Hi! So I am in the middle of a 2-yr plan with Verizon on my regular cell phone. I've been wanting a BB for a while so I'm seriously looking into getting one ASAP now. But I have three questions!

1) I understand that there's like a $175 cancellation fee for ending the 2 year plan early. But does that still apply if I'm "upgrading" from a regular phone to a BB still through Verizon? (ie. if I buy a new BB through Verizon)

2) Besides that potential saving of $175 though, I am considering Verizon since the rest of my family also has Verizon - I couldn't find this on the website yesterday, but isn't it free to call other Verizon holders (regular day time that is, not weekend/night)? or does it still count towards the 450/900minutes?

3) Are there any benefits for having a BB through Verizon as opposed to other carriers? I did notice that the monthly fee is about $10 more expensive for what I *think* are all the same benefits (450 minutes call; unlimited data access, etc)... and the particular model I'm looking at is being sold for the same price across the board. So that's my only hesitation for choosing Verizon at this point...

Thanks in advance!
    12-31-08 02:45 PM
    1. The $175 early termination fee would only apply if you're canceling your service. Just so you know the etf starts out at $175 and drops $5 a month while in active service... If you're eligible to upgrade to a new phone, you would be able to upgrade to a Blackberry without paying a cancelation fee. If you're not eligible to upgrade, you would have to pay full retail price for the Blackberry.

2. If the calling plan you have, has "unlimited IN" that is unlimited Verizon Wireless to Verizon Wireless. Most of Verizon Wireless' plans include that, but there are a couple that do not, one being the 300 minute plan for $34.99.

3. Personal choice. Mostly check coverage maps and test out devices in your area. AT&T or Sprint may have better coverage in your area. Verizon Wireless has a pretty big footprint, and calling your family would be free ( since they're on Verizon Wireless already. Also some people seem to have issues with GPS being locked down, or lack of wi-fi... So, if you want open GPS, you may want to go with another carrier. If you want wi-fi, you may want to go with a different carrier.
    12-31-08 05:16 PM
    I'm doing the same thing you are, but it would be smarter in my opinion to buy a phone from some place other that Verizon. I got my BB on eBay for 130$, if you were to buy a new phone without a discount it would be around 300+$ depending on the phone you wanted.

If you're going to go my route make sure that the phone you are buying has a clean ESN number, that means that you can use it. If it were to have a bad ESN that would mean that the phone was stolen and you wouldn't be able to use it.

Good luck!
    12-31-08 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD