I am considering covering the phone for the first year of my contract, especially if ebay used prices come down. The Curve is around $400 dollars on ebay right now new. My NE2 cost is $100 after rebate.

For $72 a year + $50 ($122), I can have a refurb if it is lost or broken.

Alternatively, I can bite the pillow and pay $400 to ebay/VZW or cancel the phone and eat the $175 ETF and start a new line with a new Curve. This would total around $275 with a new Curve or who knows what future BB.

I normally pass on extended warranties and cover the loss myself out of savings, but loss/damage to such an expensive item makes me consider insuring it and not having to worry about someone stealing it.

Thoughts?
    05-27-08 03:42 PM
    Nah, I wouldn't insurance is a rip off if you ask me. You get a refurb and you have to pay the deductible of $50.00. Surely by then you could get another phone on ebay. And if nothing ever happens to your phone you just wasted $72.00 for that year. Verizon also has so many different options for you to upgrade your phone after one year. So, worse case scenario, threaten to cancel and I'm sure they will work something out for you.
    05-27-08 03:57 PM
    I'm a believer in insurance. I had my Treo 650 for 5 years, after it started acting up with the known problems, Sprint replaced my Treo with a Curve when they couldn't fix the problem. So, I say the insurance is well worth it.
    05-27-08 03:59 PM
    I have unsurance maybe not forever but while its new.
    05-27-08 04:20 PM
    I dropped my 8703 on the cement and ruined it. The $50 deductable was well worth it. On a blackberry I would insist on the insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 04:51 PM
    Really depends on the user. In the 7 years i've had a cellphone i've never lost or broken a single one. Never had insurance either. Just keep in mind you're carrying $400 in your pocket and you should be fine.

A decent case helps.

05-27-08 05:45 PM
    Really depends on the user. In the 7 years i've had a cellphone i've never lost or broken a single one. Never had insurance either.
    I am the same way. Never had nor needed to use insurance. I think insurance is a waist of money. Figure if something does happen, I can find another phone on eBay. On the other hand, in the worst-case scenario, buy a new one. Figured I world rather pocket the money I would pay for the insurance and use it when I need it, and if I need it
    05-27-08 07:26 PM
    i decided to opt out of insurance...i try to take care of my phone and i can pretty much afford to buy a new one if something happens to my curve...i had insurance in the past and it was a waste of money
    05-27-08 07:47 PM
    My berry is the first phone i've insured, all the rest, never have and I have a drawer full of them. Originally I didn't, but after having it a couple of days, decided it was worth it. But then, I'm pretty hard on my phones, couldn't imagine going back to a regular cell for more than a few days.

05-27-08 09:02 PM
    insurance is a must! 50 bucks for a new phone isnt bad if u ask me.... i destroy phones like a kid destroys his old action figures!!! plus.... look at it this way..... if u wanna be a scammer.... when u decide its time for a new phone.... "drop your phone and break it on accident" pay the 50 deductible.... get the new phone... dont open it... and sell it for the price as if the phone is new and never used
    05-28-08 03:00 AM
    i got the insurance on my new curve. personally, i think it's worth it...and i totally baby my phone and will likely never need to use the insurance.

my girlfriend however, decided not to get insurance on her new htc touch because "why pay for insurance?...i've never needed it before." that statement makes absolutely no sense (and then of course, i got yelled at for trying to explain the concept of insurance and statistics to her, hehe.)

anyway, more power to you guys who go without it or go with phones from ebay... I find the older I get, the less interested i am in dealing with that kinda stuff and I just want things to work, even if i have to pay for it (i.e.: the $6/month for insurance.) Funny, it doesn't seem like that long ago that i was building computers from scratch and had every gadget available before most people even knew what they were... stay young, kids. (And I'm only 28!)
    05-28-08 01:40 PM
    Since Verizon lets you buy a new phone 1 year into a 2 year contract at the subsidized (discounted + rebate) price if you sign up for another two years, I keep my insurance for the 1st year then drop it. Your NE2 gets reset but at least you don't pay full retail.

I've used it twice in 10 years so it's already paid for itself. Well, one of those was lost but one of them was an LG that just sucked, a definite lemon, but didn't go TU until a few months so the warranty was gone.

It suffered a horrible accident when I accidentally ripped it apart with my bare hands. The replacement worked fine.

One thing to consider is that Asurion will only replace 1 phone in a 12 month period. It's in the fine print. So if you lose or destroy a device tomorrow, then lose or destroy it's replacement within the following year, they aren't obligated to do anything for you.

That said, if you moan and groan and threaten to switch carriers should that happen, their retail store managers -might- offer you a new, discounted phone and contract renewal. In my experience, the corporate retail managers have wizard powers that their telephone people do not. But even their powers have limits so...
    05-30-08 04:09 AM
    I pay 28 quarterly and 30 to replace the device.
    05-30-08 05:17 AM
    For a blackberry, I totally would insure it. You never know whats going to happen, I had a Moto Krzr few years ago, and it fell out of my pocket fliped open, and I sat down on it and snapped in half, and had a new one the next day from the insurance company...i say do it...you never know..there is this thread on here some where about horror stories with eletronics. you should go check it out lol
    05-30-08 05:19 AM
    When I first got my cell phone (not a BB) years back my brother said "Dude, you have to get insurance, you never know what will happen". I considered the fact that my brother was a bit of a tool and had done thing like drop his flip into a glass of lemonade while talking on and leaning over his drink at the bar.
    I decided insurance was good for him cause he wasn't very responsible (I'm NOT saying anyone in thread who has chosen insurance is irresponsible--I KNOW someone is gonna call out on that, I just KNOW it!) I opted out of the insurance, and a few years later I've dropped my phone a few times and got a couple scratches but that's it.
    How does one lose a phone? Especially a BB?? It's never more than 3 feet from me, it would be like losing my glasses, I'd be lost without them so they never leave me!
    I worked at Circuit City a few years back for a month or so (god that place sucks!) and they drill into us that we should sell extended warranties (guess why?? They make money on them!) I wasn't into selling them and they were NOT happy with me for that.

I've taken a risk this week and opted out of insurance on my Curve, I think, and hope, I was right.
    05-30-08 07:15 AM
    It suffered a horrible accident when I accidentally ripped it apart with my bare hands. The replacement worked fine.

That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-30-08 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD