01:47 AM
    To unlock to storm through the Verizon global support team you must meet the following conditions.
    #1- No late payments in past 60 days.
    #2- Atleast 60 days as a Verizon wireless customer.
    # 3- The phone you want unlocked must have been on your plan for at least 60 days.

This is what they told me.
    02-26-09 05:33 AM
    dont you also have to pay for the phone in full or make up the difference?
    02-27-09 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD