Hey guys!

Okay, so I recently jumped ship to VZW. I came from T-Mobile. AT&T buying T-Mobile made me kind of mad so I just voted with my wallet and jumped ship! A cost was a factor as well. I decided to save money by going back onto my mom's family plan (I'm in college).
    I got the new Thunderbolt yesterday and I'm loving this phone! I can't believe the 4G coverage. I am getting 4G at my house, where before I got EDGE (yes, EDGE, not even 3G!) with my T-Mobile G2. Unbelievable!

Anyway, I have some questions.

1) Tethering. Is VZW really a hard **** when it comes to this? I am a occasional (more on the rare side) wifi tether user. I plan to root my phone and use the root wifi tether app. I don't torrent or do anything crazy (I have internet at home/school) but my school's wifi is screwy sometimes so it's VERY important that I am able to wifi tether once in a while when my school wifi goes on the fritz. I did this with my G2. Like I said, it's very occasional and I don't use up tons of data....it's just when I need to. I was just wondering if I could do this without paying the extra $20/month?

2) How is their customer service, in general? T-Mobile had great customer service so I'm sort of wondering what VZW is like. So far, people have been helpful. I wanted to port my number over to VZW and ran into a small snag and CSR were very courteous to me and fixed my issue. I hope it's always like this!

3) I'm having some trouble figuring what the EXACT times are for nights/weekends. My boyfriend is switching to VZW shortly too (from Sprint) and I know on Sprint, his nights were 7pm-12am, which stunk because we are both insomniacs and talk later. What are VZW's night hours? And weekend hours?

Thank you!
    03-23-11 12:28 PM
    Night hours start at 9:00 pm and go through I believe 6:00 am. (although it may be 7:00 am). Weekends are included from Friday at 9:00 pm through Monday at 6:00 am.
    Artemis68 likes this.
    03-23-11 12:37 PM
    3) I'm having some trouble figuring what the EXACT times are for nights/weekends. My boyfriend is switching to VZW shortly too (from Sprint) and I know on Sprint, his nights were 7pm-12am, which stunk because we are both insomniacs and talk later. What are VZW's night hours? And weekend hours?

Thank you!
    Time Frame for Unlimited Nights & Weekends - Verizon Wireless Community
    Artemis68 likes this.
    03-23-11 12:38 PM
    Awesome. Thanks, this is very helpful.

It was a total pain not being able to talk past midnight with the bf because his night minutes. I still talk with 2 people who are on T-Mobile and AT&T so these night timeframes work great for me.
    03-23-11 12:41 PM
    CS is pretty good I've found and usually the phone is better to call than the store.
    Artemis68 likes this.
    03-23-11 02:56 PM
    Cool! Thanks!

Can anyone shed light on the tethering situation?
    03-23-11 03:04 PM
    Tethering in general is on the verge of a change sometime down the road, just like unlimited data...

As for the current state though, I'm sure someone can chime in.
    03-23-11 03:06 PM
    CS is pretty good I've found and usually the phone is better to call than the store.
    Definitely phone reps ftw. The store reps (and no offense to the ones who're very good at their jobs) can be hit-or-miss. That being said, I've only encountered a couple store employees that were less than helpful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 03:08 PM
    Well I know VZW has charged for tethering (both USB/wifi) with a cap for about $20/month. I'm honestly not sure if I see this changing at all, since there is a cap already involved but I don't know, that's my take.

I know that it's technically AGAINST the rules to use wifi tether without paying the $20 but like I said, I just like having it as an option if I need to use it quickly for when my wifi at school goes down (which it does sometimes, it's so bad).

You don't think that this sort of very light occasional usage will get me in trouble, will it?
    03-23-11 03:10 PM
    Definitely phone reps ftw. The store reps (and no offense to the ones who're very good at their jobs) can be hit-or-miss. That being said, I've only encountered a couple store employees that were less than helpful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, that was true for T-Mobile too. Although I have found a good corporate VZW store that is local that I like.
    03-23-11 03:11 PM
    Probably not, and odds are they will start issuing warnings first. But it's the people that tether several gb without tethering plans that are going to end up ruining it for everyone else.
    03-23-11 03:12 PM
    Okay, good to know. Yeah, I don't even come close to 1GB when I tether. Like I said, it's very occasional and light usage, mostly email/IM/school stuff until I get my connection back up.

I plan to keep my overall usage (both on my phone/tethering) to 5GB or under to avoid any possible problems. I did this on T-Mobile too just to be on the "safe side".
    03-23-11 03:15 PM
    Okay, good to know. Yeah, I don't even come close to 1GB when I tether. Like I said, it's very occasional and light usage, mostly email/IM/school stuff until I get my connection back up.

I plan to keep my overall usage (both on my phone/tethering) to 5GB or under to avoid any possible problems. I did this on T-Mobile too just to be on the "safe side".
    4G tethering is unlimited and free until May 15th on the Tbolt. Get it out of your system quick. As far as alternatives, VZW is going to offer unlimited tethering for probably about $30 after 5/15/11, but again if you're doing it 3rd party, the wifi tether apps should probably work. Not show how the apps get the connection and if it's any diff for 4g compared to 3g, but again, you don't have to worry about that until 5/15

BTW, CS is awesome!
    03-24-11 09:00 PM
    Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I'm planning to do the 3rd party route, even now. I'm thinking that they will still work after the 15th of May. I don't see why anything would change. If worse comes to worst, then I guess I'll just have to get tethering (pay for it) if the 3rd party stop working.
    03-24-11 09:49 PM
    1) Tethering. Is VZW really a hard **** when it comes to this? I am a occasional (more on the rare side) wifi tether user. I plan to root my phone and use the root wifi tether app. I don't torrent or do anything crazy (I have internet at home/school) but my school's wifi is screwy sometimes so it's VERY important that I am able to wifi tether once in a while when my school wifi goes on the fritz. I did this with my G2. Like I said, it's very occasional and I don't use up tons of data....it's just when I need to. I was just wondering if I could do this without paying the extra $20/month?
    The wifi hotspot is free with the ThunderBolt until mid-April. Check to confirm the dates. After that, the hot-spot is a $20/month (which is good for 2GB I think). VZW's threshold for tolerating tethering/hot-spot without enabling that feature has been a topic recently, given AT&Ts announcement that they were going to be less forgiving. With VZW planning to light up 140+ new markets with LTE this year alone, I suspect we will see similar stance adopted by VZW.

Just remember this though, if you choose to do this, and VZW throttles or suspends the account, it will probably affect your parents' lines as well now that you're on a "family" plan.

2) How is their customer service, in general? T-Mobile had great customer service so I'm sort of wondering what VZW is like. So far, people have been helpful. I wanted to port my number over to VZW and ran into a small snag and CSR were very courteous to me and fixed my issue. I hope it's always like this!
    I've been a VZW customer since before the merger, and I've never had a complaint about the people that help me. What I do take issue with on VZW however, is their IVR when making a CS inquiry. Too many menus and options...I just push zero now. But their IVR is unnecessary.

Nights start at 9:01PM and end at 5:59am, plus all weekend.

If you use Skype, you can use that as well.
    03-25-11 12:37 PM
    Can't speak for the free android tether app, BUT the paid tether BB program, and the coming Fixmo Tether program for BB, are no problem with limited use. Or at least that's what I have heard, since I would NEVER violate the ToS of my contract.
    03-25-11 01:10 PM
    interesting! Thanks guys!

I actually looked over stuff and I may just add a tethering plan in the future to be safe. Right now, VZW has this promo thing going on where if you get a thunderbolt (my phone) you get FREE unlimited wifi tethering until sometime in mid-May. It's pretty neat. I am just going to use that for now and we'll see what happens after that.
    03-27-11 11:15 PM
    hows the service compared to T-Mobile apart from just your house?
    03-29-11 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD