09-14-09 05:01 PM
73 123
tools
    Verizon confirms new data plans for feature phones - FierceWireless

i saw this article and i couldnt believe it!! appearently vzw is making new data plans for some phones, $9.99 for 25 MB and $19.99 for 75 MB and and us blackberry users get screwed over with the $30 data plan! granted we do have unltd. everything. but still. What is everyones thoughts on this?
    09-08-09 12:43 PM
    I'd end up being up to my eyes in overage charges on either of those plans.
    09-08-09 12:46 PM
    Verizon is all about a buck.....that will never change...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 12:46 PM
    Makes sense, with a BB, you can't but with those "dumb" phones, a $30 plan is not needed. Chances of the user doing more then 75 mb is not likely.
    09-08-09 12:49 PM
    Those plans are for suckers. 75mb? Lol you'll go over on day 2 it seems like a deal but wait till they bill you a few hundred. I wouldn't get it but that's me.

09-08-09 12:50 PM
    and us blackberry users get screwed over with the $30 data plan!
    The BB data plan has always been $30 bucks for unlimited, why would they change it when everyone is paying for it with minimal complaint.
    09-08-09 12:51 PM
    nah Its dumb its like the ten dollar text package, who doesnt do 500 messages a month now, trust me 29.99 for unlimited is great i would say most of the berry heads probably go over both of those usage amounts
    09-08-09 12:53 PM
    lol, with twitter alone I need unlimited access.
    Some people only do like 200 SMS a month. So that way they can same money.

i saw this article and i couldnt believe it!! appearently vzw is making new data plans for some phones, $9.99 for 25 MB and $19.99 for 75 MB and and us blackberry users get screwed over with the $30 data plan! granted we do have unltd. everything. but still. What is everyones thoughts on this?
    Are you kidding? This is offering a more affordable alternative to non-blackberry users. This has no effect whatsoever on blackberrys. Also, don't expect the blackberry data rates to get manipulated anytime soon. What most people don't know, is that the majority of the cost is regulated by RIM itself.
    09-08-09 12:57 PM
    It's actually more expensive then before. If I remember correctly, it was like $20 for the Vcast but it included unlimited data usage.
    09-08-09 12:59 PM
    I have been using 200MB+ every month. I figure as long as I get 30MB+ it's ok... still a rip off... should be $100 a month for unlimited data/voice/sms/mms/tethering.
    09-08-09 01:03 PM
    It's actually more expensive then before. If I remember correctly, it was like $20 for the Vcast but it included unlimited data usage.
    Straight out of my indirect launch document (Weekly_Data_Snapshot_09_08_2009.doc) regarding the new data plans implemented today:

What's New Today?
    Data packages for data-centric phones
    $10 V CAST Videos on Demand feature
    Category of Phones: "Enhanced Multimedia"

New Data Packages
    We're putting customers in the driver's seat when it comes to their data usage. Beginning today, customers can select how much data and what type of data they want to use.

If customers want to watch full length TV shows, plus news, sports, weather, and live entertainment video clips, they can now select V CAST Video on Demand.

o For just $10 a month, customers get Unlimited Basic Video Clips, ESPN MVP and Unlimited Megabytes for their V CAST Video and ESPN MVP usage.

If customers want to check email, surf the web and download apps, games or ringtones, they can now select from two megabyte allowance options:

o 25 MB for $9.99 monthly access
    o 75 MB for $19.99 monthly access
    Customers can also choose to pay as they go for all megabyte usage our per megabyte rate is $1.99.

--------------

As you can see, customers not using vzw for 'basic' clips (aka vcast video) are gonna be able to drop down to the $10 package, while those who want to keep everything including UNL mb usage can bump up to the $20 plan. Of course all existing vcast vpak features will be grandfathered in. I have found that through e*ROES (vzw indrect order processing application) that the vpak cannot not be provisioned anymore, even manually through Midwest COOS dept (Dealer Support). Word.
    09-08-09 01:06 PM
    i dont mind paying $30 for all that i can do
    09-08-09 01:10 PM
    Straight out of my indirect launch document (Weekly_Data_Snapshot_09_08_2009.doc) regarding the new data plans implemented today:

What's New Today?
    Data packages for data-centric phones
    $10 V CAST Videos on Demand feature
    Category of Phones: "Enhanced Multimedia"

New Data Packages
    We're putting customers in the driver's seat when it comes to their data usage. Beginning today, customers can select how much data and what type of data they want to use.

If customers want to watch full length TV shows, plus news, sports, weather, and live entertainment video clips, they can now select V CAST Video on Demand.

o For just $10 a month, customers get Unlimited Basic Video Clips, ESPN MVP and Unlimited Megabytes for their V CAST Video and ESPN MVP usage.

If customers want to check email, surf the web and download apps, games or ringtones, they can now select from two megabyte allowance options:

o 25 MB for $9.99 monthly access
    o 75 MB for $19.99 monthly access
    Customers can also choose to pay as they go for all megabyte usage our per megabyte rate is $1.99.

--------------

As you can see, customers not using vzw for 'basic' clips (aka vcast video) are gonna be able to drop down to the $10 package, while those who want to keep everything including UNL mb usage can bump up to the $20 plan. Of course all existing vcast vpak features will be grandfathered in. I have found that through e*ROES (vzw indrect order processing application) that the vpak cannot not be provisioned anymore, even manually through Midwest COOS dept (Dealer Support). Word.
    Doesn't mention but the unlimited data for the vcast videos doesn't say anything about web usage. Not that it matters to me anyways.
    09-08-09 01:13 PM
    15 actually
    09-08-09 01:25 PM
    $30 is standard for all smartphones on verizon. unlimited usage.
    09-08-09 01:42 PM
    Its more like 40$ for bb users on BIS if u want to add Vcast for 10$.

09-08-09 01:57 PM
    Doesn't mention but the unlimited data for the vcast videos doesn't say anything about web usage. Not that it matters to me anyways.
    Valid point. For clarification, the $20 Data plan is nessesary for web usage along with the rest of what the vpak previously offered.

Point is. Customers have an option now, 25mb, 75mb or UNL. Its like a le carte (Sp?). Word.
    09-08-09 02:04 PM
    Since this thread has broader appeal I'm going to transfer it to the Verizon Forum
    09-08-09 02:08 PM
    Those plans listed by the OP do not include e-mail (they can access it only via internet connection.) So $20 for 75mb internet only vs $30 unlimited internet AND e-mail. Oh yeah, unlimited BBM. Best of all, WE ARE USING BLACKBERRIES!!
    Last edited by jahoobob; 09-08-09 at 02:47 PM.
    09-08-09 02:45 PM
    Those plans listed by the OP do not include e-mail (they can access it only via internet connection.) So $20 for 75mb internet only vs $30 unlimited internet AND e-mail. Oh yeah, unlimited BBM. Best of all, WE ARE USING BLACKBERRIES!!
    What are you talking about. That 20$ plan is not compatible with a BB...
    09-08-09 02:53 PM
    This subject has been discussed in a few threads already such as here and here and in those threads you shall find links to more information.
    Personally, I think if I were going to have a phone with a required data package, number one I would want a BB and number two, I would want unlimited. Just my opinion though.
    09-08-09 04:59 PM
    With the feature phones, if you have texting, too, just opt for a Connect or Premium plan.

Connect includes unlimited messaging (compared to 5000 + unlimited M2M messages) plus unlimited data. Premium adds vCast & VZNav on top of that.

And, if you already have the vCast plan, with or without data, you're not being forced to change.

And yes, it is extremely difficult to top 75MB on a feature phone - you cannot make a direct comparison with smartphones.

09-08-09 05:03 PM
    Verizon is all about a buck.....that will never change...

As a VZ Comm shareholder, VZW customer and former VZ/VZW/GTE employee, I hope it remains that way. Their business model is winning on all sides.

09-08-09 06:01 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD